$100 a week for insurance and little or no raises!!

brown bomber

brown bomber
started in 1977........NO HARASSMENT, on the sort aisle.......started driving in 1982......NO HARASSMENT, while driving........26 yrs. later something happened.......I didn't change.....the pkgs. didn't get lighter or smaller....the delivery sites, didn't MAGICALLY get closer to the pkg. car ( OUTSIDE WALK)...but things have "happened" SO GLAD I'M RETIRED

brownIEman

Ask any actual ups driver. Follow the methods to a T and production goes way down.

Why does all management believe we are all out to do as little as possible?

Not all management believe you are all out to do as little as possible.
However, the micromanaging and push, push push that is our management style produces results, and always has, that is why we have always done it.

I have heard some management idiots try to claim to new hourlies that they owe no debt to the union for the great pay and benefits they get, that they would get just as much or more from UPS if UPS were not a union company. That is ignorant and naive to say the least.

I have also heard hourlies claim that if UPS management did not constantly push for production, they would actually get as much or more production from their employees. This is equally ignorant and naive.

brownIEman

started in 1977........NO HARASSMENT, on the sort aisle.......started driving in 1982......NO HARASSMENT, while driving........26 yrs. later something happened.......I didn't change.....the pkgs. didn't get lighter or smaller....the delivery sites, didn't MAGICALLY get closer to the pkg. car ( OUTSIDE WALK)...but things have "happened" SO GLAD I'M RETIRED

that may be. But you also did not deliver as many packages per hour worked in 1982 as the drivers of today do.

Enjoy your retirement, you deserve it!

brown_trousers

if you want to, you certainly can.

This time, Fred will take home a much bigger purse though. Watch.

That right there should be the motivating factor!!! Its a rather simple equation... continued free health care and reasonable raises.. vs... losing a HUGE market share to FedEx.

I doubt the loss of that market share could even be expressed in the millions, it will easily be billions of dollars of lost revenue.

A

anonymous6

deja vu 1997 but this time we don't have Carey. We have hoffa and UPS has already tested him and he lost ( Central States.)

the sad fact is this. many Teamsters did not learn a thing from the 97 strike. our parking lot proves this. new pickup trucks, boats, rvs, harleys...........houses mortgaged to the hilt.

70% divorce rate doesn't help either.

I feel bad for most of you. you're like sitting ducks.

now the multi-million dollar question. are you all men and women enough to go all the way?????????? the greatest military victories have been won by the underdog when they are cornered and have nothing to lose.

"FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!"

kingOFchester

BrownIEman,

Never really followed any of your posts. But, from your posts I have read here, you seem to be respectful and fair minded. You stated a lot of good points. I agree that the union can't get everything. If we were to get huge raises, keep our insurance plan that will cost the company more and more every year and cut down on production that could eventually cripil the company. I would think that most members here would agree with that.

What I am saying is considering the financial position of UPS is in right now and the direction their profits are going we should not be discussing concessions. I said in a previous post, may have been else where, that we should at the least stay the course and pretty much keep the current contract moving forward and get UPS to give a little more in regards to harassment language in the upcoming contract. They are in a better situation then they were in 5 years ago, so logic would have it that they give a little more this contract. Allow us to reap some rewards for driving the profits hire. Not give concessions.

A

anonymous6

I could argue that the Union was making an attempt at "Company Busting" in 97. UPS market Share was 80% back then. It is around 50% now. So, yeah, you absolutely won that bout.

Strange that Fred took home the real purse though...[/QUOTE]

i like your posts because they make me think. looking at this from purely a business standpoint I don't think the company is overly concerned about losing market share in the package division. the overhead in manpower costs are sky high. the roi is too low. that is why UPS stock has never been a heavy buy in my portfolio.

i know that the co. has been expanding it's logistical operations and real estate holdings that have a much higher ROI. this is the more logical course.

also, the co should think about setting up operations right inside it's biggest customers' operations like Amazon, etc. kinda like mini hubs right at the source using the customers' employees. i see that in the near future.

the package division is dying a slow and PLANNED death. do you see that? that's why we are nout called United ( parcel ) service anymore.

i'm just glad I can retire anytime (albeit early maybe ). and that was NO accident either.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dracula, the one problem I see with each of us telling 10, 20 or even 50 people is that with each re-telling the "facts" would get skewed and the story blown out of proportion.

It is way too early in the process for all of this hysteria.

island1fox

BrownIEman,

Never really followed any of your posts. But, from your posts I have read here, you seem to be respectful and fair minded. You stated a lot of good points. I agree that the union can't get everything. If we were to get huge raises, keep our insurance plan that will cost the company more and more every year and cut down on production that could eventually cripil the company. I would think that most members here would agree with that.

What I am saying is considering the financial position of UPS is in right now and the direction their profits are going we should not be discussing concessions. I said in a previous post, may have been else where, that we should at the least stay the course and pretty much keep the current contract moving forward and get UPS to give a little more in regards to harassment language in the upcoming contract. They are in a better situation then they were in 5 years ago, so logic would have it that they give a little more this contract. Allow us to reap some rewards for driving the profits hire. Not give concessions.

Kingof chester,

You also seem to be fair and very levelheaded. UPS, the Union you and all of us cannot just snapshot in time --how the Company is doing now.

All of us should agree that not just within the ups -teamster world --the Country has been changing.

Heath care --Major topic for ALL American's ---Major topic for contract.

Many feel the Government is pushing toward single payor ---long way away --and that system believe me has its own set of problems.

Be that as it may Obamacare --Or Affordable Heath care --whatever you choose to call it has EXPLODED HEALTH CARE COSTS.

All of the bells and whisles MANDATED by the Government are going to push many COMPANIES over the edge.

To simply say a REASONABLE raise --ALONG WITH kEEPING present Medical Benefits --does not mean this is an easy negotiation --the union will be satisfied --and the company gets off easy.

I believe hall is getting a REAL education of the present and coming cost of Healthcare --along with a Domestic and Worldwide economy that is certainly not showing skyrocketing growth ---so that Companies can increase revenue to keep up with the skyrocketing cost for not just Medical --but Energy .:peaceful:

kingOFchester

island1fox.

healthcare is the next bubble to kill the economy, if it hasn't already. First it was the .com's, then housing and now health. Something has to be done, but all answers out there as of now have bad consequences.

I am not a fan of Obama. His plan sucks. But I give credit for at the least presenting and pursuing some type of overhaul.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Kingof chester,

You also seem to be fair and very levelheaded. UPS, the Union you and all of us cannot just snapshot in time --how the Company is doing now.

All of us should agree that not just within the ups -teamster world --the Country has been changing.

Many feel the Government is pushing toward single payor ---long way away --and that system believe me has its own set of problems.

Be that as it may Obamacare --Or Affordable Heath care --whatever you choose to call it has EXPLODED HEALTH CARE COSTS.

All of the bells and whisles MANDATED by the Government are going to push many COMPANIES over the edge.

To simply say a REASONABLE raise --ALONG WITH kEEPING present Medical Benefits --does not mean this is an easy negotiation --the union will be satisfied --and the company gets off easy.

I believe hall is getting a REAL education of the present and coming cost of Healthcare --along with a Domestic and Worldwide economy that is certainly not showing skyrocketing growth ---so that Companies can increase revenue to keep up with the skyrocketing cost for not just Medical --but Energy .:peaceful:
Healthcare costs are clearly an issue, but the above bolded statement is simply not true. Costs have been raising at an scary rate for years now and would have continued to do so regardless. The biggest problem with ACA is that at least to date it hasn't stopped that rise or at least kept it more in line with inflation.

island1fox

island1fox.

healthcare is the next bubble to kill the economy, if it hasn't already. First it was the .com's, then housing and now health. Something has to be done, but all answers out there as of now have bad consequences.

I am not a fan of Obama. His plan sucks. But I give credit for at the least presenting and pursuing some type of overhaul.

Kingof chester,

Your postings are factual and sincere --nice to see straight talk --from the right or LEFT --rare in America today.

I agree something had to be done with Healthcare --but the thousands of pages written by staff that the Politicians did not read --so far the more we find out --it is a disaster. Wait until the middle class without Medical coverage begins to pay the Fine/tax next year --will tank the already anemic economy.

I believe we are facing a number of Bubbles. Over a Trillion dollars of Student loans --many on the verge of default --getting out of College with huge debt --No jobs --Watch OUT!

Also many countries --like China, Russia and Also OPEC are exploring the REPLACEMENT of the dollar as the worlds currency.

With QE2 and the printing of money , the out of control spending, the exploding debt---INFLATION will rear its ugly head and the dollar ---the buying power of the dollar --when a loaf of bread and a gallon of gas is over ten dollars ----riots in the streets ---this leads to the second amendment argument.

Sorry for the long post --I just finished my second cup of coffee with a touch of Baileys in it !! :wink2:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Kingof chester,

It's one thing to have strong opinions, it's another to believe in fallacies.

Health care costs have been soaring disproportional to the rate of inflation throughout our lifetime; the sole exception was when PPO were introduced during the Clinton Administration. ObamaCare is an attempt to stabilize health care costs - whether or not that will happen we don't know yet.

Undoubtedly, UPS's health care costs are soaring because its workforce is aging. People have begun retiring in large numbers & the FT hiring freeze over the past decade means that most of the people entering FT driving are at least in their 30s -- well-beyond the coveted, low-cost 20s group. Any attempt by UPS to collect premiums for its health insurance, as well as benefit dilution, is a derivative of the company seeking to stabilize & lower its costs, yielding bigger profits.

Wake up.

kingOFchester

Kingof chester,

I agree something had to be done with Healthcare --but the thousands of pages written by staff that the Politicians did not read --so far the more we find out --it is a disaster.
We have to pass the [health care] bill so that you can find out what’s in it:rofl:

brownIEman

i insulted you??? Your the guy that started talking about litigation. You have insulted me bud. Look we will strike end of story. Bring it on ie boy. Hall has done nothing wrong. He is asking for what we deserve. Nothing more nothing less. Stay out of his thread you will get nothing but hate here. We break our bodies for this company. You break your o-ring. Sorry about that but it is what it is.

How is making a sarcastic crack about litigation an insult to you? Seriously, I was not trying to insult anyone, I was trying to point out that from what I have read in these threads, Hall is going into negotiations with preconceived ideas about what he is and is not willing to even discuss. If the company did that, you would call it failing to negotiate in good faith.

And you are correct, I have gotten nothing but hate in this thread. Strangely though, I have gotten nothing but hate from only you. The rest of your brothers have been able to have reasonable discourse, even over very emotional subjects.

Might want to reflect on that.

I am not calling you names, I am not saying you are no one and have no value, as you have said of me, I am merely suggesting you might want to reflect on why you are the only one who feels the need to sling those insults at me.

brownIEman

i like your posts because they make me think. looking at this from purely a business standpoint I don't think the company is overly concerned about losing market share in the package division. the overhead in manpower costs are sky high. the roi is too low. that is why UPS stock has never been a heavy buy in my portfolio.

i know that the co. has been expanding it's logistical operations and real estate holdings that have a much higher ROI. this is the more logical course.

also, the co should think about setting up operations right inside it's biggest customers' operations like Amazon, etc. kinda like mini hubs right at the source using the customers' employees. i see that in the near future.

the package division is dying a slow and PLANNED death. do you see that? that's why we are nout called United ( parcel ) service anymore.

i'm just glad I can retire anytime (albeit early maybe ). and that was NO accident either.

I do. I have said for years it seems to me the top leadership of this company has accepted a cost/pricing model that allows us to be profitable, but not competitive. They seem fine with the UPS empire making a slow fade into the sunset, and so does the Union.

island1fox

Healthcare costs are clearly an issue, but the above bolded statement is simply not true. Costs have been raising at an scary rate for years now and would have continued to do so regardless. The biggest problem with ACA is that at least to date it hasn't stopped that rise or at least kept it more in line with inflation.

Jones ,

Re-check your facts.

Afforable Healthcare was sold to LOWER the cost of Healthcare.

While Healthcare costs were rising for years ---THE COST Increases NOW have reached the breaking point --Just look at all companies reactions --including ups negotiations.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Jones ,

Re-check your facts.

Afforable Healthcare was sold to LOWER the cost of Healthcare.

While Healthcare costs were rising for years ---THE COST Increases NOW have reached the breaking point --Just look at all companies reactions --including ups negotiations.
What you said was that the ACA had "exploded" healthcare costs, and that's simply not true.