2019 Driver Helpers

Willie C

I’ve got my Beard
So I guess it's a definite no to using any of the preloaders as helpers as well?
Haven’t seen a single helper yet this year and we’ve got so many extra drivers we don’t have enough vehicles. I know from some of the guys that use the same helper every year almost all of the helpers have been getting the run around. I think the strategy this year is throw as many :censored2:ty drivers at the wall and see what sticks and not utilize helpers. Lost three in the past two weeks. That’s what happens when you train in a PC then get thrown into a rental.
That’s a shame. We, Helpers are willing and able to work, that’s why we applied. Wish they were better squared away. Antsy. Thanks.

Willie C

I’ve got my Beard
Looking at upsers comments and such, so many helpers getting the run-around. I remember doing it years ago. I ended up working 2-3 days total, after waiting and calling and waiting and calling. Yet at the same time, most are getting over worked right now. There's no easy balance I guess.
Shameful. We applied to work. They’re silly sending me safety messages before I’ve even set foot in a PC this season. I’m surprised because my first season went pretty smooth.

Willie C

I’ve got my Beard
Looking at upsers comments and such, so many helpers getting the run-around. I remember doing it years ago. I ended up working 2-3 days total, after waiting and calling and waiting and calling. Yet at the same time, most are getting over worked right now. There's no easy balance I guess.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Just having a bit of fun. Bet you’re a full timer!

Nah. I'm a part timer.

Don't worry, you'll be up to your eyes in hours in a matter of a couple weeks. Thanksgiving's probably when the floodgates will open wide.

Before then, there'll be 50 helpers, and 10 routes needing them. After, 10 helpers still around, and 50 routes needing help.

Willie C

I’ve got my Beard
Hope so. Just strange that last year, my first season went so smoothly coming onboard. This year seems wacky, big emphasis on PVD’s and Helpers are just kind of an after thought.

Willie C

I’ve got my Beard
The part time rider for my JC says helpers 11/15 - 12/31. They can use insiders as helpers at their discretion. They can also have helpers 1/1 - 1/15 but have to use bargaining unit employees.

Thanks, that’s more info that I’ve gotten from most. We’ll see.

MattM

Are PVDs getting the easier residental stops? They need someone to Exclusively do pickups. That's what killed my driver and myself years ago. Going out of your way for pickups when you already have 200 more deliveries.

Right now, the inside union guys who signed up to driver help are getting the run around, let alone new blood. So I want to say be patient. But I just don't know

They will literally call you at 10am or even as late as 4 wanting you to meet up somewhere, leaving your car in vulnerable spots. It's always at their convenience. I know most inside guys quit helping after a week or two. So the floodgates should be opening up soon.

One guy drives 25 miles out of his way. They won't pair him with someone in his home area. They wanted me to drive across the city during rush hour to meet a guy, even though I'm two miles from their hub. They could with a touch of effort make easier and better pairs. I would love to driver help in my neighborhood. But they threw me across town. Never again. I didn't get a call for a solid 2-3 weeks. Week of christmas they finally wanted me.

Oh and they were out of uniforms so I went out and bought a brown jacket.
Total amateur hour many years back. And nothing's changed.

I hear one guy in our building is getting 8hrs/day helping. So the work is out there apparently. He's one of maybe 12 that signed, 2-3 remain.

Being on call is the worst. More stable peak hours/jobs are all around. Go there. Don't wait for ups IMHO.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank you Union Brother. Received a text saying probably next week. Just antsy to work. Nice weather here so it makes me wanna get moving. Stay safe.

Sounds like you are really looking forward to this job.

If you want to practice before they call you, here's what you should do:

Go in to your garage and grab 3-4 boxes of varying size and weight. Throw them in to the back seat of your car. Ask your wife to drive you to the nearest cul de sac. Have her pull the car over, you get out, grab the packages and ask her to point at which houses they go to. Once they have all been "delivered" gather them all up, drive a bit further down the street and do it all over again.

Now you are all set to be the ideal helper.

Johney

Sounds like you are really looking forward to this job.

If you want to practice before they call you, here's what you should do:

Go in to your garage and grab 3-4 boxes of varying size and weight. Throw them in to the back seat of your car. Ask your wife to drive you to the nearest cul de sac. Have her pull the car over, you get out, grab the packages and ask her to point at which houses they go to. Once they have all been "delivered" gather them all up, drive a bit further down the street and do it all over again.

Now you are all set to be the ideal helper.
SMH.