“We will immediately repeal and replace…”

It will be fine

Paying almost 8000/month for my mother's Assisted Living Facility. With her IRA's, annuities and selling her home, have enough to pay for it for about four years. Luckily have siblings near her, to take her to her appointments. Place charges $120 each way to take her to her doctor's appointments.
Just send an Uber.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If people would buy Long Term Care insurance, many issues with getting old would be lessened. Won't eliminate every issue, but having insurance that pays 4k a month will go a long way toward nursing home cost. LTC insurance was available from Fedex for the cost of a good dinner out but I bet not many people took advantage of the opportunity.

My stepfather until he recently passed away did not yet qualify for Medicaid, due to the lookback period for gifting.

He was self-paying at a little over 9k/month.

Oldfart

My stepfather until he recently passed away did not yet qualify for Medicaid, due to the lookback period for gifting.

Guess I am fortunate that I live in a lower cost of living area. My mother in law is in a very nice place and it is right at 4500 a month.

bacha29

The fees you quoted are in line with what is charged in my area as well. I recently spent 28 days in a nursing/ rehab center undergoing rehabilatation for a second hip joint replacement. The fee was $ 266 per day plus every trip down to the rehab department involved additional billing of around $140 per service. And home health nurses ? $180 per visit. In my state there is also a presumption of death rule whereby you can try to give everything to the kids then go to a nursing home and many have tried it only to discover that in order to get way with it you have to do it quite few years in advance and be subject to gift taxes if the amount of property is above a certain amount. Likewise we also have the "Estate Recovery Act" whereby if you been receiving Medicaid benefits including those going to pay nursing homes costs the state can investigate to see if the deceased had any assets left that could be liquidated in order to pay back Medicaid. I can think we can all agree on one thing.Long term care insurance is helpful but it's benefits are limited and so in the end without careful estate planning which involves things like non revocable trusts etc which are for the most part designed with the wealthiest among us in mind your personal assets will likely be the first to go among the missing if you end up in a nursing home.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The fees you quoted are in line with what is charged in my area as well. I recently spent 28 days in a nursing/ rehab center undergoing rehabilatation for a second hip joint replacement. The fee was $ 266 per day plus every trip down to the rehab department involved additional billing of around $140 per service. And home health nurses ? $180 per visit. In my state there is also a presumption of death rule whereby you can try to give everything to the kids then go to a nursing home and many have tried it only to discover that in order to get way with it you have to do it quite few years in advance and be subject to gift taxes if the amount of property is above a certain amount. Likewise we also have the "Estate Recovery Act" whereby if you been receiving Medicaid benefits including those going to pay nursing homes costs the state can investigate to see if the deceased had any assets left that could be liquidated in order to pay back Medicaid. I can think we can all agree on one thing.Long term care insurance is helpful but it's benefits are limited and so in the end without careful estate planning which involves things like non revocable trusts etc which are for the most part designed with the wealthiest among us in mind your personal assets will likely be the first to go among the missing if you end up in a nursing home.

5 year lookback.

LTC policies have inflation adjusters built in.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
if i need someone to help me make it to the bathroom, my long term care will be a self-injected 9mm para

it's ridiculous that we as a society want to extend life beyond what the body can handle by itself

sure have a great retirement for as long as you last, but once you're a net drain, do everyone a favor and just end it

note i don't think this should be government policy, just a societal value

bacha29

if i need someone to help me make it to the bathroom, my long term care will be a self-injected 9mm para

it's ridiculous that we as a society want to extend life beyond what the body can handle by itself

sure have a great retirement for as long as you last, but once you're a net drain, do everyone a favor and just end it

Sure pal you can talk the talk but when it comes down to actually make that decision it's entirely different. My mother died of brain cancer. She lived in exact accordance with the time line normally associated with brain cancer, 7 months and the last 3 weren't worth living. It was hard to watch an active and intelligent woman's intellect waste away including her hearing which the tumor destroyed. But my brother and I stayed with her until the end. We make certain that she had access to her final conscious thought. Why? Because her father took his own life at a time when her mother was on her death bed with cancer. The family never truly recovered. So you can talk the suicide talk if you want but the ones who do very seldom do it and you too will fight for every breath. It's the person whom you least expect to take their own life are the ones who actually do it..

Meat

Paying almost 8000/month for my mother's Assisted Living Facility. With her IRA's, annuities and selling her home, have enough to pay for it for about four years. Luckily have siblings near her, to take her to her appointments. Place charges $120 each way to take her to her doctor's appointments.

I sympathize, man. Unfortunately, until the general public starts to push back, that's what we can expect - electoral politics, both parties, is a total failure.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
You need to research what you claiming ,You need to check your insurance carrier obviously their scamming you .

newfie

something to be said for that thought. why drain funds that the family can use to extend a vegetative life.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
I'll chew on that as I listen to Maxine Waters raise concerns about Russia invading Korea and Pelosi who thinks Obama is still president and Kaisick is now governor of Illinois.
Ryan had 8 years to create a healthcare plan,and he failed, I think he going to be replace .Now TRUMP TEAM going to create another fake news.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ryan had 8 years to create a healthcare plan,and he failed, I think he going to be replace .Now TRUMP TEAM going to create another fake news.
My take on it is that everyone thought Hilary was going to win. The old boy scout adage comes to mind....."Be prepared".

bbsam

Staff member
not over. chapter one
download (2).jpg

Oh look. Second verse, same as the first!