3-day rides ramping up in our division

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
The way I read the contract, one day rides are all that is allowed.

Anybody else read it that way?
All I know is if they attempt to ride with me more than once per year I'm filing harassment. The hot new term in mgmt right now is "methods ride". Nothing but a production ride. Pampered dispatch. Perfectly groomed load. Whatever, but if you get your smelly butt on here twice a year I'm filing.

The Driver

I drive.
The way I read the contract, one day rides are all that is allowed. Article 37, section 2.

I don't read it that way. I read it as not more than one member of management can ride with a driver per year unless it's for training purposes.

Sounds like it's up to the driver to determine if he or she feels they are being over-supervised or not.

The Driver

I drive.
All I know is if they attempt to ride with me more than once per year I'm filing harassment. The hot new term in mgmt right now is "methods ride". Nothing but a production ride. Pampered dispatch. Perfectly groomed load. Whatever, but if you get your smelly butt on here twice a year I'm filing.

The "methods ride" thing is exactly what's going around in our center.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The way I read the contract, one day rides are all that is allowed. Article 37, section 2.

No.

People always fail to read the whole thing.

"Not more than one (1) member of management will ride with a driver at any time except for the purpose of training management personnel. No driver will be scheduled for more than one (1) day’s ride per year with more than one (1) member of management on the car."

If you feel the number of rides is excessive.... then file a grievance.

-Bug-

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
The "methods ride" thing is exactly what's going around in our center.
My latest ride was a "combination s&v / methods" ride. He knows I'll file if he rides twice. Btw not one word was said about safety or methods. It's all just following orders from above to try to increase production.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No.

People always fail to read the whole thing.

"Not more than one (1) member of management will ride with a driver at any time except for the purpose of training management personnel. No driver will be scheduled for more than one (1) day’s ride per year with more than one (1) member of management on the car."

If you feel the number of rides is excessive.... then file a grievance.

-Bug-
I read that Buggy as one ride per year with only one sup.

oldngray

nowhere special
My latest ride was a "combination s&v / methods" ride. He knows I'll file if he rides twice. Btw not one word was said about safety or methods. It's all just following orders from above to try to increase production.
Its always about production (except for the mandatory safety ride after an accident or your annual ride). They just use "methods" as an excuse.

trickpony1

I do have a question about more than two (2) people being on a pkg car.

The pkg car was OEM built for two people, the driver and a passenger. There is a seat and a seatbelt for a driver and a passenger.

If a third person is on that vehicle where, legally, will he sit and be secured with a seatbelt?

I think there are even DOT and state laws about having a seat and a seatbelt for each occupant.

In essence, I think a third person standing in the cargo area holding onto the shelves, swaying with the movements of the vehicle, may be illegal. But what could I know?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Its always about production (except for the mandatory safety ride after an accident or your annual ride). They just use "methods" as an excuse.

What trips the red flags, are when burners tear up some drivers bid route.

And then they get mad when you explain that they are reading it wrong.

I've found, that if you just take a few minutes (and calmly) read through it

with the member.... almost all, will understand their mis-interpretation.

I do have a question about more than two (2) people being on a pkg car.

The pkg car was OEM built for two people, the driver and a passenger. There is a seat and a seatbelt for a driver and a passenger.

If a third person is on that vehicle where, legally, will he sit and be secured with a seatbelt?

I think there are even DOT and state laws about having a seat and a seatbelt for each occupant.

In essence, I think a third person standing in the cargo area holding onto the shelves, swaying with the movements of the vehicle, may be illegal. But what could I know?

It's funny you mention this.... because it has been discussed before.

And in 3..2..1.. @scratch can and will provide a picture of a third seat in the

cab of a pkg car. I've never seen one in person, and he is the "go to" for this.

-Bug-

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

It seemed like I was the go to guy for a couple years any time a supervisor needed to be retrained on ride alongs. I usually ended up more over allowed than normal, and each supervisor had their own set of methods they were trying to teach me. From now on, I will be doing the same, and filing on any more than one ride per year.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Two jump seats in a package car.
996759E3-E0ED-4E94-A44A-E1F751035D0E.jpeg