100 pound boxes coming down the shoot

newfie

People who dont lift..

"Im gonna leave here in a wheelchair cuz of these overweight pkgs they expect me to deliver everyday! Wahhhhh!"

People who lift..

"150 lbs. lol."
who knew i could file a grievance on home depot for those 80 lb concrete bags i was carrying around :)

newfie

It has been going on for about 3 months now and it gets worse each day I get about 5 to 7 over 70's at least.Thats not just on my shift either I double it's on both sorts I work.I've got at my unit manager several times about it nothing is done.It is only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt because of it.I am sure the unload manager has alot to do with it as well as the unloaders.If a union member is disciplined so we could all make it home safe at the end of the day so be it. There is no other way to make it stop,our health and safety is the bottom priority at my hub.
you're loading? you dont have to lift them. you can leverage them off the rollers onto the floor using the rollers as a fulcrum. If you put as much effort into trying to find ways to annoy the boss as you do into trying to use the intelligence god gave you constructively then you could find a way to lower heavy packages without actually lifting them. But no you watched a norma rae movie and now you think its your job to be a pain in the bosses behind.

newfie

Meaning that they come directly from unload to load there is no sort slide.
right someones unloading those packages . a union brother unloader or in my experience drivers that unload parts of their package cars. Management is not getting fired some unloader is getting his job threatened by that supervisor first. a wise man once said generals rarely die in the wars its always the privates.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
right someones unloading those packages . a union brother unloader or in my experience drivers that unload parts of their package cars. Management is not getting fired some unloader is getting his job threatened by that supervisor first. a wise man once said generals rarely die in the wars its always the privates.
Sure I can throw them on the ground but that's not the point,it needs to stop.Unload manager is turning a blind eye to get his unloaders off the payroll.
Hes in a new automated building. Surley they have the nice new extendos that you can just run the pkgs right off the end!
Some doors have extendos, some have rollers. For being a new building our rollers are all busted up which makes it dangerous.The doors that have rollers on some of themthe metal part where you connect the rollers falls down when packages hit it after you put the rollers away at the end I've been hit before thankfully not by an over 70.

newfie

Sure I can throw them on the ground but that's not the point,it needs to stop.Unload manager is turning a blind eye to get his unloaders off the payroll.
no you dont have to throw them on the floor . thank god the unload manager has you there to teach him how to do his job.
it appears you now agree that the unload manager needs to in turn hold his people accountable for doing their job?

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
no you dont have to throw them on the floor . thank god the unload manager has you there to teach him how to do his job.
it appears you now agree that the unload manager needs to in turn hold his people accountable for doing their job?
If you mean following the contract you are correct.Are those unloaders going to pay my bills when I get hurt due to their recklessness?Like I said before this has been going on for months.But according to you it's ok because a union brother directed by their unit manager to throw anything regarldless of article 44 section3 on the belt it makes it ok.

newfie

If you mean following the contract you are correct.Are those unloaders going to pay my bills when I get hurt due to their recklessness?Like I said before this has been going on for months.But according to you it's ok because a union brother directed by their unit manager to throw anything regarldless of article 44 section3 on the belt it makes it ok.
thats fine I'm pointing out the solution is some other union brother gets busted for not doing his job. i'm pretty confident the manager is not directing the unloader to put it on the belt but not auditing for and correcting the actions of your union brothers. I have seen many like you who get their first wiff of the contract and think they will now use it to boss the boss. Their intent is always to put the heat on the boss but in turn they usually end up putting it on some other union coworker who was not doing his job. In this case you would love to seperate the issue and put it on managements shoulders only but the guy putting those packages on the belt is not management and that is where the heat will go. i find it interesting that you dont know about a safety committee in your building but you know all about how to file a grievance. as i've said before there are constructive solutions and finding and participating in a safety committee and learning how to lift and lower using the equipment are also solutions to your concern. you're dramatically indifferent when i suggest solutions that could also help.

542thruNthru

thats fine I'm pointing out the solution is some other union brother gets busted for not doing his job. i'm pretty confident the manager is not directing the unloader to put it on the belt but not auditing for and correcting the actions of your union brothers. I have seen many like you who get their first wiff of the contract and think they will now use it to boss the boss. Their intent is always to put the heat on the boss but in turn they usually end up putting it on some other union coworker who was not doing his job. In this case you would love to seperate the issue and put it on managements shoulders only but the guy putting those packages on the belt is not management and that is where the heat will go. i find it interesting that you dont know about a safety committee in your building but you know all about how to file a grievance. as i've said before there are constructive solutions and finding and participating in a safety committee and learning how to lift and lower using the equipment are also solutions to your concern. you're dramatically indifferent when i suggest solutions that could also help.
You would be wrong here management always tries to speed things up by directing unloaders to just send them down the belt. It helps them get done faster especially since we are always slammed with irregs and the trains can't keep up.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
You would be wrong here management always tries to speed things up by directing unloaders to just send them down the belt. It helps them get done faster especially since we are always slammed with irregs and the trains can't keep up.

Sounds like an integrity issue... our shippers pay extra surcharges on irregularities and over fifties with the assumption that they will not be put on a belt and subject to damage.

PT Car Washer

Sounds like an integrity issue... our shippers pay extra surcharges on irregularities and over fifties with the assumption that they will not be put on a belt and subject to damage.
It is usually a lot of other packages that are damaged when over weights and irregs are sent down the belts.

newfie

shippers dont believe that and have no idea how we process packages internally. Shippers who ship the lighter packages will be the ones that suffer when their packages are crushed