22.4 vs TCD Question (hub vet)

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Cover rate in southern supplement is 85% of top rate which is 32.69 now. If u get qualified, you get red circled and keep that rate when u go 22.4. If you go 22.4 first, your starting rate will be 20.50.
That’s what I did to get into feeders. I was cover for 10 months but got red circled at the cover rate when I went full time. I took the job because I knew it was only a matter of time before they gave me FT. We did, and still do, need at least 100 more drivers so there was no real risk of getting kicked back to the hub.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Well you need to think of it this way
Do you want to work?
Or struggle to get 8 hours a day doing 2 different positions

Shift 2

Question for you. Do you think 22.4s have cut the wait time to go FT where you are?

I ask because it's drastically cut the wait to go FT here. Just wonder if it's the same in other areas.
Honestly. No I don’t. After 2013 2014 they were flipping people from part time to full time like crazy already. It may have helped a slight bit because of how many more positions they had to make but, they could have just made all new rpcd positions. The 22.4s in my area haven’t been in the building since the job was created.

Son of ORION

Another thing is as a TCD you don’t have 40 hours guarantee and they can cut you out any day with no reason ….take the 22.4 position and sign a bid list to become a RPCD as soon as you can

JustDeliverIt

Question for you. Do you think 22.4s have cut the wait time to go FT where you are?

I ask because it's drastically cut the wait to go FT here. Just wonder if it's the same in other areas.

I went FT in package almost 4 years ago now after 10.5 years PT and that was considered good. Average was about 12 years here. The last group of 22.4's they hired 4 months ago, lowest one had 8 months in. They also bumped some 22.4's to RPCD's already, lowest one at about 2 years in total.

I think the extra 22.4 spots help, the real issue is the high turnover. When I was hired (mid 2000's) people were still sticking around as a PTer inside. If you look at the PT seniority list now, starting around 2012/13, seems like there are only a few names (15 or so) remaining for every year. No one stays, so no one is here with time in to take the FT slots. Those who do stay already have another job or set life, not going to bother with the driving BS. Just my opinion.

542thruNthru

I went FT in package almost 4 years ago now after 10.5 years PT and that was considered good. Average was about 12 years here. The last group of 22.4's they hired 4 months ago, lowest one had 8 months in. They also bumped some 22.4's to RPCD's already, lowest one at about 2 years in total.

I think the extra 22.4 spots help, the real issue is the high turnover. When I was hired (mid 2000's) people were still sticking around as a PTer inside. If you look at the PT seniority list now, starting around 2012/13, seems like there are only a few names (15 or so) remaining for every year. No one stays, so no one is here with time in to take the FT slots. Those who do stay already have another job or set life, not going to bother with the driving BS. Just my opinion.
Is it that they don't stay or that the high seniority people were already picked up FT and the rest don't want to go full time? That seems to be the way it is here.

What I've noticed is the FT 22.4s that have less than 2 years seem to quit quickly because they didn't go through the years of waiting and already knowing what the job really is.

JustDeliverIt

Is it that they don't stay or that the high seniority people were already picked up FT and the rest don't want to go full time? That seems to be the way it is here.

What I've noticed is the FT 22.4s that have less than 2 years seem to quit quickly because they didn't go through the years of waiting and already knowing what the job really is.

Our 22.4's seem to be sticking around. Our local BA has told me that in the next 2 to 3 years the top 30% of our drivers are eligible to retire. Guess we had a big hiring boom in the early 90's, going to have people moving up quick here for a little bit. Seems like a few guys a month are retiring, used to be only a few a year.

Yeah, a lot of the higher seniority PTers are not going FT. They are either hoping a FT insdie job opens up for them (a 22.3 still takes about 20 years here and we don't have that many) or are just content with what they're doing. If the fresh meat can take a PT shift for 6 months or so they will probably get the 22.4 spot.