“You guys are way overpaid!”

Zowert

Tell her you wished you got the summer off, long breaks at Christmas and were off the clock by 4 pm every day. Or just tell her that you used to teach too and decided to go where the money is. Most people who know what we make also know that we earn it.
I miss my summers off. Sometimes when I’m out baking in the back of my truck in 90° heat I wish I was still teaching. In the winter when I’m freezing my balls off I wish I was back in a nice climate controlled classroom. If teenagers weren’t little punks I might still be there. You tell them to put their damn phone away or you’re going to take it from them and they mouth off. Had one kid tell me to go, you know what, myself. I really wanted to slap some of them.

Edited, phone is crapping out.

Zowert

UPDATE

So this particular street where this Karen lives is typically on the route next to me but once in a while they will put it on me if that route is heavy. I know the driver of that route, who normally delivers to her. I called him up to see if he would take care of it for me. Turns out this woman is going through a nasty divorce, so it all makes sense now. He said she can be a real hothead at times for no reason. She calls the cops on her neighbors all the time for crazy stuff. Just a real piece of work. Fortunately this driver is on good terms with her. She gets a lot of wine deliveries so he deals with her a lot.

Anyway, I’m meeting him at the air drop later to give him the box of wine so he can deal with that maniac. I just can’t put up with abuse from customers without chirping back, so this is the best way. Sorry, kind of an uneventful ending.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
UPDATE

So this particular street where this Karen lives is typically on the route next to me but once in a while they will put it on me if that route is heavy. I know the driver of that route, who normally delivers to her. I called him up to see if he would take care of it for me. Turns out this woman is going through a nasty divorce, so it all makes sense now. He said she can be a real hothead at times for no reason. She calls the cops on her neighbors all the time for crazy stuff. Just a real piece of work. Fortunately this driver is on good terms with her. She gets a lot of wine deliveries so he deals with her a lot.

Anyway, I’m meeting him at the air drop later to give him the box of wine so he can deal with that maniac. I just can’t put up with abuse from customers without chirping back, so this is the best way. Sorry, kind of an uneventful ending.
Divorce? No surprise there. Discretion is sometimes the better part of valor.

Zowert

Divorce? No surprise there. Discretion is sometimes the better part of valor.
I know right. I found it kind of weird how this driver knows so much about the lady. To be honest she is not bad looking for a woman in her 40’s. Maybe like a 7 out of 10. So maybe, I’m going out on a limb here. The driver has a thing for her. Then again he’s been on that route for over a decade. You really get to know some people when you see them a couple times a week. The fact he knows about the divorce though. Oh and he was more than willing to take the extra stop, hmm….

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I know right. I found it kind of weird how this driver knows so much about the lady. To be honest she is not bad looking for a woman in her 40’s. Maybe like a 7 out of 10. So maybe, I’m going out on a limb here. The driver has a thing for her. Then again he’s been on that route for over a decade. You really get to know some people when you see them a couple times a week. The fact he knows about the divorce though. Oh and he was more than willing to take the extra stop, hmm….
The plot thickens…..

Cowboy Mac

That’s the type of stuff you learn about people when you’re on a route for a long time. You get to see all the stages of life. From kids growing up to divorce, to surgeries, to elderly people dying. A lot of times customers would openly share that type of info without me asking. Those are your people, even if some of them are freakin crazy.

DOK

Just thought I’d share a little incident with a customer today.

I was delivering a box of hello fresh to this house when the customer abruptly opened her front door. It was an unusual door because it opened outward instead of in, so it startled me and I accidentally dropped the box. It wasn’t damaged or anything. Pick it up and hand it over, “Sorry about that.” Customer says, “Oh nice job idiot!” Now I’m not sure why I said this but I did, “I know right. At forty bucks an hour I shouldn’t be dropping crap.” Only I used the S word.

“YOU MAKE HOW MUCH?!!” Literally screaming at me. I’m thinking, Jesus lady calm the ef down. I said, “Have a nice day” and turned to walk away. She continues to bark at me, “If they’re paying you forty dollars an hour to deliver boxes! That’s ridiculous! I don’t believe it.” I said, “You’re right, I’m lying to you. Bye bye now.” As I’m walking away she continues to rant. “Here I am with a Master’s, educating our youth for half what you make. What is wrong with society?! YOU GUYS ARE WAY OVERPAID!”

Funny thing is I was a public school teacher for close to five years. Yeah the pay is kinda low but you know what you’re signing up for. Anyway, it’s going to be real awkward delivering to that customer from now on. I wish I knew how to keep my big mouth shut.

How much do most people think we make anyway? Minimum wage?
They could google ups driver pay, it’s all there.

SandSpida

UPDATE

Two ways to make this ladies head explode. One way is far fetched but the 2nd is doable. Try to borrow or rent or borrow a really expensive car, Lamborghini or Ferrari. Something of that caliber. Drive up to her house in it and tell her you were on your way home and her package was left in the building and you were delivering it on your way home.

Or, when delivering her wine, if she is in bitch mode tell her that it specifically states on the label of the box, Not to deliver to someone that may seem intoxicated, and you believe she is. My rule is I treat people the way they treat me.

Brownwind

UPDATE

You definitely handled it like a professional. Why get into an argument with Karen if you don’t have to. Let her enjoy the wine and you enjoy your dignity.
We all have nut jobs on our routes. Wish we could publish a book and have the ones who call us overpaid read it.

Zowert

You definitely handled it like a professional. Why get into an argument with Karen if you don’t have to. Let her enjoy the wine and you enjoy your dignity.
We all have nut jobs on our routes. Wish we could publish a book and have the ones who call us overpaid read it.
Hey thank you. I kinda felt like I was wussing out because there was a good chance of confrontation. Avoiding it was the best way. The driver that does that street normally is going to grab her stuff off my truck whenever they put part of his route on mine, which isn’t often so I don’t feel too bad about that.

As for the book, I was thinking about writing one when I retire but wasn’t sure if people would actually be interested in it. I only have a handful of good stories so far, hopefully there will be enough for a book 20 years down the road. I’m looking to grab an easier route when one hits the bid sheet. So we’ll see.

Zowert

Or, when delivering her wine, if she is in bitch mode tell her that it specifically states on the label of the box, Not to deliver to someone that may seem intoxicated, and you believe she is. My rule is I treat people the way they treat me.
Oh my god that is genius. “Ma’am I smell alcohol on your breath and you seem intoxicated. Therefore I cannot, by law, deliver this alcoholic beverage to you. I’m sorry but we will have to try again tomorrow, hopefully you can manage to contain your alcoholism by then. Have a wonderful evening.”

I wish I had the balls to do that lol! I think there’s a good chance she would get violent if I did. I‘d let her beat me up for a lawsuit. Doesn‘t Teamsters have lawyers for this kind of stuff?