34 hour reset

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by derrick, Dec 5, 2019.

1. derrick

derrick Member

i get off work saturday morning around 3am. but I wanted to come in sunday morning and work inside and get double time for 4 or 8 hours. will that violate the 34 hour reset rule? wondering because I won't be driving just working in he building loading trailers.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

Are you a driver?

3. cosmo1

cosmo1 Perhaps. Staff Member

Pay attention.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. UpstateNYUPSer

"I won't be driving" and "I am not a driver" are not one in the same.

5. It's fine as long as you don't plan on driving the next day

6. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

Any hours worked count against your DOT hours. If you're working doing something else beside driving, you're not getting rest for when you DO drive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Yeah but not an issue if you never drive.

8. UpstateNYUPSer

It is hard to tell from his post whether he drives during the week and is picking up hours in the hub on Sunday or if he is an inside worker.

9. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

If he's getting off work at 3 AM Saturday he's probably either a feeder driver, in which case yes it will screw up his reset, or he's an inside employee working the night sort in which case it's a non-issue.

10. UpstateNYUPSer

...or he could be getting off work at 3 AM Saturday from his side job...

11. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

As long as you don't go over 70 hours in 8 days, or 60 in 7, you aren't required to take a 34 hr reset.

12. cosmo1

cosmo1 Perhaps. Staff Member

I can't imagine a feeder driver wanting to work in the hub.;)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

Derrick is a combo. He drives air and works preload if I'm not mistaken.

14. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

@derrick you have to have 34 hours rest to reset your 60/7. That means no work at all for 34 hours.

15. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

I can't imagine a feeder driver wanting to actually work - period.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

You won't violate DOT HOS since you aren't driving, but you will also not get your 34 hour reset, and these hours inside the building count against your 60 or 70.

It could affect your ability to drive on Monday.

If he knows about a 34 hour reset and violating HOS, I doubt he is just an inside worker.

17. retiredTxfeeder

I had a job going to Lake Charles, Louisiana, where I had to be there for like 2 hours before they wrapped up and I could pull. They asked me if I would use that time to bag smalls in their building instead of just sitting in my tractor. I did. But just a couple of times. lol.

18. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

I started a new job that had 2 hours down time, waiting for sort down. Been that way forever.

UPS started having all of these jobs with down time shift on their lot. I heard it was happening everywhere. They hated paying us to sleep, and I kind of don't blame them.

My first day of this new mandate, they had me shift for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, they said that's all they need and that my loads were ready to go.

I told them that's all fine and good, but I'm not ready to go. I told them that they had not given me time to take my meal, that they made me shift the entire time I was there.

Told them that I would not make it back for the sort by the time I took my meal and then hooked up and left.

Boy were they hot. They had to send 1 of their drivers with my loads 220 miles and then come back with an empty. He drove 440 miles in all. After my meal, I pulled an empty out of there.

Never had to shift again. Slept for 2 hours everyday for the next year.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. retiredTxfeeder

Hey, we don't make the schedules. It's above our pay grade. Just bang on the tractor when you're done.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. UpstateNYUPSer

@Mugarolla-----just curious----at any point in that conversation did you bother to tell them that you had not yet taken your meal break?

Sir, what you did would officially be called a dick move.