2023 contract

FozziesDeliveries

Problem is the union doesn’t even attempt to try to get part timer involvement. Most part timers don’t know what the union does for them besides take dues. But the second someone goes fulltime, the union makes them aware of everything.

When i started with this company i started in unload/preload. I had no idea that i was officially hired. I had no idea what the union did or what it meant. I didn't know anything about the contracts, who or what a steward was or any of my rights or anything. I did not know when i would get my benefits ect ect. I had to keep asking people questions as i thought of them and figure out who was the correct person to ask. I remember filling out a union application but that was it. After a few months i asked my manager if i was actually hired or if i was a seasonal and she was like "you are hired, no one ever told you!?!?!" No. Not told i was hired/retained whatever. Never handed a contract book or explained anything. And my dues and union fee were not being taken out for months. I had to call the union hall a few times to tell them.

There definately needs to be more outreach to memebrs in general but especially to part timers. I have been trying to educate myself better on the contract and others when i can but there feels like a disconnect from the local. It doesn't help our union hall is 30 min from our building and the meetings are at 6. I am a driver now, our first start time is 920... if we have an honored 8 hour request then MAYBE we could make a meeting on time.

And they never will vote because the majority of part-timers are young kids passing through. Both sides know it. The union does nothing to educate them so, in effect, UPS has successfully busted the teamsters going forward. It's an ugly situation for the many part-timers who vested time while often holding other full-time jobs. They are hostages. I would advise them to leave the union immediately and save the dues money. The teamsters do not deserve it.
I can understand your anger .
They should definitely be making more money but they do not realize how much the benefit package is worth.

Unfortunately this isn't the premium job that it used to be for a part-time.
Back when I started you just wanted to get your foot in the door so you could advance to being a full-time driver.

The Range

In too deep
Pointing out the benefits package is a distraction. The bottom line is an employee with a year in gets the same benefits package and the same pay rate as someone with 10 years. If you're a part-timer with a decent work ethic, you're better off leaving the union and banking the dues money.

Pointing out the benefits package is a distraction. The bottom line is an employee with a year in gets the same benefits package and the same pay rate as someone with 10 years. If you're a part-timer with a decent work ethic, you're better off leaving the union and banking the dues money.
Have you seen these new kids?

A good work ethic is coming to work 3 days a week and only being late twice a week

The Range

In too deep
Have you seen these new kids?

A good work ethic is coming to work 3 days a week and only being late twice a week
Coming in 3 days a week and being late every day is perfectly acceptable to management if you push work quick enough. Filing a grievance is the most efficient way to put a target on your back and because the teamsters neglect education, you'll be on an island alone when filing. Show up 3 days a week, work well when you're there, don't file grievances, and don't pay dues. This is a winning formula for part-time. The teamsters = taxation without representation.

Coming in 3 days a week and being late every day is perfectly acceptable to management if you push work quick enough. Filing a grievance is the most efficient way to put a target on your back and because the teamsters neglect education, you'll be on an island alone when filing. Show up 3 days a week, work well when you're there, don't file grievances, and don't pay dues. This is a winning formula for part-time. The teamsters = taxation without representation.
Are you want to give up your pension and healthcare and pay time off for that?

The Range

In too deep
Are you want to give up your pension and healthcare and pay time off for that?

And that is the misdirection. The teamsters cite the few waning positives to remind us just how good we have it while they actively screw you over. Classic abusive relationship. Our pension is propped up because of piss poor management. You'll have a more secure retirement by investing your union dues early. Ask the 13-year part-timer who makes the same as someone walking in the door how they feel about the teamsters. "Hey, at least you get paid time off - don't complain!"

The Range

In too deep
When i started with this company i started in unload/preload. I had no idea that i was officially hired. I had no idea what the union did or what it meant. I didn't know anything about the contracts, who or what a steward was or any of my rights or anything. I did not know when i would get my benefits ect ect. I had to keep asking people questions as i thought of them and figure out who was the correct person to ask. I remember filling out a union application but that was it. After a few months i asked my manager if i was actually hired or if i was a seasonal and she was like "you are hired, no one ever told you!?!?!" No. Not told i was hired/retained whatever. Never handed a contract book or explained anything. And my dues and union fee were not being taken out for months. I had to call the union hall a few times to tell them.

There definately needs to be more outreach to memebrs in general but especially to part timers. I have been trying to educate myself better on the contract and others when i can but there feels like a disconnect from the local. It doesn't help our union hall is 30 min from our building and the meetings are at 6. I am a driver now, our first start time is 920... if we have an honored 8 hour request then MAYBE we could make a meeting on time.

It's all by design my friend. I recall when I first started having to beg and plead for a contract. They were allegedly out of print. How did I get one? Called out my local president on this site. A few days later I received a phone call and the contract suddenly became available. The union wants an uneducated, revolving part-time base with little voting power. The demoralization is key because it can be spun into focusing blame on part-timers for lack of participation. It worked well in the last contract as the teamsters can nullify all votes for lack of participation.

Last edited:
And that is the misdirection. The teamsters cite the few waning positives to remind us just how good we have it while they actively screw you over. Classic abusive relationship. Our pension is propped up because of piss poor management. You'll have a more secure retirement by investing your union dues early. Ask the 13-year part-timer who makes the same as someone walking in the door how they feel about the teamsters. "Hey, at least you get paid time off - don't complain!"
And a 13 year part-timer is guaranteed at least the 700-800 month pension

Everybody's looking at now but they do not worry about tomorrow. Trust me tomorrow comes quicker than you know

The Range

In too deep
And a 13 year part-timer is guaranteed at least the 700-800 month pension

Everybody's looking at now but they do not worry about tomorrow. Trust me tomorrow comes quicker than you know
Who cares about tomorrow when you can't eat today. The union can only do mental gymnastics reminding you of what they did decades ago. Today, the reality is they have neglected tenured part-timers in an embarrassing fashion. Supporting that type of org while they can only remind you of the few positives is for fools. The last contract was a disaster in a good economy. Our hopes are now with the Boston bully in a bad economy. We're so deep in the hole, that a miracle contract in our favor wouldn't get us to baseline.

The Range

In too deep
That is because the union got beat so badly at the negotiation table--on the best contract ever-- the company was forced to give part-timers more money on their own during this CBA. When the company wanted to get rid of those union employees, to bump a sagging stock price, they took it away. So now the company has a tool that is beyond the reach of the union CBA for hiring and essentially firing.

Digest that one: the company, on its own, felt a union negotiated wage was too low to be a starting part-time salary. And new employees think the union is worthless to protect their salaries--or at the very least negotiate competitive ones.

Good post - new and long-tenured part-timers received a raise from the company that is greater than what the union negotiated. No part-timer wants to sign full-time bids because they will cede their MRA wages and eat a pay cut during their union-negotiated 4-year progression. The state of the union is crystal clear.

Last edited:

upser2020

If I could get a full time inside inside I'd jump on it. 4 years then making 32ish an hour. Seems worth it in the long run. I'm sure it's going to take me a while to get an inside inside combo but I just keep doing doubles until my seniority is high enough: )

The Range

In too deep
If I could get a full time inside inside I'd jump on it. 4 years then making 32ish an hour. Seems worth it in the long run. I'm sure it's going to take me a while to get an inside inside combo but I just keep doing doubles until my seniority is high enough: )
You're better off working UPS PT and signing up for trade classes in another union. 32/hour after a 4-year progression + your PT years is not a good rate. This economy has revealed a lot.

Who cares about tomorrow when you can't eat today. The union can only do mental gymnastics reminding you of what they did decades ago. Today, the reality is they have neglected tenured part-timers in an embarrassing fashion. Supporting that type of org while they can only remind you of the few positives is for fools. The last contract was a disaster in a good economy. Our hopes are now with the Boston bully in a bad economy. We're so deep in the hole, that a miracle contract in our favor wouldn't get us to baseline.
If you want a job for just pure cash is a part-timer this is not the place for you.
If you want to work this job to have a future security then this is a job for you

The Range

In too deep
If you want a job for just pure cash is a part-timer this is not the place for you.
If you want to work this job to have a future security then this is a job for you
None of what you're preaching has anything to do with the union failing to address part-time wages to the point the company decided a pay increase outside of the contract was necessary for new hires. It's reasonable to expect future security + wages that outpace the minimum. Is this how you usually speak to tenured part-timers? Guys, you're getting screwed but at least you have health benefits and a pension. When the pension disappears, at least you have health benefits. I think it's a silly PoV and part of the shell game I see many old guards playing.

None of what you're preaching has anything to do with the union failing to address part-time wages to the point the company decided a pay increase outside of the contract was necessary for new hires. It's reasonable to expect future security + wages that outpace the minimum. Is this how you usually speak to tenured part-timers? Guys, you're getting screwed but at least you have health benefits and a pension. When the pension disappears, at least you have health benefits. Weird PoV
I'm not going to argue with you you believe what you want.
Yes I believe the part-timers should make some more money but on the other hand did not realize the cost of the benefits.

I'm tired of beating my head off the sidewalk trying to tell you people about this.

If you want to go driving this part-time job is not going to support you and your family.

So man up put your brown uniform on and go driving or please shut the hell up cuz I seriously had enough of this crap

The Range

In too deep
I'm not going to argue with you you believe what you want.
Yes I believe the part-timers should make some more money but on the other hand did not realize the cost of the benefits.

I'm tired of beating my head off the sidewalk trying to tell you people about this.

If you want to go driving this part-time job is not going to support you and your family.

So man up put your brown uniform on and go driving or please shut the hell up cuz I seriously had enough of this crap
The disdain the full-timers hold for part-timers is palpable. You're angry because tenured part-timers expect health care + pension + competitive wages? If you think they should "make some more money", then stop making excuses for the union's failure. This type of part-time work shouldn't make you rich, but you shouldn't remain stagnant in wages for over a decade. You sound like a trained company monkey trying to elaborate on how good part-timers have it. 'Man up and drive or enjoy your piss poor wages!'

Exactly why people should give the finger to the teamsters. The company and union set up multiple tiers of wages. Each tier up can only remind the one below how good they have it. It's beyond comical. Decoupling part-time and full-time wages was a grand mistake. I think full-timers should make the same MRA adjusted $21/hour as new hires and 10-year part-timers because after all, they get pension and health insurance. Have you seen how much that's worth? It's huge!

Last edited:
The disdain the full-timers hold for part-timers is palpable. You're angry because tenured part-timers expect health care + pension + competitive wages? If you think they should "make some more money", then stop making excuses for the union's failure. This type of part-time work shouldn't make you rich, but you shouldn't remain stagnant in wages for over a decade. You sound like a trained company monkey trying to elaborate on how good part-timers have it. 'Man up and drive or enjoy your piss poor wages!'

Exactly why people should give the finger to the teamsters. The company and union set up multiple tiers of wages. Each tier up can only remind the one below how good they have it. It's beyond comical. Decoupling part-time and full-time wages was a grand mistake. I think full-timers should make the same MRA adjusted $21/hour as new hires and 10-year part-timers because after all, they get pension and health insurance. Have you seen how much that's worth? It's huge!
I will tell you this.
Go get a part-time job for a non-union company and see exactly what you get.

You have a part-time job it's not designed to support a family

Dear Lord give me strength

The Range

In too deep
I will tell you this.
Go get a part-time job for a non-union company and see exactly what you get.

You have a part-time job it's not designed to support a family

Dear Lord give me strength
You're spinning your wheels. Never did I say a part-time job of this type should support a family. Many of the long-tenured part-timers hold other full-time or part-time jobs. They are the ones that have been screwed by the teamsters. You're never winning an argument when your position necessitates reminding people how good they have it while actively screwing them over. It seems to me the full-timers have filled their tummies and still want to take more of the cake.

I am not sure what you're arguing. On one hand, you claim part-timers should make more but you just can't stop reminding me how good the benefits package is and to go full-time if I don't like what you're feeding me.