25 years old, am I too old to do this?

Ghost in the Darkness

and does everyone get enough sleep a night?

The more tired you are the more money you will make. The job itself is great, I still enjoy it. Its the idiots who pretend to run things are what can make your days miserable. I stay out of trouble and off their reports but its just the incompetance and lack of common sense... its just astounding. It really does wear on you. A lot of dead weight in management, people showing up for the paycheck and doing very little to earn it. Here is a tip, make it a habit of not communicating with them with your phone... it will drive them crazy and you will enjoy it.

J92

I'm interested in becoming a delivery driver despite everyone telling me to run away.
I know that I'm gonna have to wait in line in order to obtain a spot. I'm located in Northern California if that matters. I've done a couple years of construction and am able bodied. I can work hard.

At what age did you guys start?
How long can I do this for?
What is the pension like?
Is working outdoors driving and delivering things as fun as it sounds?
How stressful is this job and does everyone get enough sleep a night? Assuming there's some time left in the day after work...

Edit: I mean....am I too old to get into this and make a career out of it? How many years can I expect to squeeze out of this?

I was never a driver but I can tell you what I heard. You should aim to get your DOT done (do your 30) since it will give you something to leverage on top of you waiting in line. As far as pension goes, I think they are going away or being limited rapidly. From what I heard from other drivers, they enjoy working outdoors and delivering packages unless the customer is a pain. I'm sure it gets stressful during peak. Aside from driving, usually extra hours are given by seniority so you should get plenty of sleep unless mandatory requirement. As far as being too old, I don't think so but I would have a game plan as to moving up on the wait list. Maybe try a different center/location, get experienced doing car wash, mechanic work, or something that puts you in driving the package car, etc. Time-frame depends on your performance and you letting the right people know your interested. Don't just reach out to your preload sup., it will get you nowhere. Get a hold of a center manager and ask him where he or she needs help (which center) with drivers and what you need to do to get the job.