2013 Contract - Wage Issues - What Do You Want to See?

As I start year 5 as a part timer now, I'd like to see more performance based ways to make more money or be fastracked to promotions based on performance. I know these Unions seem absolutely against rewarding anyone but the lazy to the detriment of the union and the company, but if they were serious about staying strong, they should change their way of thinking. I work very hard every day because thats the way I am wired, but every day I am intimidated by fellow employees who want me to slow down...The common attitude in my hub is do as little as they can get away with and management doesn't even seem to care...some of them are as lazy as the employees. I'd like to see the people who actually seem to care about doing a good job be rewarded somehow. At the same time, motivate the rest.
That's scab talk right there.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think the wages at freight are more than adequate. I believe you make more than USF Yellow And Roadway. These are longtime teamsters who have had to give back. You are new and already share in the ups success. The amount that your end contributes to the bottom line is pretty good.

The freight business model just does not allow for the same type wages that we make that's just the truth.

brown_trousers

The freight business model just does not allow for the same type wages that we make that's just the truth.
agreed!

The bottom line truth is.... If you work in a business with a more profitable product, you make more income.

If you work in a business with a less profitable product, you make less income.

Your wages should not exceed the profitability of your business!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

agreed!

The bottom line truth is.... If you work in a business with a more profitable product, you make more income.

If you work in a business with a less profitable product, you make less income.

Your wages should not exceed the profitability of your business!

I'm confused---I thought we were all "brothers".

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It appears some "Bros" are more equal than others.

I find this particular line of posts interesting ... not enlightening though since I already knew the Teamster Brothers and Sisters were always about greed.

Part-timers and Freight UPSers, you are on the outside looking in.

brown_trousers

UPS freight is more like a half-brother:wink2: We gotta fix our own problems in small package, before we can start fixing a different business' problems. We have a whole group of full-blooded brothers (a.k.a. part-timers) that need to be taken care of before we shift our focus towards UPS Freight.

UPSGUY72

That would be performance based pay. Your in the union that will never happen...

Who said I was union? Aren't right to work states great? :cool:

Alas, it is a union contract. Back to the drawing board.

There is only one contract whether your in the union or not you will never see a performance based pay system whether you work in a right to work state or not you still work in a union shop.

A

anonymous6

"I already knew the Teamster Brothers and Sisters were always about greed."

greed? really?

our co has been averaging a billion dollars of profit every quarter and we shouldn't get a fair share of that?

come on

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It appears some "Bros" are more equal than others.

I find this particular line of posts interesting ... not enlightening though since I already knew the Teamster Brothers and Sisters were always about greed.

Part-timers and Freight UPSers, you are on the outside looking in.
"I already knew the Teamster Brothers and Sisters were always about greed."

greed? really?

our co has been averaging a billion dollars of profit every quarter and we shouldn't get a fair share of that?

come on

In context.

Whatever your fair share is, you've been hogging it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There is only one contract whether your in the union or not you will never see a performance based pay system whether you work in a right to work state or not you still work in a union shop.

I didn't realize that. I'll give back the 6 figures I made in production bonus the last 23 years.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The production bonus is the "performance based pay" and it should be telling that the Company keeps changing the rules on how you can attain it. No thank you, I'll take hourly pay and overtime.

I can just imagine production bonuses in Feeders. We'd be like Domino's Pizza's 30 minutes or less until the lawsuits start rolling in.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The production bonus is the "performance based pay" and it should be telling that the Company keeps changing the rules on how you can attain it. No thank you, I'll take hourly pay and overtime.

I can just imagine production bonuses in Feeders. We'd be like Domino's Pizza's 30 minutes or less until the lawsuits start rolling in.

Feeders is a different animal altogether. It's hard to make time shaving 15 seconds off of 3 stops. 150 to 200 is another story.

k946

Seems like everyone here has jumped to a conclusion. No the freight side is not under the master freight agreement. Alot of the guys at freight do not expect to jump right up to where you are in pay, or even some of benefits. But, for some of you to treat us like a red headed step child is beyond me. UPS freight isn't making the big profits because of the poor drivers. And I know I will catch crap for this one,,,,lol...the 2 can't even be compared. Yes you guys do bust your balls with all the stops, but they bust their balls also. They do not have the luxury of stopping 50 yards away when traffic is bad or something else is happening to make their delivery, they are the mercy of who is front of them and we might only have 1 or maybe 2 doors they can unload in. So you can't compare stops. You just cannot run the operations the same which is what they are trying to do. How about just accepting they just want to get to where you guys are in a contract or 2. I will give credit to UPS that for the most part they do have you guys down to a science. They didn't get there with freight yet, but its not the drivers fault. They get the same numbers crap that you guys do and they are short handed as well. I still believe that if small pak and freight do not start coming together, UPS will divide and conquer. As far as backing you up if your on strike, I think the drivers would back you up. IF THEY GET THE CHANCE! remember your CBA is different then freights. Just food for thought.......ok, I'm done, now you can let me have it....lol

Inthegame

Oh another post with Hoak being Hoak...the clever one. One question, why are you working at UPS? For S&G??? Thanks for the capitalization of sisters and brothers, you make us feel very important as you slam us.
UPS would eat it self alive without the Teamsters.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Seems like everyone here has jumped to a conclusion. No the freight side is not under the master freight agreement. Alot of the guys at freight do not expect to jump right up to where you are in pay, or even some of benefits. But, for some of you to treat us like a red headed step child is beyond me. UPS freight isn't making the big profits because of the poor drivers. And I know I will catch crap for this one,,,,lol...the 2 can't even be compared. Yes you guys do bust your balls with all the stops, but they bust their balls also. They do not have the luxury of stopping 50 yards away when traffic is bad or something else is happening to make their delivery, they are the mercy of who is front of them and we might only have 1 or maybe 2 doors they can unload in. So you can't compare stops. You just cannot run the operations the same which is what they are trying to do. How about just accepting they just want to get to where you guys are in a contract or 2. I will give credit to UPS that for the most part they do have you guys down to a science. They didn't get there with freight yet, but its not the drivers fault. They get the same numbers crap that you guys do and they are short handed as well. I still believe that if small pak and freight do not start coming together, UPS will divide and conquer. As far as backing you up if your on strike, I think the drivers would back you up. IF THEY GET THE CHANCE! remember your CBA is different then freights. Just food for thought.......ok, I'm done, now you can let me have it....lol

Hang in there Brother most of us don't agree with treating UPSF as second class citizens. Overall things are better than when it was Overnite, yes? I don't get a chance to talk to the Freight guys much anymore.

It would be nice if we could come together under one Contract but that would create all sorts of Seniority issues so it's best we stay under separate Contracts. However, in this case Separate but Equal could be a good goal to strive for.

k946

In some aspects that may be true. Like I stated before, the biggest reason is because the comments from guys like you will never let them be anything but overnight!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In some aspects that may be true. Like I stated before, the biggest reason is because the comments from guys like you will never let them be anything but overnight!

There is more to being a UPSer than a logo on the side of the truck or above the left pocket on the uniform shirt. There is a level of professionalism that I have yet to see from any of the Freight guys I have run in to.