20+ years drivers

Ms.PacMan

I didn't see the gold call tags in the shipper books mentioned. It took me ages to remember there was no longer a spot in the old books to mark (remember 5 to a page books!) the call tag number.

I used to deliver to the county fair. The carnies would have their trailers parked in two rows. I'd make a big circle around the midway, honking the horn like crazy then drive to the middle of the trailers. I'd throw open the back door and start making piles of boxes on the ground. If you think carnival workers are a motley crew in the day, you should see them first thing in the morning! They would all walk to the truck to collect their stuff. It was all COD and I actually had to do the math! They would all pay me in dollar bills. I would have literally $1000 dollar bills! I'd drive back to the building and grab a handful of turn in envelopes, run up to the office and dump all the dollar bills and envelopes on the center manager's desk for him to sort out.

Nordic tracks - I delivered one to the 4th floor of a bank once and said, "Well, there's your first workout - strapping it to the Corolla and getting it home!" She thought I was kidding.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
No seat belts in trucks. Bulk head door stuck open (why would you ever want to close it unless it was to get the cab warm in the winter) Cash CODs at times I have turned in as much as ten grand in cash at end of the day. The green SAVE boxes that had samples of different things in them.

1080Driver

170513 - Fingerhut. If you worked in "the hood", you saw this number all day long. I still remember the return address - 11 McLelland Dr, St. Cloud, Mn

rod

Retired 22 years
170513 - Fingerhut. If you worked in "the hood", you saw this number all day long. I still remember the return address - 11 McLelland Dr, St. Cloud, Mn

I have a friend who worked for Fingerhut back in their hay day. I still have a 2 pound coffee can full of sockets that mysteriously fell into his lunch pail over the few years he was there.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I hit the 24 year mark next week. Suddenly the man in the mirror is one of the old guys on a high mileage country run without a real sense of urgency. How did this happen?

barnyard

KTM rider

Right across the river from me. My wife used to work in their jewelry department.

1 year, I had to stop there the Saturday before Christmas for a 2DA special pick up. They had boxes strapped to 6 pallets and I took them to the Broadway bldg in Mpls. They freaked out. The supe said they did not have a large enough crew to sort that. I think he wanted me to take it all back to St Cloud. There were thousands of envelopes per pallet tote thingy.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I hit the 24 year mark next week. Suddenly the man in the mirror is one of the old guys on a high mileage country run without a real sense of urgency. How did this happen?
How did a youngster like yourself fall into a gravy, high mileage route? Your center actually have someone retire? How you liking all those miles with all the snow and ice?