3 Things

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you choose to go sexual in an Internet forum that is what the other members will expect from you and on the rare occasions that you do have something of value to add to the discussion it will be ignored.

menotyou

bella amicizia
People have tried to box me into a certain standard before and have failed. I will do what makes me happy. If someone chooses to ignore a valuable item I might add, that is their loss. It will not be put on me. I suppose a girl who goes to a bar alone wearing a miniskirt deserves to be raped, also. That is the same logic. Do not try and lay on me what are another person's issue.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Oh, please...he has an Executive Board that actually runs the company and a Board of Directors to oversee operations. His toughest decision is whether to have caviar or escargot for lunch.
Kind of like Obama? The POTUS, for those of you who object to a particular party.

No. I say a bodily function is something you don't have control over.........people choose to have babies.
And unfortunately, some don't!

BrownArmy

Um, getting back on topic, everyone should drive cover for at least a year.

Every route is so different...I'm on my third year as cover, and I might bid an actual route this time around (versus my current cover bid), or I might not.

But you learn a lot being a cover driver - and if I'm on a route I don't like so much, or a route I do, I know I'll be on a different route soon. After three years of cover, I can learn a route (80%) in three days. If I get sent out on the blind, no problem, one stop at a time.

Screw GPS, I bought a map book and removed the pages of every town my center delivers to. I 'laminated' them with clear packing tape and have them all folded up in my work bag. I carry the map book as well, so when my center trades me to the other center in my building, I can make it happen.

Fourth thing every driver should do, be a cover driver for a year.

leastbest

LeastBest
I've never been a cover driver. I've had the same route for thirty-two years. When I started I was on a training route next to it for a year or so and then got my own route. Never learned any others. Being on the South Shore of Lake Erie is all I want, at least for twenty-two more days.

old levi's

blank space
Um, getting back on topic, everyone should drive cover for at least a year.

Every route is so different...I'm on my third year as cover, and I might bid an actual route this time around (versus my current cover bid), or I might not.

But you learn a lot being a cover driver - and if I'm on a route I don't like so much, or a route I do, I know I'll be on a different route soon. After three years of cover, I can learn a route (80%) in three days. If I get sent out on the blind, no problem, one stop at a time.

Screw GPS, I bought a map book and removed the pages of every town my center delivers to. I 'laminated' them with clear packing tape and have them all folded up in my work bag. I carry the map book as well, so when my center trades me to the other center in my building, I can make it happen.

Fourth thing every driver should do, be a cover driver for a year.

Did that for ten years.

kdogg788

At my hub the current wait for drivers is 2 years. From what I hear, it used to be 8, but there has been a lot of turnover. I'm not sure about anywhere else but this one has 4 package centers within it, and they only hire from within.

-k

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At my hub the current wait for drivers is 2 years. From what I hear, it used to be 8, but there has been a lot of turnover. I'm not sure about anywhere else but this one has 4 package centers within it, and they only hire from within.

-k

Contractually they are required to hire from outside as well. The ratio may be different where you are but here it is 1 outside hire for every 6 insiders promoted.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
What is the stigma with running a satellite route? I bid on one a few years ago and have never looked back!
You couldn't get me back into the center for anything.
I got the best preloader in the industry. Perfect loads on a daily basis!
No pep rally to attend every morning!
No Ketter audits!
No management!
No harassment!
No telematics!
No need to regurgitate the 10 point commentary!
See my oncar once a year for the annual space & vis ride and that is all!
All of the above is PRICELESS!
Everyone should try it!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

7. Take your lunch and breaks according to contract. (1 year should get you in the habit) (and should get them to fix any anomalies in your area that would preclude you from doing so)

I have been conducting a little experiment this week. I have been taking my break between the 1st and 3rd hour and my lunch between the 3rd and 5th. Usually I would combine the two and take them much later in the day, usually between the 6th and 7th hours. I wanted to see what effect doing this would have on my paid day and, thus far, the effect has been neglible. I have punched out the same time every day this week that I usually do. (1815) Tonight was a bit different as I ran off two LIB's on my way home and they added 15 minutes to my punch out time. The dispatch has been about the same. The one thing that has suffered is my pickup compliance. My P/U log is set up based on me taking my lunch and break as stated above. I was at 100% compliance but have been closer to 50% this week.

What's my point? For years I have read here that taking our lunch and break according to the contract would force the company to add routes. Based solely on my personal experience this week this is simply not the case.

evilleace

What's my point? For years I have read here that taking our lunch and break according to the contract would force the company to add routes. Based solely on my personal experience this week this is simply not the case.

I think this applies more for the drivers who do not take a lunch at all or for drivers who take it after they aredone for the day.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have been conducting a little experiment this week. I have been taking my break between the 1st and 3rd hour and my lunch between the 3rd and 5th. Usually I would combine the two and take them much later in the day, usually between the 6th and 7th hours. I wanted to see what effect doing this would have on my paid day and, thus far, the effect has been neglible. I have punched out the same time every day this week that I usually do. (1815) Tonight was a bit different as I ran off two LIB's on my way home and they added 15 minutes to my punch out time. The dispatch has been about the same. The one thing that has suffered is my pickup compliance. My P/U log is set up based on me taking my lunch and break as stated above. I was at 100% compliance but have been closer to 50% this week.What's my point? For years I have read here that taking our lunch and break according to the contract would force the company to add routes. Based solely on my personal experience this week this is simply not the case.
Are you saying that you deliver lib packages on your way home....does anyone else have a problem with this besides me. How do the dr times get into the system? What would happen if you get in a car accident while "working" delivering these packages...doesn't seem like a wise idea.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you saying that you deliver lib packages on your way home....does anyone else have a problem with this besides me. How do the dr times get into the system? What would happen if you get in a car accident while "working" delivering these packages...doesn't seem like a wise idea.

We have covered this before and, to be blunt, could care less whether you have a problem with it or not. One of them was a NDA SVR with mortgage documentation and the other was a pkg for a commercial stop that I brought to the customer's house. Both were on my way home. Stops were completed in bldg and punch out time adjusted. Both customers appreciated the effort and commented on my new delivery vehicle.