16 yr old BMW driver slams into a parked UPS truck

Anthropomorphic Cow

In one of the clearer versions I saw of this it looks like when the BMW driver went around the tractor trailer on the right he lost control and slid at an angle into the UPS truck. Still wouldn’t park there.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think all a jury needs to see is the video and that should be enough to say UPS was not at fault. But it is NY so who knows. They don’t do too well with personal responsibility up there. Also UPS driver was looking a little light complected so I’m sure they’ll use his skin color against him as well.
UPS is automatically a percentage at fault for parking in a traffic lane. I'm sure sometime down the road a jury will determine what percent that should be. I would think 50% would be a good starting point (especially on that road).

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
He’s a turd. Watch him plead not guilty for killing that girl. Wasn’t his fault.
He’s in NY, a juvenile, and drove a BMW, the chances of anything being done to him in our current societal state is pretty slim. The package car driver however will be demonized by both management and the BMW smoothbrains parent’s along with the lawyers looking for a quick paycheck.

YourMissingCallTag

Any lawyer worth their degree will find out that UPS judges its drivers by if the accident was avoidable or not. They don’t care about who’s at “fault”. We are also told to make ourselves “impossible to be hit”. Any lawyer will look at that video and say “the ups driver did not make himself impossible to be hit”. This is just such a 💩 situation for our driver!

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Any lawyer worth their degree will find out that UPS judges its drivers by if the accident was avoidable or not. They don’t care about who’s at “fault”. We are also told to make ourselves “impossible to be hit”. Any lawyer will look at that video and say “the ups driver did not make himself impossible to be hit”. This is just such a 💩 situation for our driver!
Yep, poor guy got a literal headache from it since he actually got hit by the package car on the head from the impact.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
In one of the clearer versions I saw of this it looks like when the BMW driver went around the tractor trailer on the right he lost control and slid at an angle into the UPS truck. Still wouldn’t park there.
So you’re saying that even though the centripetal acceleration of the car was proportional to the square of its velocity when he went around that truck, the tire tread’s inability to overcome that tangential push played a major role in losing control?
I see what you’re saying.

oldngray

nowhere special
So you’re saying that even though the centripetal acceleration of the car was proportional to the square of its velocity when he went around that truck, the tire tread’s inability to overcome that tangential push played a major role in losing control?
Air Speed Velocity of an Unladen Sparrow?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Exactly

Zowert

I was hit in rear by a driver going 35 while stepping thru bulkhead door. I ended up under shelf on top of wheel well and hand cart laying on top of me. It was a 5 speed and impact moved it about 15 feet even though it was in lowest gear and hand brake on. Can still hear the sound of impact.
Can’t imagine how hard that hit was.
A 4,000lbs vehicle traveling at 35mph has 163,800 ft-lbs of kinetic energy. When that vehicle slammed into your truck you felt it. I’m not sure how fast the driver of the BMW was going, but I’m going to guess around 50mph. That is a lot of energy being transferred into the UPS truck, good god.

Anyway, yeah. I can’t imagine how hard that was either.

Zowert

UPS is automatically a percentage at fault for parking in a traffic lane. I'm sure sometime down the road a jury will determine what percent that should be. I would think 50% would be a good starting point (especially on that road).
I may be wrong but I heard if you’re in a commercial vehicle with a DOT number on it you can lawfully block a lane of traffic for up to 10 minutes (depending on the state). I believe there was a video of some crazy lady calling the cops on a FedEx driver for parking in the right lane on a 2-way 4 lane road. It was ridiculous because she could have easily went around him and went on with her day but didn’t. She followed him to his next couple stops then the cops showed up and told her to leave him alone, that he wasn’t breaking any laws.

There are a couple wild videos of UPS trucks straight up blocking traffic in NYC to make deliveries. I have no choice but to block residential streets quite often but this is way out in the suburbs with little traffic and I still get people losing their minds about it.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I may be wrong but I heard if you’re in a commercial vehicle with a DOT number on it you can lawfully block a lane of traffic for up to 10 minutes (depending on the state). I believe there was a video of some crazy lady calling the cops on a FedEx driver for parking in the right lane on a 2-way 4 lane road. It was ridiculous because she could have easily went around him and went on with her day but didn’t. She followed him to his next couple stops then the cops showed up and told her to leave him alone, that he wasn’t breaking any laws.

There are a couple wild videos of UPS trucks straight up blocking traffic in NYC to make deliveries. I have no choice but to block residential streets quite often but this is way out in the suburbs with little traffic and I still get people losing their minds about it.
I think you may be right, even NY makes parking exemptions for commercial vehicles making “expeditious deliveries”.

Manifesto

I live in a much smaller town but we have a few roads that are two driving lanes each way with no shoulder to pull off on. I've been given sections I don't normally have recently (excessive route cutting. Big shock there) that include roads like that. Been walking off every stop by parking on side streets, especially after seeing that video.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly

I had a guy in a blue bmw one time get mad because I blocked a single lane 2 way road to make a quick delivery and he got mad because of it. He proceeded to honk his horn as I walked across the street in front of his car in my ear.

It took every ounce of my being, a prayer answer from god, a get out of hell free card from satan, and the thought of not wanting to lose my job to not rip this man out of his car and paint his car red.

I do not delivery anything to his house because of it even to this day. That was 4 years ago. I access point everything he gets and will call the others and I send them far away.

vvv

I live in a much smaller town but we have a few roads that are two driving lanes each way with no shoulder to pull off on. I've been given sections I don't normally have recently (excessive route cutting. Big shock there) that include roads like that. Been walking off every stop by parking on side streets, especially after seeing that video.
That's the way to do it my man. You are the boss and in control of decision making out there.

Zowert

I had a guy in a blue bmw one time get mad because I blocked a single lane 2 way road to make a quick delivery and he got mad because of it. He proceeded to honk his horn as I walked across the street in front of his car in my ear.

It took every ounce of my being, a prayer answer from god, a get out of hell free card from satan, and the thought of not wanting to lose my job to not rip this man out of his car and paint his car red.

I do not delivery anything to his house because of it even to this day. That was 4 years ago. I access point everything he gets and will call the others and I send them far away.
Good, screw that guy. I semi-blacklisted a customer on my route for doing something similar. I blocked a single lane two way residential street to deliver a 140lbs irreg. As I was pulling it out of the rear door she pulls up behind me in her stupid minivan and lays on her horn for a solid 3 seconds. It scared the ever living crap out of me, I almost dropped the heavy bookcase on my foot. I turn around and notice it’s a woman that lives on the street. Long story short, after a heated argument I told her I would never deliver anything to her house again. She laughed and said, “You have to, it’s your job!”

She loves stuff from Target and Macy’s, I delivered that crap to her house 2-3 times a week in years past. Now she has to go down to center because I put everything on will call, I won’t even have it on my truck. Pull it off in the morning and sheet it. Once or twice a week I’ll see her address in my board, it makes me smile every time because she has a 15 mile round trip to pick it up. She tried calling in and complaining, my manager told her we won’t be delivering to her address until she apologizes. Haven’t received that apology yet and when I see her on road she can’t even look at me.

Don’t mess with the UPS guy.