2019 Driver Helpers

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
They aren't always necessary but UPS shoves them down our throats anyway. I prefer working alone most days.

I share your sentiment but I always looked forward to having a helper when it was peak, cold, dark, and buried in a ton of stops. I did the work for 11 months out of the year. They can do it for a month.

It's nice to take a break to just drive and have them jump while I stay warm and sort perfectly the next 10-20 stops. In tighter areas, I would also jump and we could knock out 30-60 stops in an hour which was nice to help knock down the load and get done sooner.

Nowadays, the only time I see a helper is when they are sitting in a parking lot waiting to find out when their check is coming in.

Bob11B

My helper is 57...built like a football player..grandmother of 12. I can’t really complain. She has common sense, isn’t annoying and walks at a halfway decent pace.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
They started using helpers the last couple of years I was in PC. I had a semi rural route, and I didn't really need a helper, but they gave me one. Best helper I had was a 50+ guy who was an executive with Southern Pacific railroad. He took the month of December off as vacation every year and worked as a helper. I was familiar with the subdivision where he lived. $200,000 and up, and that was back in the early 80's. To each his own.

Brotherrr

Well, I did my first stint as helper yesterday. It was pretty good. I had a great driver and didnt have any problems. It's good cardio too. While I was in the middle of my shift I got a text to reply "1" if I was available to work today. I replied 1 a couple hours later but no work today! Is it because I waited a couple hours to reply? I was in the middle of working so not checking my phone. Would really like to work some more but seems like its hit or miss if you get a text to come in or not.