3 Regions, 20 Districts

Buffaloaf

i was wondering how you have a misload in your car all day, and you call it into the center. They tell you not to sheet it as missed, and to bring it in. You track it the next day and it said "left in building." Hmmm, don't you think there is something wrong with this picture.....?

Probably because it was left over night and the TWI or Night sort scanned it into holdover as an exception.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Probably because it was left over night and the TWI or Night sort scanned it into holdover as an exception.

The pkg was loaded on the wrong pkg car. The driver sent a misload text to the center indicating that he could not deliver the misload. He then received an ODS saying not to sheet it and that it would be sheeted in the center. The driver wrote down the tracking number just for the heck of it to see how they sheeted it in the center and it was sheeted as "left in building". They basically lied to cover their butts.

tarbar66

The pkg was loaded on the wrong pkg car. The driver sent a misload text to the center indicating that he could not deliver the misload. He then received an ODS saying not to sheet it and that it would be sheeted in the center. The driver wrote down the tracking number just for the heck of it to see how they sheeted it in the center and it was sheeted as "left in building". They basically lied to cover their butts.

In the end how is a "left in building" package counted?

I would think it is a missed package but there are many brighter minds that may know the correct answer.

Buffaloaf

To be entirely clear, what I was saying was that when he brought it back, it was probably thrown back into one of the other future sorts (twi or night, presumably) and sorted into a re-run can that gets scanned as "left in building" exceptions. I still may be wrong, but just wanted to make sure that you were not getting what I was trying to say because after rereading my post it was vague. Either way, it is considered a worse offense for management to have a "left in building" package than a misload because "left in building" implies that there was a mistake by management, whereas a misload can be blamed on the loader/sorter. I don't work preload, so you're probably right though...was just throwing out that it was a possibility. Also, I don't know what "sheeting it" is, but in order for it to have a new comment line on it when tracking, such as "left in building", it has to be scanned again (unless of course, "sheeting it" is some manual form of giving it a scan and uploading the info onto ups.com).

Dustyroads

"Sheeting" is an old term for recording packages on paper. Or, in those days, if one didn't deliver a package for any reason, it should be "sheeted" or recorded, with the reason for non-delivery specified. That would be as opposed to "sneaking it back into the building" without "sheeting" it. These are all old timer terms from the days when we used paper to record packages. Now days, sheeting just refers to scanning the package and entering the delivery or non delivery info into the diad.

Buffaloaf

"Sheeting" is an old term for recording packages on paper. Or, in those days, if one didn't deliver a package for any reason, it should be "sheeted" or recorded, with the reason for non-delivery specified. That would be as opposed to "sneaking it back into the building" without "sheeting" it. These are all old timer terms from the days when we used paper to record packages. Now days, sheeting just refers to scanning the package and entering the delivery or non delivery info into the diad.

That's what I figured, but it's nice to know specifically what it is. Thanks.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
i was wondering how you have a misload in your car all day, and you call it into the center. They tell you not to sheet it as missed, and to bring it in. You track it the next day and it said "left in building." Hmmm, don't you think there is something wrong with this picture.....?

This is all too common of a practice and you should call the 1-800 number to report it. They do this to keep the missed packages from showing on the report that the division and operations managers see first thing in the morning. When they do this it takes the pressure off them but it puts the pressure on everyone else to do the same thing (cheat). If you don't want to call the 1-800 number you can sheet the package as missed and then see if anyone dares to document what they told you to do on a "failure to follow instructions" warning letter.

northroad

suz, I, like everone on this board (management or union) very much appreciate all the hard work you have done for UPS, and I am confident you will be taken care of like most of the people in my district.

the writing is on the wall....if we continue down this path without a radical change in our business, we will not turn a profit in the US in about 10 years, maybe less, much less. i've seen the graphs.

bumped

Now with the districts being combined will we still be able to transfer within the district. Some/all the districts are made up of multiple states.

UPS Lifer

Now with the districts being combined will we still be able to transfer within the district. Some/all the districts are made up of multiple states.

Doesn't it depend on the local you are in?

Knowing California pretty well, I noticed that the Central California District and Southern California District were split at local 396 boundries. Cerritos, GV and San Gabriel are all part of 396 and they are moving to Central Cal.

It appears that some thought has gone into the boundaries to simplify some processes. SEC district had to have labor managers that had expertise in two different locals. Some locals are very very different in the supplements and the way those supplements are processed. This creates a duplication in positions - part of the redundancy which can now be eliminated.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Also, I don't know what "sheeting it" is

I have run into this statement a couple of times in the last few days.......not on BC either.

EmerCond421

Also, I don't know what "sheeting it" is

I have run into this statement a couple of times in the last few days.......not on BC either.