350 Package Car Methods?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm not sure "convey a sense of urgency" is the soundest delivery method in regards to customer service.

From what I observed over my years is that the customers don't like this. They like people who are calm and collected when they ask "can you please sign?"

If we are not allowed the time to say "Hi Jenn how are you today? " Something is wrong. Followed by " I have more packages than normal today here on my 2-wheeler, where do you want them because I know I can't leave them in front of your desk"

Asking this way might produce a response from her "Just leave them right here and I'll get the guys to move them in a minute"

Its too bad that there many drivers that will say this : "Hi, where do you want this stuff?" Customer says "ahhh hold'-- Driver "I can't hold on, just pick a spot" Angry customer "Ok then down that hall 100 feet and knock on Mary's door, she'll let you into the storage room"

My philosophy on a delivery that is much larger than normal to an office is nice gets you out much faster than "conveying a sense of urgency".

Perfect brownie. I think management, especially on road sups know all of this is true, especially if they go out on car on a regular basis, but there are some at ups who think if you have 90 stops a day you should be able to get that done in the exact same time everyday...hmmm, sorry guys it doesnt always work that way. It seems like customers always know were in a hurry, this has been beat into their heads for years, but now your find where some customers will finish what they were working on for a few seconds before speaking with you, or finishing the phone call. Back in the day they would stop in the middle of whatever they were doing to give you their full attention....not anymore. It goes back to the basics...no matter how much technology, speed, or whatever this company has MOST customers want a friendly, curtious, driver and if they get this they ARE willing to pay a few more dollars for this. Thats why I dont know why ups doesnt take more advantage of this with their drivers, but I guess there more worried why you spent 30 extra seconds asking the secretary how her moms chemptherapy treatment went the day earlier. Sad. This exact thing is going to keep eroding our customer base.

Last edited:

chipolapitch

OLD SUP
Be fair here, there are many days that customers are where they should be and if you are getting signatures first, they really can't delay you. Nothing wrong witj asking about chemo as long as you are busy. Drivers really need to learn methods and use them. If driver is following 340 methods he/she is doing their job and no rides in world can change that. Hope this helps

chipolapitch

OLD SUP
Guys, quit whining, learn the methods, perform them well, (practice them daily) and you are good. Most drivers lose time on package selection and customer contact. Limit these, make reports accurate and you will be fine. I have been an on-car sup. and have ridden with overallowed drivers that followed the methods and all I could do is report...this driver knows his/her job and does it by the book. There is no easy way out for dishonest or people who haven't learned their job. Tje driver's job is complex, nut for the heck of it...how many get the signature first or give complete info on announcing a COD, from whom, ammount and if a company check is ok. I have found that these people are the ones really worried about their jobs, not the ones who know their job and go their best to do it daily. If customers really like us, they will help us get in and out. This is an art, not a science or method. Good Luck

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Be fair here, there are many days that customers are where they should be and if you are getting signatures first, they really can't delay you. Nothing wrong witj asking about chemo as long as you are busy. Drivers really need to learn methods and use them. If driver is following 340 methods he/she is doing their job and no rides in world can change that. Hope this helps

If drivers used EVERY method, they would probably never get done. The problem is that NOBODY uses EVERY method, nobody. Maybe its time to look over the methods and update the list for 2008 standards. Some are outdated and others are so trivial, they just dont make sense to use them.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Guys, quit whining, learn the methods, perform them well, (practice them daily) and you are good. Most drivers lose time on package selection and customer contact. Limit these, make reports accurate and you will be fine. I have been an on-car sup. and have ridden with overallowed drivers that followed the methods and all I could do is report...this driver knows his/her job and does it by the book. There is no easy way out for dishonest or people who haven't learned their job. Tje driver's job is complex, nut for the heck of it...how many get the signature first or give complete info on announcing a COD, from whom, ammount and if a company check is ok. I have found that these people are the ones really worried about their jobs, not the ones who know their job and go their best to do it daily. If customers really like us, they will help us get in and out. This is an art, not a science or method. Good Luck

You know this from being a on car...you see these things, others at ups dont. Selection time is a big waste of time....do you see some of your cars on the load line on a daily basis??? There are cars that have packages all over the place...not a drivers problem...but becomes a drivers problem. Cars are not big enough for todays sizes of packages, there just isnt enough room so preload bulks out the cars...this has been a problem for years. We are not a small parcel company anymore, we are a freight company, multiple boxes you know 1 of 79 box shipments. Ups wanted this kind of volume from the ltl companies now they have to live with the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:ty allowances it takes us to dig the stuff out of a packed p1000. And in regards to customers, some are good about things, others are not, and it changes on a daily basis. UPS cannot expect people to drop everything to sign our board or to leave 10 boxes of paper with the secretary, to have this 110 lb woman carry them back to the freight room. Sometimes ups forgets who the customer is and who paid us to move that box from point a to point b.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
You know this from being a on car...you see these things, others at ups dont. Selection time is a big waste of time....do you see some of your cars on the load line on a daily basis??? There are cars that have packages all over the place...not a drivers problem...but becomes a drivers problem. Cars are not big enough for todays sizes of packages, there just isnt enough room so preload bulks out the cars...this has been a problem for years. We are not a small parcel company anymore, we are a freight company, multiple boxes you know 1 of 79 box shipments. Ups wanted this kind of volume from the ltl companies now they have to live with the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:ty allowances it takes us to dig the stuff out of a packed p1000. And in regards to customers, some are good about things, others are not, and it changes on a daily basis. UPS cannot expect people to drop everything to sign our board or to leave 10 boxes of paper with the secretary, to have this 110 lb woman carry them back to the freight room. Sometimes ups forgets who the customer is and who paid us to move that box from point a to point b.

RIGHT ON!!!!!!:smart: