20+ years drivers

helenofcalifornia

How about when the PTers and FTers got the same wage? Then the contract of 1981 came. UPS offered a signing bonus ($1000 to FTers and $500 to PTers to sign the new contract) to establish a two tier wage system, (which is where the $8 an hr. for PTers came into play) which I believe was overwhelmingly endorsed by us all.

I think UPS will offer a new signing bonus to get us to vote in their new contract. They can afford it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Using pay phones to "collect call the center"... Three time cards stapled together because you had some many areas on a "world split"! Do the new guys even know what a area map is?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Does anybody remember delivering all those cases of Diet Pepsi?

Yeah, I remember we had pallets of them sitting around. I also remember one year when we delivered phonebooks, each one of them had a specific delivery address.

Using pay phones to "collect call the center"... Three time cards stapled together because you had some many areas on a "world split"! Do the new guys even know what a area map is?

These were "Defined Areas", I think we still have them. My first route had four different ones on it, you had to start a new paper delivery record when you crossed into a different area. Two copies of each delivery sheet, one original and the other was a copy made with carbon paper. If the consignee wanted a receipt, we had to take out a second piece of carbon paper and make a third copy.

rod

Retired 22 years
How about when the PTers and FTers got the same wage? Then the contract of 1981 came. UPS offered a signing bonus ($1000 to FTers and $500 to PTers to sign the new contract) to establish a two tier wage system, (which is where the $8 an hr. for PTers came into play) which I believe was overwhelmingly endorsed by us all.

I think UPS will offer a new signing bonus to get us to vote in their new contract. They can afford it.

I remenber everyone being really disappointed when the $1,000 "bonus" check turned out to be about $665 after taxes.

upsgrunt

Yeah, I remember we had pallets of them sitting around. I also remember one year when we delivered phonebooks, each one of them had a specific delivery address.

These were "Defined Areas", I think we still have them. My first route had four different ones on it, you had to start a new paper delivery record when you crossed into a different area. Two copies of each delivery sheet, one original and the other was a copy made with carbon paper. If the consignee wanted a receipt, we had to take out a second piece of carbon paper and make a third copy.

When we would get phone books, we would have split cars with 150 stops of just phone books. This was back when we were on paper, and let me tell you, it's hard to sort and set up 150 phone books and have them stay in the order you sorted them.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
AVon--300360. P400's that went faster when you applied the brakes. P500's with the soft coil spring suspension(low to the ground steps). At least 3 pens- one in use, one warming in the rh chest pocket, and one in the back in reserve. And when you broke a pen in, making sure you kept that pen. Bankers clasps that would work as weapons. Running an extended route, and leaving the small town with over 10 g's in your pocket.....

modee

692723. JC Penney. 10500 E. Lackman Lenexa KS
remember having to write the return address in the remarks column for a refused RTS pkg?

Leftinbuilding

When we would get phone books, we would have split cars with 150 stops of just phone books. This was back when we were on paper, and let me tell you, it's hard to sort and set up 150 phone books and have them stay in the order you sorted them.

Set my personal best stops per hour delivering phone books to businesses. 47 stops in one hour. No release #.

madhouse

MX

How about MX (merchandise exchange) always seemed to be a telephone you were exchanging and a little old lady that had no idea what or how to remove the old one so you'd have to go in unplug old one and plug in the new one for them.

rod

Retired 22 years
How about the good old days of turning in soggy paper delivery records after working in the rain all day. There were times the delivery records were so soaked they literally fell apart.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Trying to find a spot at the turn in counter,then again at the big box which you had to file the delivery records!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Clarksville USA sheet writing test ,,,,,Mine always came back with red highlights ,,If I remember right,wern't we graded on them like little schoolboys??