$100 a week for insurance and little or no raises!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I got tired of reading thru this thread, so If I repeat sometthing, my bad. Folks, this is what you get for re-electing Obama. With all the legislation hes trying to pass right as I type and all the tax increases he's proposing on corporations, it serves yall right. Plus, not to mention Obamacare and all its taxes and suprises. UPS, despite its profits, is preparing for the slew of money its gonna have to pay out to Uncle Sam. UPS is gonna do what will cost it the least to do. Theyre a big company thats in it to make money. Dont get me wrong, I dont like this crap either. Im just trying to look at it in a different light. SO many folks cried that the rich werent getting taxed enough. Well, get ready for your wish!! Cause' its gonna come back to bite ya in the ass! What ever you do to the rich trickles down to the middle class, then the poor.

Are people really this ignorant?

UPS is in business to generate profits. Not only are most UPSers among the very last employees to pay absolutely nothing for our health insurance, we have among the most generous, lowest out-of-pocket benefits available. Given the aging work force at UPS -- as I mentioned previously, most PTers progressing into FT driving and even management are now into their 30s, it's no surprise health care costs are of growing concern to the company. That's especially true given that its primary competition is paying $0, on average, for health insurance.

ObamaCare is not the driving reason behind this decision. Remember, the primary reason for soaring health care costs is the growing burden of un/underinsured people (like the 1M workers at Walmart) who are unable to pay but continue to access the system. If ObamaCare is successful, it will stabilize costs which HELPS, not HURTS, UPS.

It always amazes me when I see this idiots on TV decrying ObamaCare, then going to the hospital, pumping out another kid... then skipping the bill when it arrives.

The fact that most companies make their employees pay is a terrible argument. MOST companies don't make 5 billion a year. Also there are a decent number of companies that give their employees many more benefits than ups does. Apple google Microsoft to name a few.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Our jobs are not average when it comes to the wear and tear our bodies are exposed to day in and day out. I would bet that out of the drivers I drive with, better then half have gone under some sort of shoulder, knee, hip or other serious reconstruction do to this job. Most of the drivers that I see retire do so as their bodies are giving up and forcing them to retire. So I do not buy into the "spoiled" theory.

You can go ahead and convince yourself of this if you'd like, but millions of un/underinsured Americans work manual labor jobs that are just as brutal on the body. We just happen to have a strong union.

So if it Obama care is not likely save us money, is it not safe to say that Obama care is likely to cost us the same and if not more then the subsidies that have been in place? And where will that money come from? The tax payers. Tax payers who are already struggling to make ends meet. Just because others are not afforded the insurance that we have it doesn't make it right for us not to have the insurance that we work for.

Even without ObamaCare, companies will continue to divest health insurance plans or price it as such that employees will opt out of coverage. Because of this, I think it's unlikely ObamaCare - on paper - will save us money. But I believe it will stabilize soaring health care costs as well as encourage employers to maintain coverage, thus in reality saving us money long-term.

Nonetheless, we're the only major developed nation on Earth not to provide health care coverage to its citizens, and access to quality health care should be a fundamental right. ObamaCare grants that without creating a system of socialized health care. I suggest you tell those with cancer, those who acquired HIV as children, etc. "sucks to be you, but it's not my responsibility."

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
A little bit of health care history. The year is say, 1979. A person payed say $20 for an office visit and subsequent treatment maybe totally $100. Said person had insurance, but not for everyday doctor visits and meds. His insurance is for that car wreck he gets in and needs his leg removed and 30 days in the hospital to recover. Yeh, he might get a bill for $200-$500 that he can pay in installments, who knows. Point being, insurance was for catastrophic events, not when your kid has a cold or you have a cut that requires 5 stitches. Fast forward to 2013. Everyone and their mother goes to the doctor for every little damn ailment. Healthcare rates have gone thru the roof because of this

(Although I've already written this...)

Total B.S. People are visiting the doctor's LESS OFTEN today than they did. The reason health care costs has soared is because in 1979, most Americans had health insurance through their employer. Then came the Walmarts, McDonald's, etc. which set the standards for divesting these obligations. And when people get sick, they still seek access to the health care system... but if they don't have insurance, they don't pay for it, and the costs are spread out among those with it.

reydluap

King' My laptop is I'm the shop. I'm limited on posting from my phone
Dang small keyboard. What I was trying to post was on breitbart.com that was describing States cutting back on part time workers hours because of Obamacare.

kingOFchester

You can go ahead and convince yourself of this if you'd like, but millions of un/underinsured Americans work manual labor jobs that are just as brutal on the body. We just happen to have a strong union."

I am convinced. I am not saying there are no other jobs that are as physical, but we are certainly in the top 5%. In my book anyway.

As far as the HIV kids and cancer, If I told you that all Americans have to do is send in $100 does that mean it will work? Does that mean the money will be used for? I have little faith in Obama care.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
King' My laptop is I'm the shop. I'm limited on posting from my phone
Dang small keyboard. What I was trying to post was on breitbart.com that was describing States cutting back on part time workers hours because of Obamacare.

breitbart.com is a heavily right-wing bias source.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I am convinced. I am not saying there are no other jobs that are as physical, but we are certainly in the top 5%. In my book anyway.

As far as the HIV kids and cancer, If I told you that all Americans have to do is send in $100 does that mean it will work? Does that mean the money will be used for? I have little faith in Obama care.

Any FT UPSer who's misguided into thinking that his/her compensation package is a result of their work ethic, and not the union, is heavily misguided. Maybe Integrity can guide you :P.

Regardless... what are your thoughts on public education? Oodles of wealthy right-wingers have come onto the record as saying education isn't a fundamental right, and that we should pay for such. Society has long held fundamental rights, going back to before the middle ages. Public education should be one of them. Why shouldn't health care be another? We have right wing politicians, for example, that fight for things like Toledo, OH receiving $500M in federal funds to provide a subsidy for air service to New York City -- despite the fact that anywhere in Toledo is less than an hour's drive from Detroit or Cleveland's airport.

God forbid you get into an accident tomorrow, permanently lose your job at UPS and find yourself without health insurance... wonder how you'll feel about such then.

Papa John's hasn't does this yet, and the founder is an outspoken critic of the left / ally of the right. Many doubt his chain will implement this.

reydluap

King'. If ever you pass through SE Iowa, let me know. I'll buy your steak dinner and we'll discuss finer topics. You're all right in my book!

Any FT UPSer who's misguided into thinking that his/her compensation package is a result of their work ethic, and not the union, is heavily misguided. Maybe Integrity can guide you :P.

Regardless... what are your thoughts on public education? Oodles of wealthy right-wingers have come onto the record as saying education isn't a fundamental right, and that we should pay for such. Society has long held fundamental rights, going back to before the middle ages. Public education should be one of them. Why shouldn't health care be another? We have right wing politicians, for example, that fight for things like Toledo, OH receiving $500M in federal funds to provide a subsidy for air service to New York City -- despite the fact that anywhere in Toledo is less than an hour's drive from Detroit or Cleveland's airport.

God forbid you get into an accident tomorrow, permanently lose your job at UPS and find yourself without health insurance... wonder how you'll feel about such then.

Papa John's hasn't does this yet, and the founder is an outspoken critic of the left / ally of the right. Many doubt his chain will implement this.
Papa johns is to busy giving away free pizzas! Less free pizza more free healthcare?!

kingOFchester

How in God's name did you come to the conclusion that I feel as though our package is a result of work ethic and not the union??

Growing to tired so not going to sit here and pick apart your post. If you feel the need for me to do so, I can pick it up here tomorrow. I will say that our education system is friend'd. Look at how poor our math levels are in compared to other countries. I live outside of Philadelphia and can tell you the schools there are not much better then a prison.

As far as getting into an accident, I will be fine. I have, and will always make it through life. I am fortunate enough, scratch that, I have built a business that will support myself just fine. I live well well well below my means. I could quit UPS and still keep the exact same life style that I live now. Because I take care of myself. Because I have sacrificed Because I have worked, in the past 80-100 hours a week. Some of it may be luck, but I assure you it is also from hard work and determination not to be dependent on anything or anyone.

kingOFchester

"One must be careful not to disregard
anything and everything that comes from something they despise."
-Kingofchster 2/10/13

Anyway, Have a great night Bagels, enjoyed the debate.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
How in God's name did you come to the conclusion that I feel as though our package is a result of work ethic and not the union??

My point was that the benefits we enjoy exist for no other reason than the union. If UPS had its way (and with competitive pressie, it probably will one day), we'd be crying about the cost of the benefits. Or, more likely, the lack of benefits. In absence of a CBA, market forces dictate wages. Yet UPS is paying sky-high compensation despite the fact that there's a line of eager 20-somethings that could do our jobs better. Meanwhile, there's a shortage of accountants, engineers, etc. - despite the poor economy - and many in the professions have lesser compensation packages.

Growing to tired so not going to sit here and pick apart your post. If you feel the need for me to do so, I can pick it up here tomorrow. I will say that our education system is friend'd. Look at how poor our math levels are in compared to other countries. I live outside of Philadelphia and can tell you the schools there are not much better then a prison.

As far as getting into an accident, I will be fine. I have, and will always make it through life. I am fortunate enough, scratch that, I have built a business that will support myself just fine. I live well well well below my means. I could quit UPS and still keep the exact same life style that I live now. Because I take care of myself. Because I have sacrificed Because I have worked, in the past 80-100 hours a week. Some of it may be luck, but I assure you it is also from hard work and determination not to be dependent on anything or anyone.

I won't bother picking apart your post either, but I will say this: not only do you oppose health care as a fundamental right, you also get behind the wheel of a vehicle after working 100 hours in a week (!!). Scary, and says a lot.

kingOFchester

I won't bother picking apart your post either, but I will say this: not only do you oppose health care as a fundamental right, you also get behind the wheel of a vehicle after working 100 hours in a week (!!). Scary, and says a lot.

DUDE, you need some comprehension skills. This is not the first time you jumped to the wrong conclusion on something that was clearly written. I said and I quote "I have worked, in the past 80-100 hours a week". The business that I have is currently run by my other half, is something that I started long long before I worked at UPS. 18 years to be exact. I now only do the payroll and books for the business. The Queen runs the day to day operations. Have you not noticed how much and how often I post? Would be pretty hard to do if I was working 80-100 hours.

Did I ever say that I oppose health care as a fundamental right?? I oppose the Obama care. Want to misconstrue this post?

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Health care is a very pertinent issue to me, and I've done more research on ObamaCare than probably every person on these forums combined. Organizations can only guess as to the costs of ObamaCare; theoretically, it's possible - but not likely - that ObamaCare could cost taxpayers less than the subsidies we're already paying long-term. One thing to remember that is even if ObamaCare were to be repelled today, companies will continue to divest themselves of health care obligations, or set co-premiums such that employees choose to go without insurance. The Right will always blame ObamaCare for such, even though it's not true.

The bold text above.
Probe, you are wet behind the ears.
Don't make bold statements based on your assumptions. Many BC members can run circles around your statement.
And the election is over, leave the political jargon / attacks out of the discussion.

One reason our public school system sucks is because of the teachers union, plain and simple!! Tenure is bvll:censored2:. Youre telling me just because a teacher has been at a school for 7 years that he/she gets tenure and cant be fired, yet sucks at being a teacher?? Thats wrong! Go look at the charter schools in your area that dont have the union involved and see how those kids are doing. You know why? Because if a teacher sucks, theyre GONE!!! Performance equals tenure, not just because youve been there for X anount of years.

Dont get me wrong, not bashing all unions, just the teachers union. Theyre screwing our children out of whats theirs...a good education.