22.3 bidding procedure in central states

I'm a part timer for 16 years. A 22.3 job that in tales small sorter/car wash. The job was given to a full time driver with less than 2 years over my 16 part time years. The union president and building believe that it goes classification, ft, pt. In article 3 section 8 it states after classification it is open to all employees. This to me is considered a hub job so article 3 section 10 does not apply to this job. Any thoughts? I have filed just looking for any extra thoughts that might help at hearing.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Newly created job, or existing job?

In this area [my only point of reference] existing jobs can be bid by seniority FT. The bid will say "this job can be bid by FT only". After the a,b,c bids, the fourth move goes up for bid to PT. Newly created, or 4th move jobs go to PT'ers.
Every region is different, though.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
SECTION 3. JOB OPENINGS
Newly created and/or vacancies in 22.2 and 22.3 jobs will be open to
classification first per Article 3.8 using only full-time seniority. If not
filled, the job will be open to all full-time and part-time employees within
the building and awarded using a combination of full-time seniority
and 50% of part-time seniority date. (i.e. employee has eleven (11) years
seniority, the part time employee would receive five and one half (5 ½)
years of seniority

Did not say anything on the bid sheet beside what the hours are and jobs. The union president is on the mgt side. My thing is that in local 243 which is a rider out of Detroit mi. changed the language to have part time years count as half's bc part timers were winning bids and full timers didn't like it( According to the president of that local). They are also in the central states

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

After classification, it is then open to all full time employees.

See Article 3 Section 8

Qualified full-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority may select permanent vacancies and new permanent jobs as provided for in this Article

If no full time employee bids it, then it goes to part time.

A full time employee with 1 day seniority trumps your 16 years part time...sorry, unless talking about lay offs.

This is my first grievance and it's already been 2 months and still have not had a hearing. The union president is acting like I have no shot and seem like he is in no rush to have a hearing. So I have been doing all the work.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
This is my first grievance and it's already been 2 months and still have not had a hearing. The union president is acting like I have no shot and seem like he is in no rush to have a hearing. So I have been doing all the work.

He is right.

You have no shot of winning this grievance.

Question then? What if 2 drivers bid on the job and one has 5 years part time and 10 years full time and the other has 1 year part time and 11 years full time. Who wins bid?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
After classification, it is then open to all full time employees.

See Article 3 Section 8

Qualified full-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority may select permanent vacancies and new permanent jobs as provided for in this Article

If no full time employee bids it, then it goes to part time.

A full time employee with 1 day seniority trumps your 16 years part time...sorry, unless talking about lay offs.

Yep.

If it's a newly created 22.3 job.... then it would got to the part-timers first.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Question then? What if 2 drivers bid on the job and one has 5 years part time and 10 years full time and the other has 1 year part time and 11 years full time. Who wins bid?

11 years full time.

Only full time seniority counts, unless talking about lay offs.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Bidding goes by classification and then company seniority.

Classification, then full time Company seniority, for a full time job.

You are part time. Your 16 years only comes into play if no full timers bid the job.

It then goes to part timers, by part time seniority.

A full time driver is not a qualified full time employee. You have to have did the job within in the last 18 months article 3 section 5 to be qualified. So technically it is open to everyone if you are not in the classification. I'm just looking for anything that makes the language in contract open so they have to go by company seniority. I do appreciate everyone's help, I wouldn't be trying so hard if it wasn't for the perfect hours and obviously the better pension.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
A full time driver is not a qualified full time employee.

What ?

You have to have did the job within in the last 18 months article 3 section 5 to be qualified.

Dude....

That's layoff language.

It has nothing to do with bidding a job.

Section 5—Full-time Employees

"In the event of a layoff of a full-time employee, he/she shall have the right to displace the least senior full-time employee in any classification, for which they were previously qualified, to remain in his/her center. Previously qualified is defined as having regularly performed said work sometime during the previous eighteen (18) months."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18centralregionsupp.pdf

-Bug-

What ?

Dude....

That's layoff language.

It has nothing to do with bidding a job.

Section 5—Full-time Employees

"In the event of a layoff of a full-time employee, he/she shall have the right to displace the least senior full-time employee in any classification, for which they were previously qualified, to remain in his/her center. Previously qualified is defined as having regularly performed said work sometime during the previous eighteen (18) months."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18centralregionsupp.pdf

-Bug-
When I think I seen it all....

542thruNthru

A full time driver is not a qualified full time employee. You have to have did the job within in the last 18 months article 3 section 5 to be qualified. So technically it is open to everyone if you are not in the classification. I'm just looking for anything that makes the language in contract open so they have to go by company seniority. I do appreciate everyone's help, I wouldn't be trying so hard if it wasn't for the perfect hours and obviously the better pension.

16 years PT. Go FT and you won't have this problem next time. Sorry but there is nothing in the contract that's going to help you. He has the right to the job before you.