2 "Rookie" Questions

jonboy

1. Are all package delivery trucks manual transmission?

2. Is it true that UPS hires 1 out of every 6 package delivery drivers off the street? The reason I ask is because I am 27 years old and am just now pursing a career with UPS, and I don't want to spend 5-6 years as a package handler. If they do hire off the street any suggestions on how to get one of these positons. Thanks.

Just Lurking

1. Are all package delivery trucks manual transmission?

No. New P-7 and P-47's are automatic. Good Luck on getting a route with them being low man.

2. Is it true that UPS hires 1 out of every 6 package delivery drivers off the street? The reason I ask is because I am 27 years old and am just now pursing a career with UPS, and I don't want to spend 5-6 years as a package handler. If they do hire off the street any suggestions on how to get one of these positons. Thanks.

Can you change to be a jongirl?

Seriously, it ranges from less than a year to over 10 years depending on location. Nobody want to wait but it part of the process. I had almost 11 years and I was second in line for better oart of 5 years. :sad:

ikoi62

to add to what he said.
also most new p-1000 & p-1300's are auto too
like he said good luck getting one, and on your road test you will get whatever's left in the building..which are normally the oldest crap there is.:crying:

also you can be hired off the streets as a driver (we have 2 that got fulltime driver positions this year) so it can be done. but the odds are slim.

helenofcalifornia

Hey Ikoi62, what area of the country are you in? And how did it happen that no supervisors wanted to drive? The last time anyone was hired off the street in this area was in the early 90's.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Chances of getting hired off the street depend on your location. In my building so many fulltime positions have opened up in the last 5-6 years that pretty much every part timer who wanted to drive has already moved up. For the last couple years just about every new driving position has been filled with an "off the street hire", at least 10 a year. All the junior cover drivers in my delivery group came from outside. We're getting into the part of the year where the only openings are seasonal though, so your best bet might be to wait til Jan 1st.

Black

I am an off the street hire, "casual" and currently going through the driver traning class. It's amazing how much you really don't know about driving once you start this class. I'm so glad I have decided to take this career jump. In three days of class I have learned so much it's amazing. Five seeing habits, 10pt commentary, H.A.B.I.T.S and the 6 Backing pts.

In the area I'm located I was told there is going to be a lot of movement with the drivers, so there is a great chance of a outsider getting hired as a full-timer once the holiday's are over. If you work hard, don't get into any accidents, and keep a clean driving record you have a great chance. Friday I sit in with another driver and we go out on the route.

Good luck with your decision and if anything you got your foot into the door of a great company.

Just Lurking

In the area I'm located I was told there is going to be a lot of movement with the drivers, so there is a great chance of a outsider getting hired as a full-timer once the holiday's are over. If you work hard, don't get into any accidents, and keep a clean driving record you have a great chance. Friday I sit in with another driver and we go out on the route.

I wish all the good luck in the world but must likely you will not find this true.

We currently have five vacation replacement driver (off the street) working in our center. There is plans to bring on two or three more permement drivers. All of them believe that they can get these permament openings. Sadly, (1)there is already not enough openings for all of them. (2) All of the openings are going to part-timers because of contractual language. (3) UPS is not gong to lose money on grievances files by part-timers because their full-time seniority is backdated thus losing progression savings when they go full-time.

ikoi62

Hey Ikoi62, what area of the country are you in? And how did it happen that no supervisors wanted to drive? The last time anyone was hired off the street in this area was in the early 90's.
im in north nj..
the center i work for has had 11 guys go to feeders this year alone..most of the p/t people failed the road test ( cant drive stick) the sups that wanted to drive quit before they were asked..the center now has 8 new drivers 2 off the street..still short almost 5 drivers but they have been doing road tests everyday the past 2 weeks and 2 of the road tests were off the street.
i was hired off the street but that was in the 80's..

landrick

Again, it probably depends on the area.

I started last October as an off-the-street seasonal hire (L.A. area.) I worked every day until New Year's Eve, then got cut loose (as expected.) In February, I got a call asking if I wanted to come back full-time, so I did. I know that at least one other driver in my center who went through the exact same scenario.

A bunch of our drivers are moving up to feeder, and we seem to be training new ones like crazy...as evidenced by the fact that there are already 5 guys with less seniority than me...and I've only been back for 7 months.

For what it's worth, I started this whole thing by applying at upsjobs.com, and it all took off from there. And I don't know how common it is, but...starting off as a seasonal worked out for me.

Braveheart

1= Not all trucks are manual but most are and you have to be able to drive a manual shifter to get a job. About 75-80% of our trucks are manual and only the high senior guys get the autos............... 2=The contract says 6 inside and 1 outside but if nobody wants or qualifies inside they will take more from the outside. Most on the outside usually part time sups, then minorities after that. At least that is how it is where I am from. Working inside as a part timer gives you seniority order of promotion and valuable experiance like air driving on Saturdays and exception air too.

Braveheart

I am an off the street hire, "casual" and currently going through the driver traning class. It's amazing how much you really don't know about driving once you start this class. I'm so glad I have decided to take this career jump. In three days of class I have learned so much it's amazing. Five seeing habits, 10pt commentary, H.A.B.I.T.S and the 6 Backing pts.

Good luck with your decision and if anything you got your foot into the door of a great company.
Hey newbie don't get too high on the great company thing. We do get great pay and benes that our union negotiated but there are many bad things to take with the good ones. Just be prepared for the bad ones. Many new drivers quit in theit first year do to the overly demanding workload, production pushing, perfection expecting company with no a/c and just try to get time off. No 1/2 days here, no coming in an hour or two late or leaving an hour or two early either. There is no work-life balance only work only UPS.