“We will immediately repeal and replace…”

bbsam

Staff member
download (3).jpg

Look! The "not a politician" is a politician!

dudebro

if i need someone to help me make it to the bathroom, my long term care will be a self-injected 9mm para

it's ridiculous that we as a society want to extend life beyond what the body can handle by itself

sure have a great retirement for as long as you last, but once you're a net drain, do everyone a favor and just end it

note i don't think this should be government policy, just a societal value

I would have said some crap like that when I was young and invincible. Then you see it happen to people you love and the effect on the entire family, multiple times, and if you have any empathy, your position changes.

"Hope I die before I get old". Look at Pete Townshend now, old, deaf, and selling his songs to Chevy for money he doesn't even need (his business, but still).

Also, that is a dangerous slippery slope. Should they start taking the disabled and doing the same? How different from 1940's Germany would that be?

It will be fine

I would have said some crap like that when I was young and invincible. Then you see it happen to people you love and the effect on the entire family, multiple times, and if you have any empathy, your position changes.

"Hope I die before I get old". Look at Pete Townshend now, old, deaf, and selling his songs to Chevy for money he doesn't even need (his business, but still).

Also, that is a dangerous slippery slope. Should they start taking the disabled and doing the same? How different from 1940's Germany would that be?
"They" shouldn't be doing anything. I'm assuming by they you mean the state. The state shouldn't have any say in the matter. If someone that is terminal wants to end their life they should be allowed to. Preferably peacefully under a doctor's supervision. I'd take a nice helping of morphine over a gun to the temple any day.

dudebro

"They" shouldn't be doing anything. I'm assuming by they you mean the state. The state shouldn't have any say in the matter. If someone that is terminal wants to end their life they should be allowed to. Preferably peacefully under a doctor's supervision. I'd take a nice helping of morphine over a gun to the temple any day.

But when it becomes legal, it also begins to be seen as moral, and the state can morph to mean society in this case. Would you want it to be socially unacceptable not to kill a Down's Syndrome child? Have to maybe hide that child from your neighbors?

What about people suffering a temporary bout of extreme depression, who think with 100% certainty they want to die, but who look back 5 years later and say, "I'm glad I didn't do that!". The doctor thing is a red herring. Look hard enough, and you'll find a scumbag with an MD willing to do anything. Look at Michael Jackson.

I lean libertarian, but there are times when we need the support of others. No one is a perfect island 100% of the time.

Last edited:

It will be fine

But when it becomes legal, it also begins to be seen as moral, and the state can morph to mean society in this case. Would you want it to be socially unacceptable not to kill a Down's Syndrome child? Have to maybe hide that child from your neighbors?

What about people suffering a temporary bout of extreme depression, who think with 100% certainty they want to die, but who look back 5 years later and say, "I'm glad I didn't do that!". The doctor thing is a red herring. Look hard enough, and you'll find a scumbag with an MD willing to do anything. Look at Michael Jackson.

I lean libertarian, but there are times when we need the support of others. No one is a perfect island 100% of the time.
That's why I said someone that is terminal, as in has a terminal illness. If you had the choice of a long drawn out painful and costly death or painlessly falling alseep which would you choose? Shouldn't that choice be yours to make instead of the state?

bacha29

Ryan had 8 years to create a healthcare plan,and he failed, I think he going to be replace .Now TRUMP TEAM going to create another fake news.
There are indeed rumblings inside the GOP regarding replacing Ryan. His biggest worry is simply getting reelected. If he is he will not likely be elected House Speaker even if his party retains it's majority. If it doesn't then I seriously doubt that he will be elected House Minority Leader. Here's the problem. The Boomer generation is getting old and sick and after millions of them having spent their entire working life spans making somebody else rich they are saying to the elite class who are the primary constituency of the GOP ....." time to pay up" . But that constituency is resisting leaving the political power base of the GOP exposed. Needing somebody to blame it on party leadership is fair game.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
There are indeed rumblings inside the GOP regarding replacing Ryan. His biggest worry is simply getting reelected. If he is he will not likely be elected House Speaker even if his party retains it's majority. If it doesn't then I seriously doubt that he will be elected House Minority Leader. Here's the problem. The Boomer generation is getting old and sick and after millions of them having spent their entire working life spans making somebody else rich they are saying to the elite class who are the primary constituency of the GOP ....." time to pay up" . But that constituency is resisting leaving the political power base of the GOP exposed. Needing somebody to blame it on party leadership is fair game.
Saving money deny health care to the sick and poor people should look for food in the woods !?!

BrownArmy

"Death panels" do have merit.

Never had any merit under the initial implementation of the ACA.

Ironically, anything close to 'death panels' would have been a much closer reality if the AHA had passed.

Now, we could have a robust and substantial discussion about the amount of money our healthcare system pays for 'end-of-life' care, but running around and screaming "DEATH PANELS" isn't that discussion.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
“…Obamacare – and nobody can do that like me. We will save $’s and have much better healthcare!”

What a disaster this country has become! Seven years of trashing Obamacare and that’s the piece of garage they came up with? Your average wanker off the street could have done a better job – an absolute disgrace!

Cue Van to come in and say “Well, he’s a populist, so of course his own party doesn’t support him; it’s not embarrassing at all that they can’t pass a single piece of legislation when they own both houses of congress and the presidency.”

I shudder to think what the encore will be, but rest assured it’s going to be a total disaster!
It's complicated!