17 drivers laid off 2nite...

squirlygirly

Driver laid-off list went up 2nite in our center. 17 out of approx. 65-70 were listed.

I work in a center, not a hub, San Francisco Bay Area, not San Fran exactly, just the surrounding area,... and not Oakland either, cuz they be the Hub, we be the Center.

I'm not a driver, I just work in the building and I bust my ass. They, the drivers, are the ones that step up and recognize this, more than management ever will. I work at the time when they're all coming in for the end of their day, 8-10 hours, offer to help them out, say, "HEY".

I just hope that this lay-off doesn't last for too long cause in the long run we are ALL going to suffer the consequences, one way or another, no matter whose making the big bucks...and we all know who that is, don't we???

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, we be talkin' west coast Ebonics!!! Got a problem wit dat??

And 8 out of 40 or so drivers on layoff here. Part timers are going to get screwed again once the drivers start bumping them out of their jobs.

Leftinbuilding

Yeah, we be talkin' west coast Ebonics!!! Got a problem wit dat??

And 8 out of 40 or so drivers on layoff here. Part timers are going to get screwed again once the drivers start bumping them out of their jobs.

About the same in our center. To me, this is not as dire as we were lead to believe, and once vacations kick in, we could be short some. Just hope it doesn't get much worse.

No ones laid off here. If anything it`s hard to get a day off. They put up the scheduled off sheets but when Fri comes no one is off the next week. No real cutback on hours either.

over9five

Staff member
I heard 17 Chema package drivers were laid off too. Sent inside, I guess?
Still nothing in Feeders. Too many on comp. No overtime, tho.

Overpaid Union Thug

Our center was supposed to layoff some drivers but management has been taking it day by day instead. So far there have been enough higher seniority drivers taking days off each day. Some of the low seniority drivers are taking days off instead here and there too. We'd be doing this any year though. Its just the same ole January slow down and has nothing to do with a recession. There is no recession here.

browndevil

Driver laid-off list went up 2nite in our center. 17 out of approx. 65-70 were listed.

I work in a center, not a hub, San Francisco Bay Area, not San Fran exactly, just the surrounding area,... and not Oakland either, cuz they be the Hub, we be the Center.

I'm not a driver, I just work in the building and I bust my ass. They, the drivers, are the ones that step up and recognize this, more than management ever will. I work at the time when they're all coming in for the end of their day, 8-10 hours, offer to help them out, say, "HEY".

I just hope that this lay-off doesn't last for too long cause in the long run we are ALL going to suffer the consequences, one way or another, no matter whose making the big bucks...and we all know who that is, don't we???
Same where I am. But the ironic thing is we are now being dispatched 9.5-10.5 hour days. WITH A LAYOFF LIST! The greivences are flying around and morale is in the toilet. But hey everyone don't forget to turn in sales leads:happy2:

trickpony1

Our center was supposed to layoff some drivers but management has been taking it day by day instead. So far there have been enough higher seniority drivers taking days off each day. Some of the low seniority drivers are taking days off instead here and there too. We'd be doing this any year though. Its just the same ole January slow down and has nothing to do with a recession. There is no recession here.

It sounds like you have a management team that recognizes a win-win situation for everyone. Instead of disrupting the entire operation with drivers bumping into the hub or pkg car, PT'ers laid off and morale going down the tubes, your management team is, at least, making an effort to work with EVERYONE (notice the capital letters).
My compliments to them (mgmt.)
Don't let corporate find out about this.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I heard 17 Chema package drivers were laid off too. Sent inside, I guess?
Still nothing in Feeders. Too many on comp. No overtime, tho.

Yeah, there are some on the twi-preload I have seen, and others in the mid-hub unloading ( sorted one yesterday)

He was the lowest on the totem-pole being an 06

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It sounds like you have a management team that recognizes a win-win situation for everyone. Instead of disrupting the entire operation with drivers bumping into the hub or pkg car, PT'ers laid off and morale going down the tubes, your management team is, at least, making an effort to work with EVERYONE (notice the capital letters).
My compliments to them (mgmt.)
Don't let corporate find out about this.

I am having problems with this. What management is doing is giving layoffs to their little pets and not anyone else. It's pretty sad actually, and I might report this to corporate. I only care because theyre using this as a flavor of the week thing and not at all being fair with everyone (i.e. the same 2 people are taking whatever days they want and no one else)

The problem si the contract supplement up here says the junior part-timer gets laid off in post-christmas volume layoffs and he/she can bump another in another classification if has more seniority.

It says nothing about giving VLO's to full or part-time favorites that are in the same grouping before that junior person.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I am having problems with this. What management is doing is giving layoffs to their little pets and not anyone else. It's pretty sad actually, and I might report this to corporate. I only care because theyre using this as a flavor of the week thing and not at all being fair with everyone (i.e. the same 2 people are taking whatever days they want and no one else)

The problem si the contract supplement up here says the junior part-timer gets laid off in post-christmas volume layoffs and he/she can bump another in another classification if has more seniority.

It says nothing about giving VLO's to full or part-time favorites that are in the same grouping before that junior person.
There is a difference in a lay off and vlo's. Yes in a lay off the junior person would be laid off for 1 week and than allowed to bump in ti two ptime positions, a junior 22.3 etc

Now vlo's should go by seniority top to bottom on a day by day basis and should actually have a bid posted.

In taking vlos on a daily basis everyone keeps working, without being bumped down. The reason you see the vlo's is (at least here) once your laid off form driving the company must notify you by letter to return to work in 2 weeks. Of course the company wants you to return the next day, but if we allow that to happen lay offs would happen a lot more.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
They just posted a layoff list of 6 people in my building and if you ask me thats alot less than I thought was coming. Layoffs are a reallity, theve happen in the past and they will hapen in the future. There is a global economic slow down and we are not immune from it. Be thankfull that internet shopping has been one of the few bright spots in the economy.