22.3 Can they change my hours?

brownrodster

This job was not put up for bid, and I was actually only given 48 hours notice to report tomy new hours. My old hours wer 4am-12 and my new hours would be 11pm to 7am. They claim there is no air work for me and they have to change my shift.

LOL. No air work? I'm sure there are plenty of drivers who would let you take some of their NDA's.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
They are trying this same garbage with me.
Telling me that I will have to cover another's 22.3 job, { which starts 5.5 hours later } and not informing me that my own 22.3 has been killed. I'm the most senior 22.3 ( year 1 ).
I talked to my steward , who contacted the BA and have been told that they can not force me . On tues mgt told me that I could bump someone and when I told them which job I wanted , they said that they would be changing that position's start time from noon to 4pm. { the contract states that when your job is killed , they have to provide a job at the same start time. And job start times can only be changed by 1 hr. } So I can't wait to see what BS is thrown at me on weds.

Red Dawn

I like to refer to our grievance machinery as the great grievance pinball machine. All the little flippers and such are the panels, the pin balls are the grievances, and the little hole where the balls disappear is where I think some of these grievances end up. Basically grievances are constantly moving up and down the ladder when it comes to the panels. We have grievances over a year old that are constantly getting deadlocked till they reach a high enough level panel, then they get referred back to a lower level panel. Between each movement it takes a couple months before the grievance is even heard and then an answer is never given as its always deadlocked or referred to a lower level. Good luck with your case, just don't expect an answer anytime soon.

This is exactly what is happening to combos at dfw hub! We have been on back burner since February. 120 combos still w/o answers. company only allowing combos to work on sunrise and twilight. We can not work noonday shift because we would still have combos. Saw that not one of our grievance was at national panel.

brett636

This is exactly what is happening to combos at dfw hub! We have been on back burner since February. 120 combos still w/o answers. company only allowing combos to work on sunrise and twilight. We can not work noonday shift because we would still have combos. Saw that not one of our grievance was at national panel.

If they are screwing around with your grievances there like they are here then I would not expect your grievances to see the national panel for a long time, if ever. Basically, all grievances filed on something that could potentially cost the company will go up the panel ladder (local level hearing, local panel, then JAC), but when they reach the JAC(which can take 3-5 months) it gets referred back to the local panel. When the local panel hears it again they refer it back to the local level hearing. When it gets a local level hearing, basically a meeting between our BA and the managers involved, they refuse to do anything about it and it goes back up the ladder to the local level panel where it could get deadlocked again or referred back to a local level hearing. Simple grievances that should be easy wins for the union are getting bounced around with no answer, and I don't blame just the company in this one. The union also has to agree to constantly refer these grievances back to a lower level. For whatever reason they are playing the game with the company, and I wish I knew why.

Next contract this grievance machinery needs to be addressed and a better system setup so grievances get answers. All we want is a yes or no answer, but that doesn't sound like its coming anytime soon.

corwin

that happen in my center in ohio. the company eliminated three 22.3 jobs and forces 2 people back into driving and one has to qualify for driving. the company said the job are being moved to another building and the contract only said to create the jobs not that every building get jobs.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
It would be really nice if maybe the IBT in there nice monthy magazine would have someone(s) audit the company and publish the number of 22.3 jobs that are actually filled and where they exist(locations). It would only take a couple of pages ,maybe in the back.
Silly optomistic me daydreaming again.

QKRSTKR

YOU MUST BE VERY INVOLVED IN YOUR CENTER :greedy:20 YEARS. YOU ARE ASKING ON THIS SITE THATS BEEN AROUND FOR 10 YEARS.WhERE HAVE YOU BEEN UNDER A ROCK. YOU SHOULD Know answer to that. And guiding the younger guys and women in your center to keep it going. you were just out for you / good job I hope they put you on midnight shift..

Exactly right. Get a freaking copy of the contract and read for yourself. I personally don't know 22.3 job info., cause I am not a combo person. If I was, I would know all the language line by line.

And as far as why things get bounced back and forth between local, state, JAC back to local, if they don't agree at the highest level to resolve or send it back, what's left. Hello! anyone? I'll spell it out better.

If the top brass for the company at the highest level of hearings and the top union people don't agree on something, what happens? :whiteflag:

The Union would have the right to?

The Company would have the right to?

Take a shot!

QKRSTKR

This is out of the Central States Supp.

If any grievance or dispute cannot be satisfactorily settled by a majority decision of the panel and the UPS JAC then the grievance shall be submitted the the UPS VP of Labor Relations, or designee, and the Intl. Director of the Central Region of Teamsters, or designee.

Following due and proper notice given to the parties to appear and present their case, it is agreed that they are empowered to hear and decide the deadlocked case even if only one of the parties submits it to them, or, if one of the parties fails to appear at the hearing to present evidence. They shall have the authority to apply the provisions of this Agreement and to render a decision on any grievance coming before them, but shall not have authority to amend or modify this Agreement or establish new terms and conditions under the Agreement. Their decison shall be final and binding on all parties and employees involved. IF THEY ARE UNABLE TO AGREE, EITHER PARTY SHALL BE PERMITTED ALL LEAGAL AND ECONOMIC RECOURSE, INCLUDING THE RIGHT OF THE UNION TO STRIKE AND THE RIGHT OF THE EMPLOYER TO LOCK OUT.

Cases which are deadlocked by the final step of the JAC may, by majority vote, be referred to the National Grievance Committee.

So maybe before saying "why do we even pay union dues":sad-very: you should understand the process.

Dark_Team_135

The way I understand it, the right to strike is in very few regional agreements when grievances are deadlocked at that level. Too bad we don't at least threaten to use it more often (I am in the Central Region and have had a case heard before the Deadlock Committee - Dick Turner for UPS and Dave Robinson for the Teamsters).

Maybe then, we could actually see some grievance settlements in our favor...