12 hour violation?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Kingston is NOT Upstate. :)
Anything above the city is Upstate LOL. That's how most people describe it. But when talking to the lady at the diner I eat in Kingston she mentioned somewhere else and told me it was upstate and when she said upstate she meant almost Canada :laugh: THAT is definitely upstate.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Did you stop and flatten Dave's tires?

You must miss where I'm one of the guys that likes Dave here. I may not agree with everything the guy says but that doesn't make me dislike him in the least. Plus I would never damage another person property. There's more creative ways to mess with someone without being destructive.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You must miss where I'm one of the guys that likes Dave here. I may not agree with everything the guy says but that doesn't make me dislike him in the least. Plus I would never damage another person property. There's more creative ways to mess with someone without being destructive.

Social media?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A few years ago we played a joke on a driver. He had stopped by his car to let it warm up before punching out. We slid the temp thingy to cold.

He was not amused.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Anything above the city is Upstate LOL. That's how most people describe it. But when talking to the lady at the diner I eat in Kingston she mentioned somewhere else and told me it was upstate and when she said upstate she meant almost Canada :laugh: THAT is definitely upstate.

My wife's family is from Saugerties
Driven through Kingston many times while cutting through the backwoods of CT and NY

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Any other buildings have a new 12hr on road violation and if so any idea why?

Many places have this rule and the reason is simple.

Management is lazy.

Keep all drivers under 12 hours and they don't have to worry about Hours Of Service, which UPS is liable for as is the driver.

Work 5 days not going over 12 hours a day will keep you under 60 hours for the week, the DOT HOS limit.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Many places have this rule and the reason is simple.

Management is lazy.

Keep all drivers under 12 hours and they don't have to worry about Hours Of Service, which UPS is liable for as is the driver.

Work 5 days not going over 12 hours a day will keep you under 60 hours for the week, the DOT HOS limit.
I recently hit 60 hours on a Friday and they tried to tell me that my breaks didn't count towards my 60 hours so I still had a few hours left...not my lunch...but my 15s and 10s

Coldworld

60 months and counting
And yet you don't calculate how much time people spend on the computer or watching TV. I can honestly say I spend maybe 1-2 hours a week on DVR shows, skipping commercials, maybe 10 hours a week on the internet.

Some of us supplement mindless drivel for other mindless drivel that pays almost $50/hr.
How much time do Americans spend on their phones per week... either texting or surfing the web or Facebook... the number must be staggering..

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I told my supervisor to please send a message to my board saying that my breaks didn't count towards 60....2 minutes later he calls me saying to come in. It's a paid break how would it not count

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
How are you off duty on your break. It's a 10 min paid break. I understand lunch because you are off the clock.

It does not matter to the DOT whether it is paid or not. They have 2 rules regarding off duty time when it comes to HOS.

• The driver must be relieved of all duty and responsibility for the care and custody of the vehicle, its accessories, and any cargo or passengers it may be carrying.
  • During the stop, and for the duration of the stop, the driver must be at liberty to pursue activities of his/her own choosing and to leave the premises where the vehicle is situated.
During a break, you may leave your vehicle and its cargo and you are welcome to pursue activities of your choosing.

You can shop, swim, golf, jog, cut your grass, etc. I know, it is only 10 minutes for some, but you are off duty for DOT HOS purposes.

Paid breaks as well as meal breaks are considered off duty in terms of the 60/70 hour rule

Correct

At my center they must not know about the break then.

Don't tell them, unless you are a 12 hour guy and want all the time you can get. In the Central, you can get another 1.66 over and above your 60.

No they aren't.

Yes they are, for DOT HOS purposes.

It's a paid break how would it not count

See above.