-30 Wind Chill

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Guess what, Im now on vacation!! The boss called and asked if I wanted another day off, I said why dont you just give me a week vaca. He said no problem. I hate to burn up vaca but I dont want to be out til 8 or 9 in this. Yes I am a wimp. I had on so many layers if I fell down Id never get up!!

Tell me, is this generally a slow volume month? I seem to remember it is. My route is going out with splits in another area, which I dont know, not a nice area, and I would be doing it in the dark. So while I hate to burn up vaca, I saw this as a win win, for me.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I could of had off today but the kids are home from school again today. Easier to go to work. We used to have a month straight of below zero and no one missed school. Now a couple of cold days everyone panics.

rod

Retired 22 years
I could of had off today but the kids are home from school again today. Easier to go to work. We used to have a month straight of below zero and no one missed school. Now a couple of cold days everyone panics.
I remember when we walked 5 miles in the snow to school - up hill (both ways)

At our building,because they think that running a rig to keep it warm costs too much,they never started and warmed the tractors over the weekend. It backfired to the tune of over 50% of our tractors couldn`t be started. That more than 70 units. To say it hit the fan is an understatment. Mgmt was sent on the street to move loads,brokers were called in,outside truck starting services were called in,paid ot hit the DOT limit. There were rigs still sitting dead today.

trickpony1

At our building,because they think that running a rig to keep it warm costs too much,they never started and warmed the tractors over the weekend. It backfired to the tune of over 50% of our tractors couldn`t be started. That more than 70 units. To say it hit the fan is an understatment. Mgmt was sent on the street to move loads,brokers were called in,outside truck starting services were called in,paid ot hit the DOT limit. There were rigs still sitting dead today.

.....but think of the money the company saved by not plugging in the engine block heaters that all those "rigs" have. :thumbup1:

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I heard my mechanic & his boss talking about what someone in Corporate said concerning the money that was saved in Nov. & Dec. by not using diesel fuel blended for cold weather. Next they were laughing about the penny's saved were dollars lost today. Why do we even try when there are people with no common sense running the show!

opie

I would much rather take this than a 100 degree day in the summer. I just wish it would snow. The cold doesn't bother me that much, I just deal with it. After a few days I just get used to it. Just like in the summer, after a couple of hot days your body adjusts.

DS

Fenderbender
I disagree opie ..."hey uncle Charlie,can I have a sandwich to spoil my dinner"?good old opie...I`m in Canada and I hate the cold.You must have thicker blood than me,I like the heat.When its summer here I dont mind the sweat.
my body does not adjust.I shiver for 2 hours after I get home.
The tracking labels wont stick,the ink in my pen freezes,
The nostrils slap together when you try to breathe...
I`m pretty tough but I still hate it

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Forgot to mention I punched out at 7:30 after helping another driver Monday.
Places close because of the cold and we break areas. That's why I get the Big Coin!

browned out

It's better to work is these Michigan winter temperatures than Summer temps. Give me 0 any day over 80. 130 degrees in back of package car sucks. Just be glad we ain't hanging on the back of garbage trucks in the cold.