1.7 billion in cuts!

vantexan

Corporations will sell their goods and services at the greatest profit in every market with taxes and regulation all factored in.

But if you increase taxes and regulation they'll seek alternatives that are more profitable. That's why I like my idea of letting them drill on public land and keeping that oil in this market in exchange for tax incentives. Oops, wait, here come the screaming environmentalists.

DontThrowPackages

.............................................................."should I look for something else?".
A super courier at our station,not even 30 years old, has a new job lined up. He doesn't plan on telling the company he's leaving until he gives his 2 week notice in December. When I say super courier, I mean the type that blows up a route while the regular courier is on vacation. The type that takes pictures of all the astra labels with his Iphone and delivers on is lunch. He said by the time he's 35, he will be making more than what the company would be paying him at the same time. Didn't ask what his new job is but its going to be hard on the company to lose a guy like that during peak.

bbsam

Staff member
But if you increase taxes and regulation they'll seek alternatives that are more profitable. That's why I like my idea of letting them drill on public land and keeping that oil in this market in exchange for tax incentives. Oops, wait, here come the screaming environmentalists.

Can't do it. You'd set off a trade war that would make a China/US trade war look tame. Prices would absolutely skyrocket.

TUT

You have never and never will have that purple pride that we had...never! You dont have a clue....This was not a regular company, It was Federal Express, that took care of its people.

Right, I don't work for Fedex. But pride in a working force wasn't unique at all to Fedex, get over that. I came here originally for UPS Union happenings, they've had the same slippage in company pride as so have 100's of other major companies. At the same point I am agreeing that it has slipped, for a couple logical reason, not saying good one's or what would jesus do reasons, but cold business one's for sure.

Lordtekk

^^^^^^^witness Lordtekk from where the hate cometh^^^^^^^
You have to understand they are upset and I don't blame them. I'm upset also but nothing is ever going to be done till the day Fedex becomes organized. But as usual we will never organize because too many people in the company accept the status quo and are scared to lose their jobs. Think about people like Goldi,myself who have spent over half their lives working at Federal Express then Fedex,when people had no idea who we were,we looked like security guards in the early uniforms,to what it is today and we helped build it to respectability . And what do we get for our efforts ? The biggest screw job that an employee can get.

Lordtekk

Come on dude I thought we were going to leave politics out of this ? I am one of the environmentalists that you say is screaming. By the way all the oil that is produced in the U.S. is sold on the world market who in turn makes the prices. Regulations and taxes are then placed after it is bought. And at least it's better than Europe who pays double what we do. Anyway back to the topic. I still can't believe you are conservative. :faint:

bbsam

Staff member
You have to understand they are upset and I don't blame them. I'm upset also but nothing is ever going to be done till the day Fedex becomes organized. But as usual we will never organize because too many people in the company accept the status quo and are scared to lose their jobs. Think about people like Goldi,myself who have spent over half their lives working at Federal Express then Fedex,when people had no idea who we were,we looked like security guards in the early uniforms,to what it is today and we helped build it to respectability . And what do we get for our efforts ? The biggest screw job that an employee can get.
I have said thant I understand people being upset. I simply said they are the ones spewing hatred at =round, not the other way around.

bbsam

Staff member
Come on dude I thought we were going to leave politics out of this ? I am one of the environmentalists that you say is screaming. By the way all the oil that is produced in the U.S. is sold on the world market who in turn makes the prices. Regulations and taxes are then placed after it is bought. And at least it's better than Europe who pays double what we do. Anyway back to the topic. I still can't believe you are conservative. :faint:

It does boggle the mind.

vantexan

Prices are set on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Regulations on oil companies are followed in the production of that oil, adding to the cost. And the fact is that environmentalists use the courts to block attempts to drill on public lands. Ever hear of ANWAR?

StuffItFred

Smith is much more interested in looking like a big shot sponsoring Nascar and golf. So much money wasted on stupid stuff, no wonder why express isn't "profitable enough."

That is the problem. He could care less about his "workforce" anymore. I would like to see him strapped into any single car of nascar with the throttle jammed at 190mph at Daytona. Oh and by the way Freddy the steering wheel is also disconnected! Of course I would like Handy (aka Matt) as his copilot. Let's cut the throats of our employees but continue to toss millions away on one single sponsorship. :funny:

Lordtekk

Prices are set on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Regulations on oil companies are followed in the production of that oil, adding to the cost. And the fact is that environmentalists use the courts to block attempts to drill on public lands. Ever hear of ANWAR?
Yes I have,and the oil that would come from it would not be able to sustain the oil this country consumes nor would it lower the gas prices immediately. The only thing we can do is to find alternative fuels,we are supposedly so technologically advanced but yet still use carbon producing fossil fuel. Also remember this earth is not just ours,other species have been on it longer than us and have a right to coexist with us. If not for the environment then do it for the wildlife.:sad-little:

vantexan

Yes I have,and the oil that would come from it would not be able to sustain the oil this country consumes nor would it lower the gas prices immediately. The only thing we can do is to find alternative fuels,we are supposedly so technologically advanced but yet still use carbon producing fossil fuel. Also remember this earth is not just ours,other species have been on it longer than us and have a right to coexist with us. If not for the environment then do it for the wildlife.:sad-little:

There is no viable substitute. And fracking has produced sources such as the Bakken Field in North Dakota that have given us plenty of oil to meet our needs. Canada next door now has proven reserves greater than Saudi Arabia. And much of the reason we have high prices is that environmentalists throw up roadblocks in courts. If your efforts have caused greater emissions controls great. But emissions have been greatly reduced, time to get out of the way and let people go about their lives. The goal to completely wean us off petroleum and coal isn't obtainable. And even if the U.S. did everything perfectly you'd still have China and others polluting. China has passed us as the world's biggest carbon emitter and yet their economy is 1/3rd our size. Think about that as they grow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The goal to completely wean us off petroleum and coal isn't obtainable.

If the "us" you are talking about is the U.S. then I disagree--the goal is most certainly attainable, although it will not happen in our lifetime.

If the "us" you are talking about is the planet then I also disagree, although it will most certainly not happen in our lifetime, our children's lifetime and their children's llfetime.

vantexan

If the "us" you are talking about is the U.S. then I disagree--the goal is most certainly attainable, although it will not happen in our lifetime.

If the "us" you are talking about is the planet then I also disagree, although it will most certainly not happen in our lifetime, our children's lifetime and their children's llfetime.

Name the fuel that's going to power everything? Think electricity from solar will do the job? Power tractor-trailers and freight trains?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Name the fuel that's going to power everything? Think electricity from solar will do the job? Power tractor-trailers and freight trains?

Let's limit our conversation to the US on this subject. Look at our progression as a nation. We have always used whatever natural resources have been available to us. Wood was the primary source of heat for our first settlers. Steam generated from burning wood (and later coal) was used to power our trains and barges. The discovery of electricity provided yet another fuel source. Petroleum products reduced our dependence on wood and steam. Solar/wind/hydrogen/natural gas will reduce our dependence on petroleum products and fossil fuels.

Will we ever be fossil fuel free? Yes, but not in our lifetime.

MAKAVELI

I think alot of people are ignorant and stick their heads in the sand about the relationship about fossil fuels and our environment. Just look at China where they have 3 times the population as America and their manufacturing and non existant environmental policies have taken them. That country is so polluted and a majority of its people still live in poverty. If Brazil can be independent from foriegn oil with ethanol than I'm sure the richest, most powerful, and most technology advanced country in the world can do it with a variety of alternate energy sources. Just look how fast technology has exploded in the past 20 years. It will happen. It will just take more focus of resources to develop them. Oil is not the answer. Our planet is not getting any smaller we need to do whatever we have to make for our future generations.

TUT

I think alot of people are ignorant and stick their heads in the sand about the relationship about fossil fuels and our environment. Just look at China where they have 3 times the population as America and their manufacturing and non existant environmental policies have taken them. That country is so polluted and a majority of its people still live in poverty. If Brazil can be independent from foriegn oil with ethanol than I'm sure the richest, most powerful, and most technology advanced country in the world can do it with a variety of alternate energy sources. Just look how fast technology has exploded in the past 20 years. It will happen. It will just take more focus of resources to develop them. Oil is not the answer. Our planet is not getting any smaller we need to do whatever we have to make for our future generations.

The biggest factor is those in power allowing it to happen.

vantexan

Brazil's ethanol comes from sugar cane, not corn, and they have a year-round growing season. Plus if Brazil is so free of petroleum then why did they get so excited when they discovered a major oil deposit off their coast a couple of years ago? Fact is there's no viable alternative to oil now or on the horizon. Clean up the emissions, get high mpg vehicles, but not much more than that can be done with severe consequences to life as we know it. And don't forget the clear cutting in the Amazon by Brazilians either.

MAKAVELI

I didn't say ethanol was the answer if you read my post. I said if " Brazil can be indepenent from foreign oil with ethanol than we can certainly do it with a variety of alternate energy sources." And the clear cutting is not a result of their ethanol production which has been a practice for decades for cattle grazing and other uses. We have the technology and resources to develop new energy sources. Why do you think gas prices continue to rise when demand has been on the decline as vehicles become more efficient. Because they can. Its the only game in town. When that monopoly is torn down then that will change.