100 OTR Feeder Drivers Fired

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Do what you want. We are authorized by UPS to place our personal items in our tractor before our scheduled start time. And, being on the employers premises as referenced above, we are covered under workers comp.

I'll go one step further.

I know drivers that take out their radio and such everyday, or drivers that are on the pick board and run different jobs everyday. Hook up radios and remove when they are done.

We are instructed by management that if it takes longer than 2 minutes or so to install, or remove, our radios, that it is to be done off the clock.

So you tell me, sounds to me like permission from UPS to be in our tractor off the clock, as a matter of fact, a directive to be in our tractor off the clock.

Speaking of weak unions...The contract says NOTHING about hooking up your radio off the clock. Do they "instruct" you to pre-trip your tractor in 4 minutes, too? Again, I don't touch anything until my start time, including my bag, pillow, lunchbox and radio.

Dracula

No sir. No fight what-so-ever. Keep reading and I'll get to why you are in your tractor "off the clock'"

3. Sidewalks and Parking Lots

In most cases, workers' compensation coverage begins when an employee starts his workday by stepping onto his employer's premises or an area controlled by his employer. It ends when a worker steps off his employer's premises or an area controlled by his employer.

The term "controlled by" refers to property an employer either owns outright, pays a mortgage on, pays property taxes on, pays a third party (like landscapers) to maintain, or is designated as a common area for which the employer contributes rent along with other tenants.

An area controlled by an employer is considered an extension of the worker's actual workplace. Examples of areas controlled by employers include sidewalks, grassy areas, parking lots, and any other property a worker traverses on his way to and from his actual workplace.

What is this from? First thing that stands out to me, are the first three words, "In most cases". UPS could pay a law firm millions of dollars to take advantage of those three words. Second, I find it hard to believe UPS would pay a work comp claim on something that happened in the parking lot. I've never heard of it in over 30 years working here. Also, if that were the case, it would seem logical that UPS would be liable if something happened to our cars on THEIR property, and I can tell you for a fact, that isn't the case. I've known plenty of cases where cars were stolen, and the company wasn't liable.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Our contract has sections about CB radios, and we are under no obligation to do that off the clock.

Our contract allows us to use CB radios. It does not say whether they will be installed on or off the clock.

Sounds like you are, hooking up your stuff.

Not me.

The contract says NOTHING about hooking up your radio off the clock.

It says nothing about hooking your radio up on the clock. It allows you the option of using one.

Do they "instruct" you to pre-trip your tractor in 4 minutes, too?

No idea how long I get. It takes as long as it takes.

I don't touch anything until my start time, including my bag, pillow, lunchbox and radio.

I don't have a problem with that. Nor do I with the employees that want to put their stuff in the tractor off the clock.

"In most cases"

We know there are exceptions to everything.

I've never heard of it in over 30 years working here.

I've never heard of them denying one either.

it would seem logical that UPS would be liable if something happened to our cars on THEIR property,

Nope. Personal vehicles in a UPS parking lot is different than being covered under workers comp on UPS property.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Where I'm at, they have been known to complain about how long it takes us to put in and take out our stuff, but all it takes is standing up for yourself. Our contract has sections about CB radios, and we are under no obligation to do that off the clock. It takes is long as it takes. They can, and have, watched me. Big deal.

And we are not talking about 3 to 5 minutes here. I said before that they told us if it takes longer than about 2 minutes to do it off the clock.

They can moan and complain if that 2 minutes turn into 4 or 5, but the issue is the guys that bring everything except the kitchen sink.

It takes these guys almost 15 minutes to put it in, and then 15 minutes to take it out.

I'm sure you can agree that paying someone half hour a day to put in and remove radios is a bit excessive and there is no backing in the contract for this.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
And lastly, this thread was about working during lunch. It logically progressed into working before your start time. We can debate whether or not you get paid to install your radio in a different thread.

Bottom line, UPS authorizes employees to be in their tractors before their scheduled start time to install their radios.

So a driver that falls out of his tractor while pre-tripping his vehicle, I mean installing his radio, before his scheduled start time is covered under workers comp.

You are covered once you step foot on UPS property and you are authorized to be in your tractor by your employer.

Johney

You are covered once you step foot on UPS property and you are authorized to be in your tractor by your employer.
I can't and won't argue the part of being allowed in your tractor before start time and being covered by WC I have not seen any cases arising around that circumstance, however I will tell you that just being on their property and off the clock and filing an injury report DOES NOT guarantee you coverage. I know this for a fact! I won't get into details.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I will tell you that just being on their property and off the clock and filing an injury report DOES NOT guarantee you coverage. I know this for a fact! I won't get into details.

Come on Johney, don't be like the celebrities and news media and twist everything backwards.

Of course you are not automatically covered for an injury.

Even if you are on the clock, you are not automatically covered.

Horseplay is not covered.

Self inflicted injuries are not covered

Co-worker shooting up the place is not covered.

Falling out of your tractor is covered, on or off the clock.

Falling down the stairs is covered on or off the clock.

Tripping on a hazard is covered on or off the clock.

While I hate to admit it, I fell down some metal stairs once I entered the building before clocking in. Sprained my ankle pretty bad.

Comp checks were on time every other week.

I will put it this way for you. Once you step foot on the employers property, you are coveres under workers comp. If you are injured, even off the clock, most of the time the injury will be covered if it is a legitimate workers comp injury.

Johney

Come on Johney, don't be like the celebrities and news media and twist everything backwards.

Of course you are not automatically covered for an injury.

Even if you are on the clock, you are not automatically covered.

Horseplay is not covered.

Self inflicted injuries are not covered

Co-worker shooting up the place is not covered.

Falling out of your tractor is covered, on or off the clock.

Falling down the stairs is covered on or off the clock.

Tripping on a hazard is covered on or off the clock.

While I hate to admit it, I fell down some metal stairs once I entered the building before clocking in. Sprained my ankle pretty bad.

Comp checks were on time every other week.

I will put it this way for you. Once you step foot on the employers property, you are coveres under workers comp. If you are injured, even off the clock, most of the time the injury will be covered if it is a legitimate workers comp injury.
I'm glad it worked out for you. I can only take your word for it as I don't know you personally. So in other words I can only go by experience and what I've seen happen wasn't like that. Done on this topic have a safe night.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Some of our sleeper drivers I encountered at the hub, while they were fueling, acted like the world revolved around them and everything should stop when they pull on property.
:censored2:r, that seems to be every driver at ups... Especially young package car drivers and most feeder guys..

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm glad it worked out for you. I can only take your word for it as I don't know you personally. So in other words I can only go by experience and what I've seen happen wasn't like that. Done on this topic have a safe night.

Now you have me curious. I know you said you were done, but without too many details, what was denied because the employee was off the clock as the sole reason.

I don't believe it.

Johney

Now you have me curious. I know you said you were done, but without too many details, what was denied because the employee was off the clock as the sole reason.

I don't believe it.
Don't believe it I really don't care. Have a nice night.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
No sir. No fight what-so-ever. Keep reading and I'll get to why you are in your tractor "off the clock'"

3. Sidewalks and Parking Lots

In most cases, workers' compensation coverage begins when an employee starts his workday by stepping onto his employer's premises or an area controlled by his employer. It ends when a worker steps off his employer's premises or an area controlled by his employer.

The term "controlled by" refers to property an employer either owns outright, pays a mortgage on, pays property taxes on, pays a third party (like landscapers) to maintain, or is designated as a common area for which the employer contributes rent along with other tenants.

An area controlled by an employer is considered an extension of the worker's actual workplace. Examples of areas controlled by employers include sidewalks, grassy areas, parking lots, and any other property a worker traverses on his way to and from his actual workplace.

What you're told by someone that you did not reference is different than the truth and what is fact.

I agree. That is what workers comp is for. And don't try and tell me that they didn't collect.

Do what you want. We are authorized by UPS to place our personal items in our tractor before our scheduled start time. And, being on the employers premises as referenced above, we are covered under workers comp.

I'll go one step further.

I know drivers that take out their radio and such everyday, or drivers that are on the pick board and run different jobs everyday. Hook up radios and remove when they are done.

We are instructed by management that if it takes longer than 2 minutes or so to install, or remove, our radios, that it is to be done off the clock.

So you tell me, sounds to me like permission from UPS to be in our tractor off the clock, as a matter of fact, a directive to be in our tractor off the clock.

And again, as referenced above, you are covered under workers comp.

You guys must have the weakest local that ever existed. This is a no brainer.

Your management is wrong. We won this battle years ago at our hub. NO WORK is to be done off the clock. That is including putting in radios, chain equipment, snow equipment , blankets, anything the driver thinks he/she needs t o do their jobs is loaded or unloaded on COMPANY time.

Even if it takes 10-15 minutes on both ends. You should know by now that if you give this company an inch they will take a mile. UPS is always trying to intimidate and bully employees.

I never took the word of a manager. Always questioned authority.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Your management is wrong. We won this battle years ago at our hub. NO WORK is to be done off the clock. That is including putting in radios, chain equipment, snow equipment , blankets, anything the driver thinks he/she needs t o do their jobs is loaded or unloaded on COMPANY time.

Even if it takes 10-15 minutes on both ends. You should know by now that if you give this company an inch they will take a mile. UPS is always trying to intimidate and bully employees.

I never took the word of a manager. Always questioned authority.

Yes, you get paid to install your radio. But, if you take half an hour everyday to do this, you will not be employed for very long. That's right. You aren't employed by UPS.

But the whole point was not whether you get paid or not to install your radio, the point was that management authorized you to be in your tractor off the clock to install your radio. And once you are on UPS property, you are covered under workers comp for any covered injury.

Fall out of your tractor off the clock, you are covered under workers comp.

Dracula

Yes, you get paid to install your radio. But, if you take half an hour everyday to do this, you will not be employed for very long. That's right. You aren't employed by UPS.

But the whole point was not whether you get paid or not to install your radio, the point was that management authorized you to be in your tractor off the clock to install your radio. And once you are on UPS property, you are covered under workers comp for any covered injury.

Fall out of your tractor off the clock, you are covered under workers comp.

It doesn't take me 15 minutes to put my stuff in the tractor. Maybe 5 minutes. But I've had supervisors stand next to me and attempt to rush me. It takes me 15 minutes to pre-trip my tractor. And I won't be rushed. And I'm still employed by UPS. This whole rush, rush, rush to make some ridiculous leave time. It's a recipe for disaster. And it might be a little off topic, but it still drives me nuts that they love to hang their hat on safety, yet are so quick to wave it away to line up numbers. And most of the time, this is what causes drivers to take shortcuts, and yes, work off the clock.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
It doesn't take me 15 minutes to put my stuff in the tractor. Maybe 5 minutes. But I've had supervisors stand next to me and attempt to rush me. It takes me 15 minutes to pre-trip my tractor. And I won't be rushed. And I'm still employed by UPS. This whole rush, rush, rush to make some ridiculous leave time. It's a recipe for disaster. And it might be a little off topic, but it still drives me nuts that they love to hang their hat on safety, yet are so quick to wave it away to line up numbers. And most of the time, this is what causes drivers to take shortcuts, and yes, work off the clock.

15 minutes for just the tractor?

clean hairy

There was Hub employee during the 10 min break that walked across a belt that was turned off. He fell and got hurt. Took months to get it as Workers Comp, as the company claimed break was personal time, and the employee was not on the clock.