2013 Contract - Wage Issues - What Do You Want to See?

spmoto

Specifically related to wage issues, I have an idea of what I believe the starting wage should be for pt hourly employees. But I'm curious as to what other people thing? What are your thoughts?

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Tip wage for loaders. Tips coming from a stipend given to the drivers that they load for. Load sucks, driver keeps cash for putting up with your slop. Good loads, loader is given a percentage weekly based on the "Ys" the driver punches into the DIAD when prompted.

I just came up with this on the fly but I think I may have just solved the world wide misload problem.

YOU READING THIS ATLANTA? !?!?!?!

UPSGUY72

Tip wage for loaders. Tips coming from a stipend given to the drivers that they load for. Load sucks, driver keeps cash for putting up with your slop. Good loads, loader is given a percentage weekly based on the "Ys" the driver punches into the DIAD when prompted.

I just came up with this on the fly but I think I may have just solved the world wide misload problem.

YOU READING THIS ATLANTA? !?!?!?!

That would be performance based pay. Your in the union that will never happen...

brown_trousers

I'm surprised there's so much talk of PT starting pay. I would think that any part-timer that has already been hired at UPS would want to see better raises in THEIR future, rather than see those raises go to OTHER people that were just hired.

If I was part-time, I would push for accelerated raises as you gain seniority

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You know I wouldn't have a huge problem with it being 9-10 bucks but a large $2 raise at your 1 year anniversary. I like upstates proposal best though give them the option of health insurance. If you don't want it you make $5 an hour more or so.

spmoto

You know I wouldn't have a huge problem with it being 9-10 bucks but a large $2 raise at your 1 year anniversary. I like upstates proposal best though give them the option of health insurance. If you don't want it you make $5 an hour more or so.

I like the idea of offering $5 an hour more in lieu of health benefits.

I'm not very optimistic about the part time pay increases for this contract. Sometimes I feel like we (pt employees) are second class union members

Jacob Tennessen

As I start year 5 as a part timer now, I'd like to see more performance based ways to make more money or be fastracked to promotions based on performance. I know these Unions seem absolutely against rewarding anyone but the lazy to the detriment of the union and the company, but if they were serious about staying strong, they should change their way of thinking. I work very hard every day because thats the way I am wired, but every day I am intimidated by fellow employees who want me to slow down...The common attitude in my hub is do as little as they can get away with and management doesn't even seem to care...some of them are as lazy as the employees. I'd like to see the people who actually seem to care about doing a good job be rewarded somehow. At the same time, motivate the rest.

Brownslave688

as i start year 5 as a part timer now, i'd like to see more performance based ways to make more money or be fastracked to promotions based on performance. I know these unions seem absolutely against rewarding anyone but the lazy to the detriment of the union and the company, but if they were serious about staying strong, they should change their way of thinking. I work very hard every day because thats the way i am wired, but every day i am intimidated by fellow employees who want me to slow down...the common attitude in my hub is do as little as they can get away with and management doesn't even seem to care...some of them are as lazy as the employees. I'd like to see the people who actually seem to care about doing a good job be rewarded somehow. At the same time, motivate the rest.

zero chance!!!

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I would like to see us hold the line in Full Time pay, with a modest increase for inflation in order to bring UPS Freight up to our wage levels by the end of the Contract.

brown_trousers

I would like to see us hold the line in Full Time pay, with a modest increase for inflation in order to bring UPS Freight up to our wage levels by the end of the Contract.

Hmmm... Although I have sympathy for UPS Freight, they need to stay out of our negotiations. We need to negotiate our contract based on the success of our small package business, they need to negotiate theirs based on the success of their freight business

Brownslave688

Freight would be about as profitable as USPS if they made as much as us. Also I know I've said it 100 times but an inflation raise alone is at least $1 an hour every year.

k946

If by chance ups small pak went on strike would want the freight side to back up or would it be ok for them to do their job during that time. I would think you would want frieghts support. You know ups will freight doing some the work for small pak during that time so shouldn't we all stick together? There is no doubt that small carriers the load for ups in general(not disputing that) But if you continue to divide, they will conquer all of us. Just something to think about.

Returntosender

Seen a couple scs flatbeds at Macys all the freight is pallets. Macys workers just fork the pallets right off. Freight can make more money if they take bulk drops 100+ pcs to one business away from package driver.

brown_trousers

If by chance ups small pak went on strike would want the freight side to back up or would it be ok for them to do their job during that time. I would think you would want frieghts support. You know ups will freight doing some the work for small pak during that time so shouldn't we all stick together? There is no doubt that small carriers the load for ups in general(not disputing that) But if you continue to divide, they will conquer all of us. Just something to think about.

I believe UPS freight would support us if we went on strike, and vise-versa, we would support them if they went on strike... BUT... We need to keep our contract negotiations seperate, small package negotiations are for negotiating a contract for small package teamsters only, UPS freight Teamsters will get their own contract negotiations soon enough

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I thought I read that they set both contracts to expire at the same time in the last negotiations. Separate yes, but no reason a Gentleman's agreement couldn't be struck to make a sacrifice on our end to bring our Brothers & Sisters up. UPS Freight drivers do more work than many of our Feeder drivers IMO and get paid less. The ones I've talked too seem like an Air Driver/Feeder Driver with a DIAD and 5 pickups to do by 1700 and it's 1645. They're driving a tractor-trailer and expected to make the same production as an Air Driver in a P3.

Give them UPS's grooming standard & bring their pay up to ours.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I believe UPS freight would support us if we went on strike, and vise-versa, we would support them if they went on strike... BUT... We need to keep our contract negotiations seperate, small package negotiations are for negotiating a contract for small package teamsters only, UPS freight Teamsters will get their own contract negotiations soon enough

So UPS freight is not part of the master freight agreement???

I think the wages at freight are more than adequate. I believe you make more than USF Yellow And Roadway. These are longtime teamsters who have had to give back. You are new and already share in the ups success. The amount that your end contributes to the bottom line is pretty good.