100 pound boxes coming down the shoot

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
thats fine I'm pointing out the solution is some other union brother gets busted for not doing his job. i'm pretty confident the manager is not directing the unloader to put it on the belt but not auditing for and correcting the actions of your union brothers. I have seen many like you who get their first wiff of the contract and think they will now use it to boss the boss. Their intent is always to put the heat on the boss but in turn they usually end up putting it on some other union coworker who was not doing his job. In this case you would love to seperate the issue and put it on managements shoulders only but the guy putting those packages on the belt is not management and that is where the heat will go. i find it interesting that you dont know about a safety committee in your building but you know all about how to file a grievance. as i've said before there are constructive solutions and finding and participating in a safety committee and learning how to lift and lower using the equipment are also solutions to your concern. you're dramatically indifferent when i suggest solutions that could also help.
There is no other solution.This is an on going problem,it is happening to all my co-workers, if it continues is going to result in a union brother or sister in the hospital or even worse.When I see my BA I'll ask about a safe committee,I am willing to join and talk to the loaders and unloaders since safety is the lowest priority at my hub.This isn't my first rodeo either I was a stevedore on the waterfront for 9 years,this is on the unit manager rushing trying to get his unloaders off the pay roll.The most likely result is the unit manager giving all his unloaders a safety speech regarding the issue(Which should be done everyday by the way) If the unloaders continue to do it after that that's their own reckless decision,I wouldn't lose any sleep at night if they were disciplined or even lost their job,on the waterfront we call people like that dunnage btw.(I doubt ups could fire all the unloaders or any in our building because nobody would replace them at 15.33 an hour 3.5 hours) I work for this criminal company that was to ripping me off shaving my timecard I had to learn how to file a grievance to defend myself,and not be like the rest of the sheep in my building who are too scared.In all honesty the way things are a safety committee that appears out of thin air isn't going to change anything it's a nice idea though,and I'll get involved in any way I can(Thanks for the tip)

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
No, he messed up his back pretty bad and was out for like 6 months I believe. Our division manager was moved shortly after.

He still works here but was made a OMS as soon as he came back.

Division Manager to a OMS.. surprise that he didn’t commit Hari Kari...🥷

542thruNthru

Division Manager to a OMS.. surprise that he didn’t commit Hari Kari...🥷
Sorry, I meant the PT sup came back and became a OMS. Last I heard of our DM is she went out east and became president of east coast operations. Don't know if she still working for UPS now.

Last edited:

newfie

You'd think a smart hub would have access to package weights when it scans and sorts but alas. Couldn't even do that right. 😉
that was my thought , you would think they could automate weighing and sorting those to an irreg belt.

newfie

There is no other solution.This is an on going problem,it is happening to all my co-workers, if it continues is going to result in a union brother or sister in the hospital or even worse.When I see my BA I'll ask about a safe committee,I am willing to join and talk to the loaders and unloaders since safety is the lowest priority at my hub.This isn't my first rodeo either I was a stevedore on the waterfront for 9 years,this is on the unit manager rushing trying to get his unloaders off the pay roll.The most likely result is the unit manager giving all his unloaders a safety speech regarding the issue(Which should be done everyday by the way) If the unloaders continue to do it after that that's their own reckless decision,I wouldn't lose any sleep at night if they were disciplined or ev a grievance to defend myself,and not be like the rest of the sheep in my building who are too scared.In all honesty the way things are a safety committee that appears out of thin air isn't going to change anything it's a nice idea though,and I'll get involved in any way I can(Thanks for the tip)
sounds great . you have a :censored2:ty job and to amuse yourself you file over 70 grievances. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary aggravation but have at it.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
sounds great . you have a *ty job and to amuse yourself you file over 70 grievances. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary aggravation but have at it.
Yes,pure amusement thank you for you assessment you opinion is highly valued.You sound like a company sheep numbers over safety right?

polyp

Sorry to burst your excitement but automation isn't that good
I've seen the hub reports. To be honest I'm kinda impressed the implementation is that bad. If I'd ever picked off with that missort frequency for my belt...

Last edited:

newfie

Why do you think he should not?

It is a valid contract issue.
It is . I think I'd have more respect for him if he was actually trying to do something more to fix the problem than file a grievance.
hell he doesn't even know they have a safety committee thats a contract issue too right?
So he'll file his grievances , not do anything to make anything better and wonder why things are not improving.

Last edited:

meritocracy

This is becoming an everyday thing.I was reading article 18 but couldn't find where it talks about over weight packages on the shoot.This is all I could find
Section 22. Incompatible Package Handling
The Employer agrees that all irregular or incompatible packages
such as bars, buckets, exposed metal parts, tire rims, etc., shall be
given special handling in accordance with UPS handling methods
and local conditions.
Bring it up with your supervisor and give them a chance to work on it IMO. If no change then file on it. We're under pressure to work as quickly as possible, not as safely as possible. Management has to ease up and encourage people to process irregs correctly.