2 DWI's and driving for UPS

klein

Für Meno :)
UPs only checks your driving record for the past three three years. you can't have any moving violations in the past year and no more than 2 in the last three. So the anwser is yes you can still get a job driving aat UPS.

In Alberta and most of Canada, he wouldn't even be driving his own vehicle, yet !
Plus, those are criminal conviction charges here - they stay on your criminal record forever, or could get a pardon after 10 years.

Our law (and it's not the strictest - British Columbia is much stricter - strictest in all of Canada.

Alberta Impaired Driving

PENALTIES :

Penalties
Many clients ask us why they should defend the charges. The consequences of an impaired driving conviction are substantial. In addition to receiving a criminal conviction, criminal record, possible problems with employment and travel, if convicted you will be subject to the following penalties.

Offence

First
Second
Third
Fine/Jail :
min.$600.
min.14 days
min.90 days

Drive suspension(Code)

1 year
2-5 years
min.3 years

Suspension(Prov’l)
1 year
if within 10 years-3 years
min. 5 years

The penalties set out above are minimum penalties and are thus subject to increase depending on the particular circumstances of the case.

UPSGUY72

Corrected that for you !
They do criminal record checks there, too, I assume. Well, impaired sticks in that forever (here).

You can have a criminal record and work at UPS and get a driving job. They only do a criminal background check when you initially get hired. There are certian criminal infraction that will keep you from getting hired. When you bid a drivers job they check your driving record for the past three (3) years. They don't do a criminal background check again.

DS

Fenderbender
Hey guys,

I have gotten a DWI when I was 22 and at the age of 24, I know I know. I am 26 years old now and my party days are past me...

Would I still be able to drive for UPS? Lets say, I have no tickets for 5-6 straight years would I still be able to drive?

ERolling

My friend,this is a tough crowd. It is totally possible to rehabilitate yourself after two impaired driving convictions.
I can see why the posts are negative,the effects of impaired driving can devastate families.
I also went through this way back about 10 years before I became a driver.
I spent a month in jail and a lenient judge allowed me to apply for the temporary absence program,so I could work during the day,
and go home to jail at night.Not fun.You should have no problem becoming a ft driver.
Good luck.

browniehound

In Alberta and most of Canada, he wouldn't even be driving his own vehicle, yet !
Plus, those are criminal conviction charges here - they stay on your criminal record forever, or could get a pardon after 10 years.

Our law (and it's not the strictest - British Columbia is much stricter - strictest in all of Canada.

Alberta Impaired Driving

PENALTIES :

Penalties
Many clients ask us why they should defend the charges. The consequences of an impaired driving conviction are substantial. In addition to receiving a criminal conviction, criminal record, possible problems with employment and travel, if convicted you will be subject to the following penalties.

Driving while under the influence is a criminal offense in every state in the USA. Loss of licence occurs in every case. Jail sentences follow after multiple convictions. How does this differ from Canadian or British Columbia laws?

Last edited:

klein

Für Meno :)
Why didn't you quote my entire post, with the sentences ?

If you have 2 DUI's within 10 years, you have a minimum of a 3 year driving suspension, plus jail time !

Therefor the poster wouldn`t even be driving to work as we speak, yet ! He would need to wait another year just to get his licence back !
Which then has `dupilicate" printed on it. ( A sign that it has been revoked in the past) !

Not good if the sup wants to see it.

Does come off after his next licence renewal though (5 years after).

TR0LL

I have gotten a DWI when I was 22 and at the age of 24, I know I know. I am 26 years old now and my party days are past me...

Would I still be able to drive for UPS? Lets say, I have no tickets for 5-6 straight years would I still be able to drive?

ERolling

For the sake of me and/or my family, I certainly hope NOT!

TR0LL

Just because he sucks em up on the weekend doesn't mean he can't be a safe UPS driver. Do you think every Brain Surgeon is a non drinker?

Nope.......he can also MOLEST children on the weekend, and that would not mean he couldn't be a safe UPS driver....... If you have a point, please get to it.

TR0LL

Being a UPS driver is a pretty good career choice for many out there. It pays well, with good benefits, and unfortunately for some, has an extremely long, long wait period. For a job that requires as little as a high school diploma, with an average yearly income of around $75,000, I would think acting professional, is NOT that demanding of a requirement. Driving a vehicle is a pretty big part of being a UPS driver, and if one feels the need to drink and drive, numerous of times, so be it. Who am I to say he shouldn't? BUT, there are many out there that DON'T, and who have clean driving records, and KNOW how to obey such laws. Shouldn't THEY be considered for such competitive position, rather than the intoxicated, life threatening, drunkard running amok on our streets, turning his 2 ton vehicle into a death machine? I think drunk drivers do deserve their jobs.......Loading or unloading trucks. But definitely NOT driving them.

TR0LL

dgr72vette is correct. He didn't do it twice, he was caught twice. No telling how many times this occurred during his 'party days'.

Yet people here will still defend his actions with absolutely no remorse for the innocent people he might kill due to his ohhhhhh sooooo looonnngg ago "party days."