16 yr old BMW driver slams into a parked UPS truck

Cowboy Mac

I have a feeling UPS will pay dearly this time for their "parking procedures"--- whether its their drivers fault or not.
I don’t know. If it was someone driving safely or slightly speeding that crashed into the back of UPS, I could see that. In this case the driver of the red car and his parents make better “villains”.

He was breaking the law so many ways. By driving without an adult present, his underage passenger. Excessive speeding, reckless driving resulting in the passengers death and injury to the UPS driver. And it’s all caught on video.

How did he have access to the car? Did his parents allow him to use it? What is their responsibility in all of this?

If none of the above actions had occurred, then I could see UPS paying out big money.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
UPS shouldn't pay one thin dime.

All you need to know, the driver:

The NYPD says he was driving with a Learner's Permit and speeding.

DriverNerd

Unfortunate stop/situation that I haven't come across. If there is truly nowhere to legally and safely park and you'd literally have to walk thru yards and there's no sidewalks or such I'd most definitely refuse the stop.

Try not to make the 10pm news for the wrong reasons buddy, not worth it and I hope you know they don't care about you. Best of luck.
I don't think it's that big of a deal. If there's no where to park, you just park. The mailman makes around 12 stops on that road everyday.

Commercial Inside Release

I think it is a big deal. You get hit like that, while you are in the back, and you might be riding a wheelchair and need someone to feed you and wipe your *ss, until they eventually push you down some stairs and end it for everyone.

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS shouldn't pay one thin dime.

All you need to know, the driver:

The NYPD says he was driving with a Learner's Permit and speeding.
Depends on who his parents are and how much they think it was UPS's fault for parking in a traffic lane which caused their sweet little boy who never had hurt anyone and was "just being a kid"--blah, blah, blah.

Cowboy Mac

Depends on who his parents are and how much they think it was UPS's fault for parking in a traffic lane which caused their sweet little boy who never had hurt anyone and was "just being a kid"--blah, blah, blah.
I think all a jury needs to see is the video and that should be enough to say UPS was not at fault. But it is NY so who knows. They don’t do too well with personal responsibility up there. Also UPS driver was looking a little light complected so I’m sure they’ll use his skin color against him as well.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
The lunch time lawyers will sue everyone imaginable in hopes that something will stick. They’ll get their 1/3 plus expenses.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I think all a jury needs to see is the video and that should be enough to say UPS was not at fault. But it is NY so who knows. They don’t do too well with personal responsibility up there. Also UPS driver was looking a little light complected so I’m sure they’ll use his skin color against him as well.
You better believe the lawyer for the driver of the BMW will be going after UPS.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
The UPS driver was parked in a traffic lane, voluntarily. If he was broken down that would be different. I will bet the driver will have some culpability. I hope not, but it doesn’t look great.
I agree with you. The PC was parked in a roadway. Certainly a significant contributing factor.

Pullman Brown

A crazy stupid irrational deadly decision to impress a girl while being hypnotized by a certain genre of music! That’s how I see that car ride playing out before the collision.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Who hasn't had to stop for the occasional disabled vehicle on the road? Then again we are licensed drivers.