16 yr old BMW driver slams into a parked UPS truck

vvv

How do you not put your 4 ways on delivering on a street like that…Would it have made a difference? Probably not, but maybe. The video isnt the clearest so maybe it isnt picking up the blinking lights, but sure looks like they arent on to me. Obviously this is 100% the 16 year olds fault. But that UPS driver shouldve had his damn hazards on cmon.
Driver of car was a total jerk off and I don't have sympathy for people like that. Having said that I personally think your percentage is off slightly, and I think that small percentage is gonna cost a company some money in the long run.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
The way people driving is getting worse by the day
I cringe when some young person blows by me at 80 ( in a congested 55), seat all the way back and they’re “swimming” ( weaving) through the lanes to only end up behind me a mile or two down the road. Too stupid to know they’re reckless with minimal skill and experience.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Not that it would of helped anything in this situation but I can’t imagine having to park where he did and not putting on the emergency flashers. If he wasn’t using them at this stop he doesn’t have a habit of using his flashers.

DriverNerd

Actually wonder if they go the other way. The poor family that lost their daughter is going to sue everyone. UPS best interest is to say he did the job perfectly to protect the company.

Regardless feel bad for everyone involved. I was a dumb 16 year old at one time.
I have no doubt UPS/Liberty Mutual will deem this 100% not his fault to the other insurance company/lawyer, but that's not what's going to happen internally. It might keep him from being terminated but he'll still get an avoidable and maybe a suspension.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Although there are no "NO PARKING" signs, the PC driver could have made that right and gotten off Conduit.
It's a 30mph limit there.
1684590458826.jpeg

Philipjfry

Our PCM today the manager blamed the driver for “convenience, not safety”
Didn’t mention what the actual driver at fault was doing, just that he rear ended the PC.

Next Day Error

X - Other
The BMW driver changed lanes right before the crash, it doesn't look like he was paying attention. He moved from the third lane to the outside lane right before the crash. I hope our driver is okay, it looks like he got hit in the head by the door jamb.
I wonder about how he's doing. That kind of head strike can lead to a fatal brain bleed!

I cringe when some young person blows by me at 80 ( in a congested 55), seat all the way back and they’re “swimming” ( weaving) through the lanes to only end up behind me a mile or two down the road. Too stupid to know they’re reckless with minimal skill and experience.
That happens to me in a daily basis. Sometimes they are moving so fast you barely see them in your rearview mirror

Started on Paper

I'm not from the area nor have any idea what signage is posted in regards to that street. But I can only assume "NO PARKING" signs are posted on that road. And as some have mentioned and not that would have helped the speeding idiot, but he had no flashers on.
Furthermore his parking position absolutely sucks because if that side street allows traffic coming in his direction and someone needs to make a right turn around his back end he is parked WAY TOO CLOSE to the corner and therefore putting them in harms way of oncoming traffic as well.

Passenger car driver takes on majority of responsibility for simply being a fool.....but don't think for a minute that the UPS driver doesn't take on a percentage of responsibility in the "court" of Brown Cafe, his managers office, and most impotantly the actual court of law. If there are "NO PAKING" signs on that road he's definitely gonna catch some flak. First thing a greedy lawyer would check for is if NO PARKING is posted.
"Yes your honor, my client was speeding and reckless, but if that truck wasn't parked there he would have likely had time and space to straighten out his vehicle without impacting an illegally parked truck".....or something to that effect.

You guys all think I'm talking crap over the years when I keep hammering away on your actions out on route as far as truck handling and parking placement, it's what I constantly talk about. I'm not blowing smoke when I tell you I'll walk off an envelope a solid block long or more until I find proper parking.

Sups won't say anything to you and turn the other way because you are saving them many many minutes day after day until THIS happens. But nobody thinks it'll happen to them just like this driver assumed. Well.....guess what happened.
Don't let THIS be YOU. Take a long walk back n forth and sing a song, whistle, bird watch.....check out hot chicks in the neighborhood. Your boss CAN NOT say anything about you working safe and obeying the law, but they CAN have a lot to say if you are illegally parked and an incident such as this takes place.

Wake up boys & girls, take yourself out of the equation and play it safe ALWAYS!!!!
You know what happens when you assume right?

Someone else posted a picture that showed no signs that said, no parking.

Let's assume again that our union brother " That's also an assumption he could be a scab not paying his union dues" parked 100%. Completely legal.

Not having your four ways on is not a legal requirement. Just a method that UPS wants us to do.

How about next time assume that our union brothers and sisters do everything the proper way and back them up every chance you can until you have full story and are proven wrong with the actual facts.

vvv

You know what happens when you assume right?

Someone else posted a picture that showed no signs that said, no parking.

Let's assume again that our union brother " That's also an assumption he could be a scab not paying his union dues" parked 100%. Completely legal.

Not having your four ways on is not a legal requirement. Just a method that UPS wants us to do.

How about next time assume that our union brothers and sisters do everything the proper way and back them up every chance you can until you have full story and are proven wrong with the actual facts.
Why would I do that, I see plenty of idiots pulling out of my own building in the morning that don't stop for the stop sign. And since I have a later start than most when I try pulling into the parking lot in my personal vehicle our own package cars are parked sideways across lanes instead of waiting for a clear opening to get out and be straight in lanes causing my vision to be blocked trying to make a left into lot and I almost get clipped.

So if they are careless pulling out of building when they are on video I can only imagine what they do out on route.
Don't try to pull the stick together union crap on me buddy, I'm all about union yet will call it how I see it. I would say a good 70% of our drivers suck as far as how they operate the vehicle in all aspects.....and that 70% is probably generous.

As for the flashers being a legal requirement I'm not sure why you brought that up as I never mentioned that, only that it could help.
Next in regards to parking you can bring up the assumption word all you want. Even if it was legal parking you do not park that big truck with the nose nor the backend that near to any corner as it's a major obstruction for cars and pedestrians depending on area and situation.

For what it's worth i've seen other posts made off this site and people who live around there say it's no parking, I won't be flying out to have a look.

Lastly......save it!! He parked like a lazy bum.

vvv

View attachment 429607
I would never park on a frontage road like that.
Turn onto the street and circle back down another.
Careful how you put forth your opinion here Fido, because with your insensitive thoughts you might be deemed to not be backing a union brother.

I could care less if you were allowed to park there, I wouldn't have even thought about doing so for a minute. Damn fool of a driver was about one second away from being very seriously injured.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Why would I do that, I see plenty of idiots pulling out of my own building in the morning that don't stop for the stop sign. And since I have a later start than most when I try pulling into the parking lot in my personal vehicle our own package cars are parked sideways across lanes instead of waiting for a clear opening to get out and be straight in lanes causing my vision to be blocked trying to make a left into lot and I almost get clipped.

So if they are careless pulling out of building when they are on video I can only imagine what they do out on route.
Don't try to pull the stick together union crap on me buddy, I'm all about union yet will call it how I see it. I would say a good 70% of our drivers suck as far as how they operate the vehicle in all aspects.....and that 70% is probably generous.

As for the flashers being a legal requirement I'm not sure why you brought that up as I never mentioned that, only that it could help.
Next in regards to parking you can bring up the assumption word all you want. Even if it was legal parking you do not park that big truck with the nose nor the backend that near to any corner as it's a major obstruction for cars and pedestrians depending on area and situation.

For what it's worth i've seen other posts made off this site and people who live around there say it's no parking, I won't be flying out to have a look.

Lastly......save it!! He parked like a lazy bum.
The man was in a traffic lane. That is what I see. I don’t know the route or the reason he had for parking there like he did. Therefore I can’t assign blame. I can say that given the limited view of the scene, it doesn’t look like a spot I’d have chosen to park, ever.

Sixth Punch Sense

Careful how you put forth your opinion here Fido, because with your insensitive thoughts you might be deemed to not be backing a union brother.

I could care less if you were allowed to park there, I wouldn't have even thought about doing so for a minute. Damn fool of a driver was about one second away from being very seriously injured.
I agree with this, there is no way I would have parked on that highway when I could have walked it off on the side street.

DriverNerd

I park on a road that's 45 mph all the time. No sidewalks, no shoulder, just right in the lane as close to the shoulder as possible. Parking at a nearby road will entail a decent walk through yards. I'm not doing that and I sure as hell won't walk on the road itself. Just flashers and mirror fold in and hope for the best.

vvv

I park on a road that's 45 mph all the time. No sidewalks, no shoulder, just right in the lane as close to the shoulder as possible. Parking at a nearby road will entail a decent walk through yards. I'm not doing that and I sure as hell won't walk on the road itself. Just flashers and mirror fold in and hope for the best.
Unfortunate stop/situation that I haven't come across. If there is truly nowhere to legally and safely park and you'd literally have to walk thru yards and there's no sidewalks or such I'd most definitely refuse the stop.

Try not to make the 10pm news for the wrong reasons buddy, not worth it and I hope you know they don't care about you. Best of luck.