10.5 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wily_old_vet

pcm given yesterday that no driver will work one minute past 10.5. If you are unable to make it back to the bldg and be off in 10.5 you are to park the truck, notify center and punch out. You are supposed to wait with the truck for two supervisors to come meet you and bring you and the truck back to the bldg. Reactions anyone?

T

toonertoo

If Im waiting, Im getting paid. People in hell want ice water too. If they dont want us out past 10.5 there is a way to do it.....its called studying the dispatch, and knowing how to.

V

vet

Try that in a small center....Who "helps you out" if the other drivers are just as busy as you....... How about this week? Our volume has been through the roof & Friday will be just as bad or worse with Mother's Day. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL YOU MOMS OUT THERE.

The story is that it'll go from 10.5 to 10 in a coupla months. I do not like working those kinda hours; BUT I do it for the customers & MY reputation. I.E...I've been ignoring their curfews, but not for long.

U

upsdude

No working over 950 in our area without approval via text message. No one works over 10. We are to record any non delivered packages as missed.

U

upsdude

I don't know speed, this flavor has been on the menu for about 3 months. Works for me.
thumbsup.gif

U

upsdude

Just to add a little more info. We have a new center manager that is very hands on and visible. He spends more time on the belt than in the office. In other words, dispatch has been a top priority and start times have been moved from 850 to 830. I left and delivered my first stop yesterday at 839. In the past we would be lucky to leave at 905. Anyone that has been driving more than 3 days knows how much an early left building time helps with the work day. The manager credits doing the right thing, recording missed packages as missed and not hiding them, as the reason we have added several new drivers and new routes. Today we will have 3 on vacation, 3 on PHs, 1 on comp and the usual 1 or 2 call ins. Ill bet we still have another 1 or 2 folks get a request off.

Of course all of this will change when PAS comes in September.
biggrin.gif

B

brownsyr

<font color="000000"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>heck i have been retired now for 41/2 years and we had the 9.5 rule when i was there. they use to meet us at the gas pumps and tell us to punch out. </font>}

S

safety

You cannot puch out since you have not returned to your center. You are to be paid for all time worked per contract.

P

proups

upsdude: don't be so negative about PAS.

You sound like those NASCAR drivers you inspect complaining about next year's spoiler rules when they haven't even experienced them yet!

lol.gif

By the way, I saw that NASCAR made Jeff Gordon come over for a spoiler check prior to going to victory lane last Sunday at Talladega. I was thinking the same thing you guys were: he was way too good that day. He could pass people without the draft. What a dominating car. I guess it was legit, since he went on to victory lane!

S

sendagain

It's stupid to overdispatch drivers, and even more offensive to have a driver punch out with work still left in his truck. Remember how Service was in our name? I never went back with work on my truck, and nobody ever said squat about it. People who do can wave goodbye to the customers who aren't getting their packages delivered on time.

W

wily_old_vet

Only a couple of people got what I was driving at. They are saying to park the truck, notify the center and then punch out when you have not returned to the bldg by their arbitrary time. In other words no pay while you sit and wait for a supervisor to come get you. What happens if you have 5 drivers have to do this. If I ever have to park the truck along side of the road I will have someone else pick me up and they can get their truck whenever they damn well please.

P

proups

Vet: while I totally disagree with what you are being asked to do, don't park the truck and leave it. Do that, and you can kiss the job bye-bye.

I don't see how the center can ask you to punch out and sit and wait. That brings up all kinds of legal questions. Somebody from that center needs to whisper in HR's ear.

U

upsdude

Proups.....

Now now, when I use one of these
biggrin.gif
my tounge is firmly planted in my cheek!

On to Nascar...They do a spoiler check on everyone as they enter pit road after the race. Me thinks Gordon swiped one of the Red #8's and painted a rainbow in it!
biggrin.gif

S

steamheat

It's not about service anymore; profit is all that matters.

I

ironylife

10.5 will be nationwide soon. This is good for drivers who are use to working 12+ hours a day, but bad for customers because of the missed packages. There has been some hiring and more routes put in for 10.5 reasons, but there are still some missed packages. UPS do the right thing and make sure drivers are working under 10.5 hours and that ALL packages are being serviced. Customers are paying ups on the service, lets follow through on it. let fedex be the ones who miss deliveries.

P

proups

I agree - we must service our customers. I have seen efforts to reduce the paid day.

I think it may be that UPS finds itself talking out of both sides of it's mouth on this issue. One one hand, we have PAS/DPS that is supposed to reduce drivers, and on the other hand we have volume growth that requires more drivers.

Hmmmm....what to do?

uhoh.gif

R

rushfan

Yep the 10.5 thing is nationwide. We are told not to go over 10.5. If we are, help will be on it's way. Usually, there is help.

I too have noticed volume growth.

S

scratch_king

I hope more help is on the way. Friday I ran 176 stops on a mostly DR route where dispatch range is 120-140 stops. Normally I am over-dispatched at 150 stops. I can never understand why UPS would rather pay us $38.05 an hour overtime instead of putting in a P/T driver on a split route.

Status
Not open for further replies.