“You guys are way overpaid!”

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Oh my god that is genius. “Ma’am I smell alcohol on your breath and you seem intoxicated. Therefore I cannot, by law, deliver this alcoholic beverage to you. I’m sorry but we will have to try again tomorrow, hopefully you can manage to contain your alcoholism by then. Have a wonderful evening.”

I wish I had the balls to do that lol! I think there’s a good chance she would get violent if I did. I‘d let her beat me up for a lawsuit. Doesn‘t Teamsters have lawyers for this kind of stuff?
Point out how great the health insurance is, especially for liver transplants

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Oh my god that is genius. “Ma’am I smell alcohol on your breath and you seem intoxicated. Therefore I cannot, by law, deliver this alcoholic beverage to you. I’m sorry but we will have to try again tomorrow, hopefully you can manage to contain your alcoholism by then. Have a wonderful evening.”

I wish I had the balls to do that lol! I think there’s a good chance she would get violent if I did. I‘d let her beat me up for a lawsuit. Doesn‘t Teamsters have lawyers for this kind of stuff?
Have someone record it

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
A hundred years ago, I was at the front counter of a lumber store getting a signature. There were probably four or five working behind the counter and twelve to fifteen customers. I was waiting on a signature. Suddenly, a guy standing a few feet from me grunts loud enough for myself and several others to turn and look at him.
He's staring at me and loudly says in a disgusting tone that echos in the warehouse , "Twenty bucks and hour. Twenty bucks and hour."( I think we were at $28 somethin). He keeps repeating it.
I get the sig and turn around. By then all eyes are on me for a reaction. He repeats as I turn and face him, "Twenty bucks an hour." And shakes his head.
"Twenty bucks an hour? Hell, buddy, I wouldn't get out of bed for that." I breezed by victorious.

Zowert

That’s the type of stuff you learn about people when you’re on a route for a long time. You get to see all the stages of life. From kids growing up to divorce, to surgeries, to elderly people dying. A lot of times customers would openly share that type of info without me asking. Those are your people, even if some of them are freakin crazy.
Yeah this is true. A couple months ago I was trying to deliver a signature required envelope to this run down house, a neighbor saw me and walked up to tell me the customer passed away. I asked if there were any family members they knew of, thinking I could reroute it to their address. He said the guy lived alone, he was pretty much a hermit and kept to himself so he had no idea. I told him I was sorry to hear that. The neighbor said, “Yeah, same here. The only thing I knew about the man was that he was a Vietnam War vet that had a lot problems.” That was the first and only time I sheeted something as ‘deceased’. It was really sad.

Zowert

I get the sig and turn around. By then all eyes are on me for a reaction. He repeats as I turn and face him, "Twenty bucks an hour." And shakes his head.
"Twenty bucks an hour? Hell, buddy, I wouldn't get out of bed for that." I breezed by victorious.
That was a sweet burn, lol! What if you said, “Actually it’s twenty-eight bucks an hour. Plus health insurance and a pension.” I wonder what that maroon was trying to insinuate by repeating that? I’ve heard of drivers getting hate from people simply because they feel we make too much money. I never believed it until I slipped and said, “I know right, at forty bucks an hour I shouldn’t be dropping :censored2:“ to a crazy lady.

Zowert

Or don't have time.
Even during peak when we are working 60 hours a week, sometimes more with the 70 hour rule, my stay at home wife finds time to cook me healthy meals from groceries she hand selected at Costco. Don’t give me that, “don’t have time” nonsense. Get a wife!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I get an uncomfortable feeling when customers ask how much we make as drivers, I usually say starting pay is around $20. Sometimes get the follow up, no how much do you make?
Ask them how much they make. Who has the audacity to just ask someone how much they make?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Hey thank you. I kinda felt like I was wussing out because there was a good chance of confrontation. Avoiding it was the best way. The driver that does that street normally is going to grab her stuff off my truck whenever they put part of his route on mine, which isn’t often so I don’t feel too bad about that.

As for the book, I was thinking about writing one when I retire but wasn’t sure if people would actually be interested in it. I only have a handful of good stories so far, hopefully there will be enough for a book 20 years down the road. I’m looking to grab an easier route when one hits the bid sheet. So we’ll see.
There is plenty of material on the BC......Karens , dog bites, affairs, fights, divorces , funny , sad, family , and more.

Zowert

There is plenty of material on the BC......Karens , dog bites, affairs, fights, divorces , funny , sad, family , and more.
If I used content from Brown Cafe to write a book about driving for UPS, publish it and it actually sells then I’m kind of treading in a legal gray area depending on how I write the book.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I especially like the story when you took a wrong turn in Oakland at 3am, pulling doubles and drove into cul-de-sac & 3 “brothers” tried to rob you 🤣 🤣