2023 contract

542thruNthru

There has got to be stronger language on forced 6th punches. This company is getting away with absolute murder by flagrantly exploiting this and forcing guys in on their day off every single week for years now without consequence. And because the bottom of the 22.4s list keeps turning over, it’s always the same guys working 6 days a week. For low seniority RPCDs, it is effectively a year-round peak season. Our building in particular forces guys in regardless of remaining hours, pushing many of us as close to 60 hours as possible, week after week. That’s right, even if you have under 10 minutes remaining for the whole week, you are required to report to work on time and in uniform on your day off so you can stand around for a few minutes and go home.

This is abusive, and our local just lets it happen.
If they force me to come in on Saturday for only 15 min I will enforce my right to my 8 hour guarantee and sit there all day being paid.

542thruNthru

Get a life.
Lol, back in 2020 they were doing the same thing here. My steward who only had 30 min available told everyone that if they showed up and demanded their 8 he'd buy them pizza for lunch.

8 people sat around getting paid and ate pizza two weeks in a row. After that the company quickly decided anyone under 6 hours didn't need to show up.

This company only pays attention when it hits them in the pocket book.

Also for someone that could have retired many years ago should probably take his own advice and get a life.

tourists24

I was talking to one of the people who is going to be on the negotiating committee for the master agreement next year and he said for right now the biggest item is getting rid of the 22.4 position. Obviously there is a long way before talks start.

TeltBender

Well then if they don't feel they're getting a fair deal, they need to vote it down.
Or go to a union meeting once in a while??
Problem is the union doesn’t even attempt to try to get part timer involvement. Most part timers don’t know what the union does for them besides take dues. But the second someone goes fulltime, the union makes them aware of everything.

Problem is the union doesn’t even attempt to try to get part timer involvement. Most part timers don’t know what the union does for them besides take dues. But the second someone goes fulltime, the union makes them aware of everything.
Let's not necessarily true.
We have a few very active part-timers.
The only problem is they cannot get the other part-timers to go to a meeting or even care about the Union.

But you're correct some things do need to change

TeltBender

Let's not necessarily true.
We have a few very active part-timers.
The only problem is they cannot get the other part-timers to go to a meeting or even care about the Union.

But you're correct some things do need to change
Agreed, the company isn’t going to say a word about the union during orientation, it is up to other union itself to get people involved. I’d support adding some sort of language that requires the company to have union reps explain rights to new hires during their orientation.

Agreed, the company isn’t going to say a word about the union during orientation, it is up to other union itself to get people involved. I’d support adding some sort of language that requires the company to have union reps explain rights to new hires during their orientation.
You don't want anything to do the company and the Union
Because the company will lie to you.

Hot Carl

What article of the contract says that ?
It was an agreement our local made at state panel. Previously, they could only force us in if we had 8 or more hours left, but we got a little too good at that game. Enough guys higher up on the seniority list raised a stink so we "won" our grievance at state panel and now we get to have every single weekend ruined by this company.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

How do you like that, I only had to read 5 pages into the present contract to find exactly what you suggested.

Screenshot_20220703-115814_Office.jpg

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Lol, back in 2020 they were doing the same thing here. My steward who only had 30 min available told everyone that if they showed up and demanded their 8 he'd buy them pizza for lunch.

8 people sat around getting paid and ate pizza two weeks in a row
. After that the company quickly decided anyone under 6 hours didn't need to show up.

This company only pays attention when it hits them in the pocket book.

Also for someone that could have retired many years ago should probably take his own advice and get a life.
tenor.gif

god bless your steward, i despise that kind of lazy inefficiency

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
see “require”
So you believe there should be language that:

"requires" the company to have union reps explain rights to new hires during their orientation.

not just make the opportunity available as it is presently.

I am curious what the remedy would be for failure to comply with unique language?

The Range

In too deep
Teamsters have failed to negotiate a contract for part-timers that outpaces the minimum wage. Here, new hires make the same as part-timers with over a decade of time at UPS. It isn't a good look.

Teamsters have failed to negotiate a contract for part-timers that outpaces the minimum wage. Here, new hires make the same as part-timers with over a decade of time at UPS. It isn't a good look.
For many decades it was stuck at $8 an hour with no raise negotiated for future years.
But unfortunately the part-timers in most cases do not vote so the raises went to the people that do vote.

The Range

In too deep
For many decades it was stuck at $8 an hour with no raise negotiated for future years.
But unfortunately the part-timers in most cases do not vote so the raises went to the people that do vote.
And they never will vote because the majority of part-timers are young kids passing through. Both sides know it. The union does nothing to educate them so, in effect, UPS has successfully busted the teamsters going forward. It's an ugly situation for the many part-timers who vested time while often holding other full-time jobs. They are hostages. I would advise them to leave the union immediately and save the dues money. The teamsters do not deserve it.