3 Regions, 20 Districts

pretzel_man

No, its only the beginning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Brownrod: They start shipping next week. Right now, I can barely contain the pickups that I already have, the 25 yr old P-800 you are forcing my route into is too small and my shoulders hurt from fighting the manual steering. Now that I turned in a lead and got more volume, will you cut some stops off of me?

Mgr: No, IE wont let me, I have been told I have to cut out more routes.

Brownrod: Then will you give me a P-10 so that I can contain the new volume I solicited?

Mgr: No, IE wont give me any new cars, they say we dont need any.

Brownrod: So how the hell am I supposed to deal with this new volume when I dont have room or time for it?

Mgr: end of discussion.

Actually, there is much more to the story, and if done right this new structure changes that.

The conversation today does NOT go as you have outlined, but it is still not an optimal discussion.

Today's discussion is:
What does this do to Stops per Car?
What does this do to NDPPH?
What does this do to SPORH?
What does this do to Ov/Un

Again, if done right in the future the questions are:
What does this do to Service?
What does this do to P and L?

This is what Myron said. This is the right thing.

Will we pull it off? I don't know.

P-Man

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The word around here is that they are gonna slack up a little on the stops per car to try and reduce overtime. Of course, if everyone just stays out anyway it won't last long.

The word around here is that they are gonna slack up a little on the stops per car to try and reduce overtime. Of course, if everyone just stays out anyway it won't last long.
It seems to me it is cyclical. For a few weeks they try to limit nine fives by adding routes. During that time, drivers who go over nine five get harrassed. Then, someone snaps their finger, and overnight, cutting routes is all the rage and all drivers are over nine five. In our center, it just goes back and forth between those two extremes.

Gearhead

Gearhead
This is a huge step for big brown and for the most part you can bet the execution of this plan has been carefully considered. For the most part we can all sit back, arm-chair quarterback and second guess the new restructuring plan. However, this is not change for the sake of change....this is strategic change for the longterm livelihood of the entire organization...hourly and management!

The reality is that our organization has to change with the times. At this point, I know my job has been eliminated and I may or may not have a new assignment in 5 months. However, the driving factor of this change in our business is that our stock is literally worth less than it was in 1999. Taking in account inflation, the lack of stock growth and the shrinkage of profits, we have to make significant changes.

For the past 3 plus years management has heard the message that UPS is and will transition from a paternalistic "take care of the partners" environment to a performance driven environment. (remember the Enterprise Strategy presentations!) Well, we are there; we are emerging as a performance driven organization.

Our Mgmt committee and Board are in an difficult position. They are making decisions that are completely contrary to their UPS upbringing. As a result of our pre-1999 partnership culture, many of them have been made wealthy and successful far beyond their furthest imagination. At that time, loyalty to the partnership was tantamount. I can recall the days of missing vacations, graduations, births, funerals, recitals, etc. in the name of the "partnership". Unfortunately, for all partners (including those investors referred to as "the market"), our mgmt committee and board have made the decision that they feel will move our stock in the right direction.

Yes, some naysayers will say that I've drank too much of the KOOLAID, but investor confidence, stock price, and profits will eventually dwindle to the point that our only net worth will be properties and proprietary assets. Then what...the elimination of 1800 jobs will pale compared to what the future could hold.

In closing, the only downside to this is it looks like the retirement age and our retirement pension plan for thos under 50 will be changing. This is my one frustration....based on current calculations, my 25 years of service don't seem to have much worth!

When I went into mgmt, there was strong assurity that I would have a solid retirement with UPS stock at a 12% annual return, the Thrift plan and my retirement pension. As a result, we will all have to work longer, be more responsible for our financial future, and come to accept the realities of the real business world.

If you want to know what is really valuable, read John Piper's "Don't waste your life". He has a great perspective on this thing we call retirement!

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
its about time they got rid of some management people. some make over $100,000.00, and us hard working drivers, over the last year with route cuts and excessive over 9.5 dispatches, worked to pay for them. Maybe now, things will calm down, but probably not, and the management will see the light, that we can't be whipped like that on a daily basis. Maybe 2010, is starting to look a lil better?

I hope it calms down a bit. We have drivers going out EVERYDAY with up to 195 stops, while others are sent home. One on car supe has the balls to tell one of the drivers he was paid over by 1.6 hrs after he did 185 stops and 25 pickups... These guys are clowns.

Mapp

Choo Choo

P-Man

I'd like to believe this, just have a hard time doing so.

705red

Browncafe Steward
This is a huge step for big brown and for the most part you can bet the execution of this plan has been carefully considered. For the most part we can all sit back, arm-chair quarterback and second guess the new restructuring plan. However, this is not change for the sake of change....this is strategic change for the longterm livelihood of the entire organization...hourly and management!

The reality is that our organization has to change with the times. At this point, I know my job has been eliminated and I may or may not have a new assignment in 5 months. However, the driving factor of this change in our business is that our stock is literally worth less than it was in 1999. Taking in account inflation, the lack of stock growth and the shrinkage of profits, we have to make significant changes.

For the past 3 plus years management has heard the message that UPS is and will transition from a paternalistic "take care of the partners" environment to a performance driven environment. (remember the Enterprise Strategy presentations!) Well, we are there; we are emerging as a performance driven organization.

Our Mgmt committee and Board are in an difficult position. They are making decisions that are completely contrary to their UPS upbringing. As a result of our pre-1999 partnership culture, many of them have been made wealthy and successful far beyond their furthest imagination. At that time, loyalty to the partnership was tantamount. I can recall the days of missing vacations, graduations, births, funerals, recitals, etc. in the name of the "partnership". Unfortunately, for all partners (including those investors referred to as "the market"), our mgmt committee and board have made the decision that they feel will move our stock in the right direction.

Yes, some naysayers will say that I've drank too much of the KOOLAID, but investor confidence, stock price, and profits will eventually dwindle to the point that our only net worth will be properties and proprietary assets. Then what...the elimination of 1800 jobs will pale compared to what the future could hold.

In closing, the only downside to this is it looks like the retirement age and our retirement pension plan for thos under 50 will be changing. This is my one frustration....based on current calculations, my 25 years of service don't seem to have much worth!

When I went into mgmt, there was strong assurity that I would have a solid retirement with UPS stock at a 12% annual return, the Thrift plan and my retirement pension. As a result, we will all have to work longer, be more responsible for our financial future, and come to accept the realities of the real business world.

If you want to know what is really valuable, read John Piper's "Don't waste your life". He has a great perspective on this thing we call retirement!
Welcome to the cafe MR.DAVIS.

tarbar66

Today's discussion is:
What does this do to Stops per Car?
What does this do to NDPPH?

About 3 or 4 years ago if the Center was making Net Delivered PPH & Net Pick UP PPH you were just about allowed to run as many routes as needed within reason.

Service was good and Overtime was almost non existant. I think there were less than 15% under dispatched and maybe only 5% over 9.5. Life was good for everyone!

Then someone in IE did not like that and there were no more under dispatched allowed. O/T went up and moral went down.

P-Man

I hope the local people can take care of dispatch that works best in their area.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
LOL Red! That would be something, wouldn't it. He doesn't have time for those of us that work in the trenches, taking care of the customers and supporting this company and his pay check. Nice thought though. :happy2:

DiadDude

If myself or any other driver in my center were only 20 minutes over our managers would be slapping us high fives and bringing donuts to PCM the next day. Our time studies are so ancient and wrong that they are all but disregarded (you have to be in the 3-4 hours over neighborhood to get a talking to)

That being said I get your point. But my point is what do i say for that 20 minutes. Easiest way for me would be to have a place in the DIAD where I could type in some simple information and be on my way. I tried sending an ODS message once with info but the OMS didn't care or know what to do about it.

Sales Lead functionality has been in the DIAD for several years.

DS

Fenderbender

It was actually a well written explanation that probobly echoes the reality of the things to come in our company.I call it our company, although the truth is the majority of us are mere pawns in this chess tournament.

Gearhead,thank you for taking the time to join the browncafe.
I look forword to your future posts.

GUTHREE

Mrs. Smooth
Ups is finally stepping up to the plate and getting rid of 1800 + jobs in management and admin, wow. I know where they can start is right here. Talking about major integrity issues within management. We call it "LCS school" where i work. All management team must go to "lie, cheat and steal" school first when they go into management. drivers will be given a warning letter if they don't use their turn signal coming out of a parking lot, but management can "hide" accidents and call drivers degrading names. i'm still a human and still will not tolerate being treated like crap.

tieguy

Banned
Ups is finally stepping up to the plate and getting rid of 1800 + jobs in management and admin, wow. I know where they can start is right here. Talking about major integrity issues within management. We call it "LCS school" where i work. All management team must go to "lie, cheat and steal" school first when they go into management. drivers will be given a warning letter if they don't use their turn signal coming out of a parking lot, but management can "hide" accidents and call drivers degrading names. i'm still a human and still will not tolerate being treated like crap.

I was thinking about what you're kind of hitting all around here. I realized that my boss is a shirker. His boss a tryant. The managers at my level are all idiots. The people that work for me are all lazy. the guy at the gas station is some kind of pervert. The grocer is a thief. After I got done putting down everyone else in the world I started feeling really good about myself because dang I was the only hard working, super intelligent, honest nice guy in the whole damn world. :happy-very:

There is a danger that goes with rooting for other people to lose their jobs.

and my second thought for the day if you really believe the way you do, does it mean you really don't feel good about yourself?

Scott Davis is an airline man, he came from ll Morrow, and finally has taken control of the company. UPS has always had "too many chiefs and not enough indians" and finally an outsider has came in and straightened this mess out. As long as we had truckers running the company we had so many partners splitting the "piece of the pie" that only crumbs were handed out. With the manager of the north-south division of the east west etc etc partners slipped through the cracks and the foxes were raiding the hen house. Now people will have to perform to stay on the payroll and if you moved to management just because you "couldnt cut it" as a driver those days are over.

Tell me how he straightened this mess out....by hiring the ceo of the Heinz pickle company to be on our board of directors? Airline mentality!