20+ years drivers

oldupsman

Re: MX

how about the 1st gen diad,you would scan all the bar codes then like every hour you had to use a phone an down load all info from diad.
And customers used to be amazed by that. Like we were some kind of space age company eons ahead of everyone else.
How about MX (merchandise exchange) always seemed to be a telephone you were exchanging and a little old lady that had no idea what or how to remove the old one so you'd have to go in unplug old one and plug in the new one for them.
And those little old ladies were so grateful. It made you feel good to help then out.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Re: MX

How about MX (merchandise exchange) always seemed to be a telephone you were exchanging and a little old lady that had no idea what or how to remove the old one so you'd have to go in unplug old one and plug in the new one for them.

Unplug? I had one on a Friday night, and the sweet old lady was so adamant I leave the new phone and take the old. She swore her son was coming on Saturday to connect the new one, so I agreed to come in and disconnect it. I actually had to yank it off the wall and cut the wires with my pocket knife.

She thanked me profusely.:surprised:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My first Sat airs were late internationals , which they would call me in at 6:30am & the stuff wouldn't show up for hours.
Preload used to start at midnight M-friend .

I enjoyed those Ford Vans , first the regulars & then the bubbletops .
One morning a new sup stopped on the way out of the blding , saying that I had been seen leaving 3 days in a round without closing my bulkhead door . I called over the ctr mgr to explain to the sup that my vehicle did not have a bulkhead door.

What I really miss was using my own vehicle to del. airs { Exception Airs } also known as misloads , many times I had to drive out-of -state to complete them . Back then I was given an expense account to cover mileage & toll fees .
It was like getting an extra week's check every month .

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
One Time Pick Ups. They looked like a call tag

Red Call Tag Boxes. Call Tags were loaded with Packages

Z scan

rod

Retired 22 years
Clarksville USA sheet writing test ,,,,,Mine always came back with red highlights ,,If I remember right,wern't we graded on them like little schoolboys??

After you spent 20 to 30 minutes doing this test they would go over it and give you the correct answers. After getting tired of taking the same old test over and over I finally got smart and used a half a dozen carbon sheets to make copies of the correct answers. After that anytime we had the test I would go up to my locker and grab a completed "100% correct test" and spend the time goofing off and smoking cigarettes while the rest of the guys slaved away on their test. It didn't take management long to figure out what I was doing but they never said anything about it---I guess they could report that they had a driver who aced the test.

boswharfs

I actually got trained as a methods trainer to train new drivers. Unfortunately, that didn't last long. Trained a lot of bid moves though.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
After you spent 20 to 30 minutes doing this test they would go over it and give you the correct answers. After getting tired of taking the same old test over and over I finally got smart and used a half a dozen carbon sheets to make copies of the correct answers. After that anytime we had the test I would go up to my locker and grab a completed "100% correct test" and spend the time goofing off and smoking cigarettes while the rest of the guys slaved away on their test. It didn't take management long to figure out what I was doing but they never said anything about it---I guess they could report that they had a driver who aced the test.

Once our center finally left the stone age and got a copier, one of our part-timers copied his completed DOK (or whatever they called it then) and just turned in the copies. Took about six months before anybody figured it out.

waffles

Circle of honor....back in the day you got a nice dinner a nice leather bomber USA Today ,it was a special day a big accomplishment ....I thought what a cool company to work for, someday when I'm old n gray it would be neat to be in the CIRCLE of HONOR, ....well I'm finally in it and you guessed it ...not even a handshake.

brownboyups

i drove a p800 stick...huge step to the ground...started as a xmas helper in december of 1989 for $6.50...now a driver for 17 years and make $32.72...had a thrift plan no 401k...trucks were 100% packed with packages...now 40%...that's scary but with UPS increasing the rates 3-5% every year that makes up for fedex grabbing volume every year

waffles

20+years ago capitalism meant strong profits, answering to your customers, taking care of your employees, it was the American way, now it seems and I guess it's still the American way that capitalism means ridiculous profits, screw your customers, not care for your employees and answer only to Wall Street. I am proud to live in a free capitalist society but these companies today sure are making it tuff on the middle class, they are changing the meaning of capitalism to greedy society

oldupsman

Circle of honor....back in the day you got a nice dinner a nice leather bomber USA Today ,it was a special day a big accomplishment ....I thought what a cool company to work for, someday when I'm old n gray it would be neat to be in the CIRCLE of HONOR, ....well I'm finally in it and you guessed it ...not even a handshake.
You're right Waffles. When I went in it was a great event. Had a beautiful banquet in a top notch hotel. Open bar, live music. Individual pictures taken
of each new inductee and then a group picture of everyone in attendance. Even retirees were invited. It was great to see guys who had taken me under
their wing when I started. Free room for the night and then a buffet breakfast in the morning. Managers loved when one of their drivers made it
because then they got invited too. More then one center manager told me that Circle of Honor party was the nicest event they ever attended at UPS. It really made you feel you were
part of something special. Never missed one. Now it's all gone.

barnyard

KTM rider
We just hung posters in our center, they look like football jerseys with the driver's name and the number is the year they were inducted into the circle of honor. We have one retiring in May and the plan is to take down the poster, have everyone sign it and give it to the driver. The guy retiring says that he is going to hang it in his shop.

Not as cool as some of the old gifts, but not terrible.

Re-Raise

..trucks were 100% packed with packages...now 40%...that's scary but with UPS increasing the rates 3-5% every year that makes up for fedex grabbing volume every year

What are you talking about?

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but our routes are going out with a lot more packages than they did when I was a preloader 27 years ago.

I actually had a driver in the 80's tell me to slide the packages to the front so there wouldn't be so much space between them. I can't say that I have that problem now.

The routes that used to go out with 100 stops 20 years ago, have 135 stops now. Where the hell are the trucks going out 40 % full ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I actually had a driver in the 80's tell me to slide the packages to the front so there wouldn't be so much space between them. I can't say that I have that problem now.

We used to tell our preloaders to build fake walls and to add 10 stops to the stop count. The sups would only check to see how full they were from the rear of the pkg cars. It was much easier to add a few stops during the day back when we delivered on paper.