350 Package Car Methods?

moreluck

golden ticket member
"how are the drivers, do they do everything they are required to do

How are the drivers ? Do they do everything they are required to do ? :wink2:

over9five

Staff member
"how are the drivers do they do everything they are required to do"

Those damn drivers. They do nothing they are required to do.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, do you have any reason why every driver shouldn't be given a copy? If UPS management truly had faith in them, a copy should be distributed to all employees. Why aren't they? Could it possibly be because UPS is run by hypocrites who really don't want workers following ALL those methods? Maybe instead management just expects everybody to run like idiots, cut corners everywhere, and skip all breaks. But wait, they have that already... It's called the PLANNED DAY!

I wouldn't have any problem giving drivers a copy. I'm sure most copies will sit and collect dust. Nice speech though. Some people like yourself even blame management when they forget to wipe theirselves properly.

You should get a membership and cry here regularly.

Channahon

Are the 9.5 greivances based on planned day or the driver's actual time?

You seem like an agressive person, I can't see why you wouldn't approach your management team to get a copy of the methods.

Or ask your union steward or division manager, if need be. As Tie stated, he wouldn't have a problem giving the methods to a driver, and when I was working, not only would I provide a copy of the methods, I insisted my managers and sups trained by the methods. That is what the methods are for, to provide consistency in our operations.

Good Luck

browniehound

Sence of urgency....hmmm.....I don't recall, but I think it had something to do with going to the restroom at my next five stops but not before anouncing"UPS" so that everyone knows it is me doing it.Something like that.

I'm not sure "convey a sense of urgency" is the soundest delivery method in regards to customer service.

From what I observed over my years is that the customers don't like this. They like people who are calm and collected when they ask "can you please sign?"

I've heard story after story about the "other guy" that was here yesterday that was in such a hurry that he couldn't anwser a simple question and went running out of the office once he got the signature. Is this the proper way to conduct business?

If we are not allowed the time to say "Hi Jenn how are you today? " Something is wrong. Followed by " I have more packages than normal today here on my 2-wheeler, where do you want them because I know I can't leave them in front of your desk"

Asking this way might produce a response from her "Just leave them right here and I'll get the guys to move them in a minute"

Its too bad that there many drivers that will say this : "Hi, where do you want this stuff?" Customer says "ahhh hold'-- Driver "I can't hold on, just pick a spot" Angry customer "Ok then down that hall 100 feet and knock on Mary's door, she'll let you into the storage room"

My philosophy on a delivery that is much larger than normal to an office is nice gets you out much faster than "conveying a sense of urgency".

We all know when we see 22 bundles going to this office that gets 1 or 2 envelopes a day, its not going to be easy. In fact, most of the time I bring 1 package into the office and ask if the delivery even belongs here, Because 6 out of 10 times, somebody made a mistake and sent them to the wrong office.

"Oh, no, those are supposed to go to our Miami office" is what they say after you hauled 500 pounds 50 feet into the building.:whiteflag:

doctor brown 688

I'm right there with you on this one browniehound,I bid and ran(walked) vacation coverage alot of years and have had many method rides because I did not do the route "as fast as the other guy".It was nice to have customers that I did not deliver to on a regular basis say we appreciate your excellent service, the "other" guy is always in a fizz and quite rude(especially when a supe is with you). The supes may not have always liked my numbers but can never dispute my safe driving and injury free work record.

2Slow

Are the 9.5 greivances based on planned day or the driver's actual time?

You seem like an agressive person, I can't see why you wouldn't approach your management team to get a copy of the methods.

Or ask your union steward or division manager, if need be. As Tie stated, he wouldn't have a problem giving the methods to a driver, and when I was working, not only would I provide a copy of the methods, I insisted my managers and sups trained by the methods. That is what the methods are for, to provide consistency in our operations.

Good Luck

9-5 Grievances are based on actual time. There is no where that I'm aware of that the union or the contract officially recognizes time standards. The vague phrase " a fair days work for a fair days pay" is as close as it gets.

Am I aggressive? Yes, no question about it. Would I be afraid to ask for this stuff? No. But.... I don't believe that my Center Manager would give it to me unless I raised a huge stink.
Would I be willing to raise a huge stink? Well, I try to be smart about how I deal with managment. I am aware of the political realities involved in taking on a heads up fight with the boss. The 9-5 grievances are already a huge fight. I prefer not to start up another huge fight over something that might be percieved as petty, also I prefer not to show my hand and give him any clues as to how I might be planning to procede in the big battle.
You said you wouldn't have a problem giving a driver a copy of the methods. I remember having effective and honorable bosses, but it has been a while since I have had one. Most of the good ones seem to have been forced out of the company. I've seen quite a few quit or be fired over disputes regarding being ordered to do something despicable to one of their employees.

Channahon

2slow - how about you ask your steward or business agent to get with the District Labor manager to get a copy? More often than not, Labor managers were in operations at one time or another.

If you are building your case, on the methods, I've not seen any success in any cases at panel, but then again, I've been retired a couple of years.

And the only 9.5 grievances I did see that won, were the center dispatch errors, not the drivers running overallowed. And rightly so, as the centers know the consequences for not dispatching effectively, to eliminate over 9.5 grievances. Now if there are staffing issues causing overdispatching, well that needs to be corrected as well, either getting the employees to come to work or hiring additional drivers as approved by IE and the rest of the world.

Although the actual methods are lenghthy, many are done in one action.
Example: Single stop - 11 methods used to get to the door
pull up to stop
put car in lowest gear
secure handbreak
remove seatbelt
take key out of ignition,
place key on pinky finger
open bulkhead door
get package
close bulkhead door
get DIAD
use handrail to exit vehicle
And the methods go on and on.

ups_vette

My A.M. time runs from the start time to the time I actually leave the building, rarely is it in 8 minutes, sometimes it's as much as 30-45 minutes. You're A.M. time stops when you enter the time in "LEFT BUILDING" . When everyone puts in the default 8 minutes, it looks as though the management team has done an excellent job in getting us out on the road on time, and makes it appear that your drive time to your first stop was more than it should be.

Inside A.M. Time is based on the planned time for the PCM, the walk to your package car, time to PreTrip your car, and time to check your first 5 stops. In the average Center this is about 8 to 10 minutes per driver.

Time spent with management and the stewert is classified as Manager's Time, and is not part of the planned driver's Inside AM time.

Time spent loading the package car is classified as Sort and Load Time and is charged to the Preload operation.

A driver who starts at 08.50 and leaves the building at 09.00 will have a planned time of .13 or .17 (depending on the Center's allowance) for the Inside A.M. The Planned time for the remaining time the driver spent is based on how effective the overall Preload operation was on that day. If the Preload was 80% effective on that day, the driver who spent 20 minutes loading the car will have .27 planned for that part. If the Preload was 90% effective, the planned time would be .30, or if 70% effective .23, and if 100% effective .33.

trplnk....It does not reflect on the time it took you to drive to your area IF you punch the ACTUAL time you left the building. To do otherwise is not an accurate picture of what happened that day.

As a side note, when someone refers to the 340 Methods, it dosen't mean that there are 340 different methods for delivery and pickup. There are a set of Standard Practice Manuals for every job at UPS. One manual is for Hub jobs, another for Clerical jobs, another for Feeders, and so forth. The manual for the delivery and pickup job has a section which discribes the methods a driver is to use to be efficient, which is Section 340, Delivery and Pickup Methods.

2Slow

2slow - how about you ask your steward or business agent to get with the District Labor manager to get a copy? More often than not, Labor managers were in operations at one time or another.

I might try this... I have good relations with Steward and BA.

If you are building your case, on the methods, I've not seen any success in any cases at panel, but then again, I've been retired a couple of years.

It's not so much that I want to build a case on methods, but that I want to be bulletproof against outrageous demands by our on car sups... This happens, but to say a whole lot more specifics would be a dead giveaway of my identity. I know this place isn't the NSA but I don't mean to make it easy for them to figure out my name.

And the only 9.5 grievances I did see that won, were the center dispatch errors, not the drivers running overallowed.

Most of the drivers in my center are "overallowed" everyday (and I do mean Most as in at least 85 to 90%). The time studies seem to be based on an unrealistic "perfect day" that rarely happens.
We have been winning 9-5 grievances for some time now, regardless of the over/under number. (Or as I like to call it, the fantasy sheet)
However, until the triple time thing came into effect, managment didn't seem to care all that much about paying the grievances. Now that they are looking at really having to pay triple time, they are cranking up the threats and harassment to a new high. Someone's head is gonna roll before this is over, and I personally hope it is one of the guys who chose to lie down with the devil... (put on a tie)

BigBrownSanta

Inside A.M. Time is based on the planned time for the PCM, the walk to your package car, time to PreTrip your car, and time to check your first 5 stops. In the average Center this is about 8 to 10 minutes per driver.

Time spent with management and the stewert is classified as Manager's Time, and is not part of the planned driver's Inside AM time.

Is there a code that is supposed to be put into the diad for this under "other work"?

Time spent loading the package car is classified as Sort and Load Time and is charged to the Preload operation.

Is this also supposed to be coded in the diad?

A driver who starts at 08.50 and leaves the building at 09.00 will have a planned time of .13 or .17 (depending on the Center's allowance) for the Inside A.M. The Planned time for the remaining time the driver spent is based on how effective the overall Preload operation was on that day. If the Preload was 80% effective on that day, the driver who spent 20 minutes loading the car will have .27 planned for that part. If the Preload was 90% effective, the planned time would be .30, or if 70% effective .23, and if 100% effective .33.

Who determines the Preload effective % and how is that tied into a planned day?

If the belts are wrapped on time, would that be a 100% effective day?

If so, then am I .33 (20 minutes) ahead of plan if i leave the building on time?

Are you saying there really is a 20 minute sort & load allowance?

Or am I misunderstanding this whole process?

trplnk....It does not reflect on the time it took you to drive to your area IF you punch the ACTUAL time you left the building. To do otherwise is not an accurate picture of what happened that day.

As a side note, when someone refers to the 340 Methods, it dosen't mean that there are 340 different methods for delivery and pickup. There are a set of Standard Practice Manuals for every job at UPS. One manual is for Hub jobs, another for Clerical jobs, another for Feeders, and so forth. The manual for the delivery and pickup job has a section which discribes the methods a driver is to use to be efficient, which is Section 340, Delivery and Pickup Methods.

A driver who starts at 08.50 and leaves the building at 09.00 ( ahhh, such sweet dreams)will have a planned time of .13 or .17 (depending on the Center's allowance) for the Inside A.M. The Planned time for the remaining time the driver spent is based on how effective the overall Preload operation was on that day. If the Preload was 80% effective on that day, the driver who spent 20 minutes loading the car will have .27 planned for that part. If the Preload was 90% effective, the planned time would be .30, or if 70% effective .23, and if 100% effective .33.

In our center it all goes into inside a.m. because we are not allowed to put anything( load time, manager time) into the "other work" categories unless it is announced at the PCM for an exceptionally long meeting. We have been threatened with discipline if we do so. It's been that way for several years. Until the last few years we were forced to put in the 8 minutes added to the start time for the "left building" time. As someone's tag line here says" It's OK to falsify those documents, just don't falsify these documents. Out manager can not get a PCM done in 8 minutes and that is over and beyond the time spent with sales, automotive, any other sup that wants the stage, the safty tip of the day and stretching exercises, OH and a proper pretrip. We have a minimum of two people speaking at the PCM everyday.

I'm thinking that was my point.