30 day probationary period almost ending, questions.

Northern New York New Guy

22-4 Combo Driver
I’ve started my 30 days to make book early April but was sick for a week which delayed the process. I’ve been scratching by 1.48 And 1.22 under consistently, maintained good numbers telematics wise and never complain. My only concern is that the hub I’m in is slammed, we’ve even brought seasonal guys back to help. You have to scratch 10 days straight and after one 5 day streak, they hit me with a 240stop truck 400 pieces and a 17 pickups that I was over for which seemed impossible to scratch, not to mention it was down pouring . The following week I had 7 days in a row and I had a similar situation on a Tuesday (shocker) which I was also over for. I’m at 6 days straight scratching by quite a bit now with about 10 working days left and my supervisor told me to get ready for Monday, no diad. Our hub clearly needs help with the seasonal workers here and I started before them to officially get the job and not just help, already provided my sales lead, provided my letter to * , gotten my Picture taken, gotten new clothing and have been signing my book. How rigid is that 10 day scratch rule and does scratching by extra mean more? Nothing written is or complaining, I’m just genuinely confused how some days seem like setups for failure with a lot on the line for us new guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I’ve started my 30 days to make book early April but was sick for a week which delayed the process. I’ve been scratching by 1.48 And 1.22 consistently, maintained good numbers telematics wise and never complain. My only concern is that the hub I’m in is slammed, we’ve even brought seasonal guys back to help. You have to scratch 10 days straight and after one 5 day streak, they hit me with a 240stop truck 400 pieces and a 17 pickups that I was over for which seemed impossible to scratch, not to mention it was down pouring . The following week I had 7 days in a row and I had a similar situation on a Tuesday (shocker) which I was also over for. I’m at 6 days straight scratching by quite a bit now with about 10 working days left and my supervisor told me to get ready for Monday, no diad. Our hub clearly needs help with the seasonal where and I’ve already provided my sales lead, gotten new clothing and have been signing my book. How rigid is that 10 day scratch rule and does scratching by extra mean more? Nothing written is or complaining, I’m just genuinely confused how some days seem like setups for failure with a lot on the line for us new guys.
@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
I'm from upper New York as well, * is also our big honcho. I would say you're probably fine. It doesn't seem management is talking to you about your numbers.
I'm sure they are looking for positive attitude, maintaining your composure, and finishing your day. Even if its one bad day, 4 good days afterwards show a lot to them. Just keep doing the job as best you can. Don't be late, don't crash the truck or get injured and finish up your 30 days.

The concern i would have is them telling you no diad? You need ground days to add to your 30 day qualification. So any air runs, shuttling or things of that nature won't count towards your qualification.

You could even show initiative by asking management now that your a few weeks in, is there anything they recommend you do to help you. Basically show management that you're a good hire, won't be a headache towards them with your attitude etc. And you'll probably make book.

But honestly, afterwards, make book and slow down a bit. Being an hour under or more sounds like you may be cutting some corners for safety. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Be safe, don't hurt yourself. Follow the methods as best you can and try and stay positive. This job is already hard enough without poor attitude. 30 years is a long time.

Goodluck

542thruNthru

I’ve started my 30 days to make book early April but was sick for a week which delayed the process. I’ve been scratching by 1.48 And 1.22 under consistently, maintained good numbers telematics wise and never complain. My only concern is that the hub I’m in is slammed, we’ve even brought seasonal guys back to help. You have to scratch 10 days straight and after one 5 day streak, they hit me with a 240stop truck 400 pieces and a 17 pickups that I was over for which seemed impossible to scratch, not to mention it was down pouring . The following week I had 7 days in a row and I had a similar situation on a Tuesday (shocker) which I was also over for. I’m at 6 days straight scratching by quite a bit now with about 10 working days left and my supervisor told me to get ready for Monday, no diad. Our hub clearly needs help with the seasonal workers here and I started before them to officially get the job and not just help, already provided my sales lead, provided my letter to *, gotten my Picture taken, gotten new clothing and have been signing my book. How rigid is that 10 day scratch rule and does scratching by extra mean more? Nothing written is or complaining, I’m just genuinely confused how some days seem like setups for failure with a lot on the line for us new guys.

Scratch means 0.00. You are under allowed when you are below scratch.

I think you'll be fine. Also remember they need people bad and you are a hard worker. They are going to keep you. Just keep working hard and don't get into any accidents or injuries.

How many days left on your 30?

22-4 Combo Driver
I meant no cradle not no diad, my mistake- I do ask questions a lot and in September of the seasonal hires 2019- I sucked, badly. I just kept giving it all I had and my supervisor said I hands down was the most improved. From post office routes to 269 delivery 450 piece days for weeks at a time toward the end. I have no shame in saying it either. They know how much I want the job, I’m young, I do well, and I fully intend it n pumping the breaks a bit as soon as I make book. Some of the senior guys bust my balls already because they see me 2 hours under from the day before.

I think you'll be fine. Also remember they need people bad and you are a hard worker. They are going to keep you. Just keep working hard and don't get into any accidents or injuries.

I'm from upper New York as well, Cannon is also our big honcho. I would say you're probably fine. It doesn't seem management is talking to you about your numbers.
I'm sure they are looking for positive attitude, maintaining your composure, and finishing your day. Even if its one bad day, 4 good days afterwards show a lot to them. Just keep doing the job as best you can. Don't be late, don't crash the truck or get injured and finish up your 30 days.

The concern i would have is them telling you no diad? You need ground days to add to your 30 day qualification. So any air runs, shuttling or things of that nature won't count towards your qualification.

You could even show initiative by asking management now that your a few weeks in, is there anything they recommend you do to help you. Basically show management that you're a good hire, won't be a headache towards them with your attitude etc. And you'll probably make book.

But honestly, afterwards, make book and slow down a bit. Being an hour under or more sounds like you may be cutting some corners for safety. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Be safe, don't hurt yourself. Follow the methods as best you can and try and stay positive. This job is already hard enough without poor attitude. 30 years is a long time.

Goodluck

22-4 Combo Driver
12 working days I believe give or take a day or two.

542thruNthru

I meant no cradle not no diad, my mistake- I do ask questions a lot and in September of the seasonal hires 2019- I sucked, badly. I just kept giving it all I had and my supervisor said I hands down was the most improved. From post office routes to 269 delivery 450 piece days for weeks at a time toward the end. I have no shame in saying it either. They know how much I want the job, I’m young, I do well, and I fully intend it n pumping the breaks a bit as soon as I make book. Some of the senior guys bust my balls already because they see me 2 hours under from the day before.

Are you doing the same route every day? If so you don't need to worry about the cradle. Just make sure you're keeping track of your next 5 stops and keep moving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I averaged an hour or more under every day for 30 years. In my 30 days I was 1.5 to 2.5 hours under. You do what you have to do to get hired and to qualify and you shouldn't let what the "older guys" think about you affect your performance.

22-4 Combo Driver
Are you doing the same route every day? If so you don't need to worry about the cradle. Just make sure you're keeping track of your next 5 stops and keep moving.

yeah it’s the training route, I’ve heard it’s the route the give the guys they really want to make it because it’s easy to get down. I’m good without a cradle at this point, I’m not too worried and that’s exactly what I do 5-10 stops ahead. Good advice

22-4 Combo Driver
I averaged an hour or more under every day for 30 years. In my 30 days I was 1.5 to 2.5 hours under. You do what you have to do to get hired and to qualify and you shouldn't let what the "older guys" think about you affect your performance.

Thanks for that, thankfully a lot of the senior guys know I’m one of the few new guys who got the job opportunity (3 of us out of 58 seasonal) that they know bust their ass and do the job right. I’ve helped many of them during peak as well.