10 hours off dot violation

Steamer

Preload to preload the day before I'm sure you had 10 hours off between cycles. What time did you clock out the day before? What time did you clock in that day? You worked over 14 hours in total between preload and then driving?

Johney

10 hours off is only violated if you worked more than 14 hours in a given day. You worked over 14 hours? Preload to preload the day before I'm sure you had 10 hours off.
Pretty sure you're allowed to work up to 16 hours(emergency blah blah) 1 day out of your 70 a week. But you still need 10 hours off before you can start again.

Steamer

Pretty sure you're allowed to work up to 16 hours(emergency blah blah) 1 day out of your 70 a week. But you still need 10 hours off before you can start again.
Ya I worded it kind of goofy. If you notice above I edited it. Wondering how he violated it. Preload is usually like 5 hours. 4am-9am at my center. Then he would have had to work over 14 hours in the day to violate it with driving after. Unless maybe he came in for night sort the night before. And didn't get 10 hours off.

Johney

Ya I worded it kind of goofy. If you notice above I edited it. Wondering how he violated it. Preload is usually like 5 hours. 4am-9am at my center. Then he would have had to work over 14 hours in the day to violate it with driving after. Unless maybe he came in for night sort the night before. And didn't get 10 hours off.
Well the op's post is a little deceiving. Did they say he violated from preload to driving the same day? Or did he violate from preload/driving till his next preload shift?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Well the op's post is a little deceiving. Did they say he violated from preload to driving the same day? Or did he violate from preload/driving till his next preload shift?
Probably drove until 8 preloaded at 4 and then drove aka less than 10 hours off. So the clock would have started the day before

Bud Dog

DOT rules technically only apply to CDL drivers. UPS volunteers to abide by them for package car drivers. There are a half a dozen guys in my center that work preload,deliver air and then work reload. They have 4 hours off between air driver and reload and seven hours off between reload and preload,been doing that for years. No one has said one word to them about having ten hours off between shifts.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
DOT rules technically only apply to CDL drivers. UPS volunteers to abide by them for package car drivers. There are a half a dozen guys in my center that work preload,deliver air and then work reload. They have 4 hours off between air driver and reload and seven hours off between reload and preload,been doing that for years. No one has said one word to them about having ten hours off between shifts.
Interesting theory. So the DOT physicals, is that voluntary as well?

542thruNthru

What type of vehicle does this air driver drive? That could be the reason why. Is it a sprinter or van?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
1AF03E59-A94E-41AD-BDAF-38F3F2F8E235.gif

Bud Dog

Really brilliant answer. Do package car drivers fill out a log book every day to keep track of driving hours? Do they have the required ELD in there package car? Do they have to stop at way stations. Do they have to take a 1/2 hour non driving period before 8 hours of drive time. Are package car drivers subject to random drug screens. No. like I said UPS voluntarily abides by some of theDOT rules not all of them.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Really brilliant answer. Do package car drivers fill out a log book every day to keep track of driving hours? Do they have the required ELD in there package car? Do they have to stop at way stations. Do they have to take a 1/2 hour non driving period before 8 hours of drive time. Are package car drivers subject to random drug screens. No. like I said UPS voluntarily abides by some of theDOT rules not all of them.
Wrong

542thruNthru

Really brilliant answer. Do package car drivers fill out a log book every day to keep track of driving hours?
non-CDL short-haul exception do not have to keep a log book. Though the company must keep accurate and true time records for 6 months showing: 1) the time the driver reports for duty each day; 2) the total number of hours the driver is on duty each day; 3) the time the driver is released from duty each day; and 4) the total time for the preceding 7 days in accordance with Section 395.8(j)(2) for drivers used for the first time or intermittently.
Do they have the required ELD in there package car?
Again short haul exemption.
Do they have to stop at way stations.
Have never passed one in a package car. I'd have to look up if we are required to.
Do they have to take a 1/2 hour non driving period before 8 hours of drive time.
And again... short haul exemption.
"The 30-minute break rule is mandatory unless you qualify for an exemption to it. For example, all short-haul drivers who operate within a 150 air mile radius of their starting location are exempt, as well as all non-CDL drivers who operate within a 150 air mile radius of their starting location."
Are package car drivers subject to random drug screens.
They are not CDL holders. They are Non-CDL driver's and not required by DOT to take random drug tests.
No. like I said UPS voluntarily abides by some of theDOT rules not all of them.
Does UPS make some driver (like air drivers) follow DOT regulations when they don't have to? Absolutely but we as package car driver are subject to DOT regulations and have to have a DOT card.