2023 contract

Its_a_me

I think all part timers should share the same wage that’s the point of a union. Perhaps there would be a small progression. But after that everyone should make the same wage.
Good luck getting people living in SF, Washington DC, Seattle, NYC, LA, and Chicago to agree on what a fair wage is with people in Hickville, USA. That is why there are regional differences. If you scale it to Hicksville...no one will work in those places where cost of living is more. And conversely, you would have lines of applicants out the door for Hicksville if you made the SF wage the wage there.

Beyond that I started at 8.50 an hour. Does that mean the company goes back and supplements me for what I started at? I knowingly took less to start because there wasn't a cap on what I could make. If you cap it, I wouldn't have wasted those years at less.

Its_a_me

Somehow he believes we don’t care about part-timers I was a part timer so were you. My heart is with them I worked my way up. This job is a path to upper middle class even today.
No, its not. The competition will drive this job down a little bit by year (they work for a larger company and get paid less as they are non-unionized and work Sundays). Automated technology will take another even larger bite. Those in their late 30's and older might be safe--but those in their 20's know it. It's part of the reason why sign up sheets for drivers go unfilled.

There are plenty of once great union jobs that simply don't exist anymore: or are in such low numbers that only a few get them. Maybe you didn't notice all those newspaper union jobs like printing press operators that disappeared. Don't like that example think of cabbies and how Lyft and Uber has cut into their business. Or the UAW and their numbers pre- and -post robotics days. UPS drivers in the future will be paid less and probably be considered automated drivers helpers by then.

No, its not. The competition will drive this job down a little bit by year (they work for a larger company and get paid less as they are non-unionized and work Sundays). Automated technology will take another even larger bite. Those in their late 30's and older might be safe--but those in their 20's know it. It's part of the reason why sign up sheets for drivers go unfilled.

There are plenty of once great union jobs that simply don't exist anymore: or are in such low numbers that only a few get them. Maybe you didn't notice all those newspaper union jobs like printing press operators that disappeared. Don't like that example think of cabbies and how Lyft and Uber has cut into their business. Or the UAW and their numbers pre- and -post robotics days. UPS drivers in the future will be paid less and probably be considered automated drivers helpers by then.
Okay

Its_a_me

I'm not going to argue with you you believe what you want.
Yes I believe the part-timers should make some more money but on the other hand did not realize the cost of the benefits.

I'm tired of beating my head off the sidewalk trying to tell you people about this.

If you want to go driving this part-time job is not going to support you and your family.

So man up put your brown uniform on and go driving or please shut the hell up cuz I seriously had enough of this crap
...and what you don't realize that for the 18-26 yr olds those health benefits are all but meaningless. Young adults can stay on their parent’s plan until 26. Those under 26 would qualify for Medicaid if they worked only at UPS part-time and the insurance coverage went away as they would be low income employed. And for the few that killed themselves with OT to not qualify for Medicaid: they would get Obamacare subsidies to purchase the health insurance at a much lower cost.

It's almost as worthless as offering tuition reimbursement to the high school dropout.

(In general) The only people that are applying these days (and staying PT) are those with families (or single people with known medical problems). The job has to offer benefits to get them (30-50 years olds in my building) as those 18-26 year olds avoid this job or work it for one summer and are never heard from again. Those that actually come simply ghost and are no call no shows until the job gets posted again.

The union got its @ $ $ kicked at the negotiating table when it comes to part timers. They had to pay more in salary while maintaining the same benefits without an union involvement. It wasn't you make X dollars in benefits we are going to take a little of that away and give you more cash. It was we need to pay more cash or no one will show up for this union negotiated job.

That pretty much negates having a union. If the company took away the benefits they would lose their present workforce--and they are already having trouble hiring with those benefits included. So I don't get why you don't understand why the would have to maintain the benefits and bump the salary too.

...and what you don't realize that for the 18-26 yr olds those health benefits are all but meaningless. Young adults can stay on their parent’s plan until 26. Those under 26 would qualify for Medicaid if they worked only at UPS part-time and the insurance coverage went away as they would be low income employed. And for the few that killed themselves with OT to not qualify for Medicaid: they would get Obamacare subsidies to purchase the health insurance at a much lower cost.

It's almost as worthless as offering tuition reimbursement to the high school dropout.

(In general) The only people that are applying these days (and staying PT) are those with families (or single people with known medical problems). The job has to offer benefits to get them (30-50 years olds in my building) as those 18-26 year olds avoid this job or work it for one summer and are never heard from again. Those that actually come simply ghost and are no call no shows until the job gets posted again.

The union got its @ $ $ kicked at the negotiating table when it comes to part timers. They had to pay more in salary while maintaining the same benefits without an union involvement. It wasn't you make X dollars in benefits we are going to take a little of that away and give you more cash. It was we need to pay more cash or no one will show up for this union negotiated job.

That pretty much negates having a union. If the company took away the benefits they would lose their present workforce--and they are already having trouble hiring with those benefits included. So I don't get why you don't understand why the would have to maintain the benefits and bump the salary too.
I really do not think you know how much benefits cost

Benefits don't mean nothing to you can go somewhere else.
. This younger generation makes me sick right now and not willing to work for it

Thebrownblob

Not anymore
Only if people are not willing to work. We have an ace in the hole most do not we have a union that has to fight for us.

lol
We are or not newspaper delivery. The only way we get paid less is if we back down. And the reason job don’t get filled most kids don’t wanna work And the reason job don’t get filled most kids don’t wanna work A physical job. They see Youtubers and tick-tock or‘s making millions and think they can do that. Job gratification at UPS is certainly much slower than that. Not too many jobs work a person can make between 90 and $145,000 a year. Full benefits Up to seven weeks of vacation paid holidays and a pension. Sorry gig work does not come close to what we have. And we will continue to have it if we are ready to demand it and fight for it. Been that way since I’ve worked here for 30 years.

Only if people are not willing to work. We have an ace in the hole most do not we have a union that has to fight for us.

lol
We are or not newspaper delivery. The only way we get paid less is if we back down. And the reason job don’t get filled most kids don’t wanna work And the reason job don’t get filled most kids don’t wanna work A physical job. They see Youtubers and tick-tock or‘s making millions and think they can do that. Job gratification at UPS is certainly much slower than that. Not too many jobs work a person can make between 90 and $145,000 a year. Full benefits Up to seven weeks of vacation paid holidays and a pension. Sorry gig work does not come close to what we have. And we will continue to have it if we are ready to demand it and fight for it. Been that way since I’ve worked here for 30 years.
He has a better chance of being an astronaut before he becomes an RPCD

But seriously it's a part-time job it's not designed to support your family.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Unfortunately that doesn't happen anymore

And I doubt any of the new employees have actually went down in Union Hall to get sworn in
Still waiting for my local to send me 411 about the swearing in meeting its been about 14 months.Same with my union card, been waiting for the local to mail it 15 months. I check the mailbox everyday for it.

Thebrownblob

We had electronic loading last time
And it really is not bring up the voting percentage by that much
True but this is where our generation and the up-and-coming generation need to merge. Nothing wrong with us moving a little high tech. All we can do is lead them to the water it’s up to them to drink, (vote)
Every YouTube channel every Reddit, and every person you talk to says they’re going to vote. No more excuses it’s time to :censored2: or get off the pot the 2/3 rule is gone. Straight up yes or no. And I believe we have an administration that will push very hard for a quality agreement or they will recommend a no vote theirselves.