10 hours off dot violation

AKCoverMan

Question to OP... what work did you do the previous day, and at what times. Then, what times did you work preload and then later drive? Can’t reslly answer question without that info.

If you drove day before and didn’t have ten hours between punch out and start of next morning preload then yeah you did violate. DOT hours is joint responsibility, basically you have obligation to know the rules and tell them you can’t drive. If no other occurrence can’t see it being more that a documented “talked to” or at worst a warning letter that has no effect on you so long as you mind DOT rules next nine months.

AKCoverMan

You can not be disciplined for refusing to violate DOT regulations. Unfortunately new guys are not educated in these areas either by the company or the Union.
Exactly.. sometimes people take the phrase “work as directed” too literally. There is no need to work as directed if a Member is directed to do something illegal, dishonest, or unsafe.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm a new driver so I'm low on seniority and work preload when there's not a route for me. Yesterday after I worked preload they called me later in the day and asked to cover for the air driver that called in so I did. Today after work they called to tell me I violated the 10 hours off between shifts rule. What is the punishment for a dot violation?
Never saw a driver get more than a warning letter, but I've seen a couple sups who were responsible get fired.

542thruNthru

You can only work what you are assigned.

Whichever supe sent you out driving is the problem.

Still confused how you working in the building has anything to do with dot.

Goes back to when I said dot rules it apply at UPS when it's convenient.

@DumbTruckDriver @542thruNthru
I don't think op is a 22.4. I'm thinking PT cover or something.

Also the 10 hours is not a 24 hour thing if I remember correctly. We have 14 hours from when we start work to drive and then have to have 10 hours off after that to rest out 14 hours.

So the split in his shift may have put him over the 14 hours.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What is the punishment for a dot violation?
shame-cersei.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Up
I'm a new driver so I'm low on seniority and work preload when there's not a route for me. Yesterday after I worked preload they called me later in the day and asked to cover for the air driver that called in so I did. Today after work they called to tell me I violated the 10 hours off between shifts rule. What is the punishment for a dot violation?
up to $10,000 fine

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Here's whatI think is happening. One thing I think OP might be tripped up on. You only need be working 8 continuous hours from your start time if scheduled to work. No such thing as "we don't have any work for you, wait and bump the preload" they owe you minutes NOW and for the next 8 hours or otherwise must properly schedule a LAYOFF the day you are working preload.
Don't let them off the hook. 22.4 has superior 8-hour guarantee language. Use it. Dick around in the office in front of the center manager for 8 hours if need be.

Last edited:

Hot Carl

One of my favorite things management does is the constant pounding into our skulls that "It is your responsibility to know your hours situation." And I always keep track any time I know I'm running low. But I get a little chuckle every time they come up to me on a Friday/Saturday and say tell me I have x.xx hours left.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
That's what happens when you steal an air driver's work. They're going to have an awesome warning letter for you to sign, next time you report to work. Throw a big tantrum, and see that nothing at all happens to the supe.
That seems kind of harsh no? Especially since you have the facts wrong according to the OP. If I were you I'd offer an apology. JMO

Poop Head

Judge me.
I hope you learned your lesson. Dont be answering their phone calls.