114° Friday, how hot was your delivery area?

BrownSkid

LeBrown Shames
Got messages of drivers going to hospital for dehydration and not eating. Mgmt sending messages, if you run out water to break route and replenish. Like really?! I guess some of us need to be instructed....

A customer asked me the ol' classic question, "Do you have AC in your truck"?

Followed up by my answer, "Nah, UPS doesn't care about us"!

For those thinking of voting yes, just remember days such these. Rain, snow or hell on earth. You'll be out there in these conditions while they sit behind a desk.
1st ever post. Vote No, since some need to be instructed on things.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
why cant they put a fan in the back? something that forces air into the back? they really don't care about you at all.

M

MenInBrown

We haven’t seen 114 yet, but consistent heat index of 100-105 for weeks now. Humidity kicking our ice in the south. Vote NO

badpal

Got messages of drivers going to hospital for dehydration and not eating. Mgmt sending messages, if you run out water to break route and replenish. Like really?! I guess some of us need to be instructed....

A customer asked me the ol' classic question, "Do you have AC in your truck"?

Followed up by my answer, "Nah, UPS doesn't care about us"!

For those thinking of voting yes, just remember days such these. Rain, snow or hell on earth. You'll be out there in these conditions while they sit behind a desk.
1st ever post. Vote No, since some need to be instructed on things.
Would be the same conditions on the picket line son, cept you aint getting paid for it.

Dumbo

I honestly don't know how you can not prepare for the heat. I freeze a gallon of water overnight, buy cases of Gatorade and freeze 1 or 2 of them a night, and put the water and gatorade in my lunch box with about 4 ice packs. All of the frozen liquid acts as large ice blocks and it stays ice cold all day, even in the 110 degree heat index we had last week. Also I buy propel packets to add to my water bottle. I make it a mission to drink non stop all day. It's not difficult.

Air conditioning doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyway. Every stop you open the door and it's gone. People have worked in the heat since the beginning of time. It's up to you to prepare for it or not work in a job you cannot handle it. Personal responsibility for your life and career will make you a winner!

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Air conditioning doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyway. Every stop you open the door and it's gone. People have worked in the heat since the beginning of time. It's up to you to prepare for it or not work in a job you cannot handle it. Personal responsibility for your life and career will make you a winner!
Have you ever driven a convertible in 90 degree heat with the ac on? It makes a big difference.
It would make a huge difference if they piped that ac into the back. Imagine reasonable temps in the back

Dumbo

Just because you have worked in inhumane conditions in the past does not make it right

Working in the heat is inhumane? Haha. UPS drivers aren't the only profession that works outside. Are you saying that all construction workers are treated inhumanely? Or firefighters? You should go travel to some other countries and have a look at what real inhumane conditions are. Inhumane in my mind also indicates an inability to leave the job, which we can do whenever we choose to.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
Just because you have worked in inhumane conditions in the past does not make it right

So anyone who’s worked outside in the summer for the last few thousands of years has been workin in inhumane conditions now? You do know that air conditioning was invented in 1902?

F

Frankie's Friend

Would be the same conditions on the picket line son, cept you aint getting paid for it.
And in Florida on the beach, or walking out to get your mail, or mowing the grass, or taking out the trash, or letting the dog out on the leash, or walking to your vehicle after work, or cooking burgers on the grill, or painting your tables, or hand washing your rims, or...

Seriously dude. The back of the PC is phenomenally hotter than the cab and we can't just stop and sit in the AC at a customer's location for 15 min every 10 stops like we could off the clock.

Why does management feel that they have to message us to break off and get water? Why do drivers end up in the hospital because of heat exhaustion issues? Why did we have a driver suddenly faint and hit his head on the way down?

The issue is the cutting of routes in high heat indexes ... not a work stoppage.

Hroller

0703181832b_Burst02.jpg