3rd bid assigned language? (Feeders)

Pickles

Can anyone tell me where this is located in the contract book? I’ve looked and can’t find it.

Example:
Person retires
Their bid is posted and someone signs
That persons bid is posted
Someone signs it and their job is assigned to the lowest seniority person on the coverage board or just the lowest seniority person?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I don't remember if this is from the master or my supplement, read section B.

Screenshot_20180830-065556_Drive.jpg

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Page 15 says they go to the q list but nothing about the 3rd bid

Do you bid annually, semi-anually or lifetime? We bid semi-anually, so if a new person got a good run assigned it would only last a few months.

Tony Q

Can anyone tell me where this is located in the contract book? I’ve looked and can’t find it.

Example:
Person retires
Their bid is posted and someone signs
That persons bid is posted
Someone signs it and their job is assigned to the lowest seniority person on the coverage board or just the lowest seniority person?

Thanks for the help in advance.
I'd tell you but the people here think I suck.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Can anyone find this in central district?

No such language in the Central Region Supplement.

The bids continue until no one bids or a driver without a bid wins the current bid.

There is bumping language, going down until the 6th move is assigned. Article 3 Section 13.

Pickles

No such language in the Central Region Supplement.

The bids continue until no one bids or a driver without a bid wins the current bid.

There is bumping language, going down until the 6th move is assigned. Article 3 Section 13.

Well :censored2:, now I have a whole new argument. Are you sure about this?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Well :censored2:, now I have a whole new argument. Are you sure about this?

I guess it's been awhile, but we have a local practice here of unlimited moves.

Article 3

Section 8

Qualified full-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority may select permanent vacancies and new permanent jobs as provided for in this Article in all months except November and December.

When a permanent new job or permanent vacancy becomes open in a center, it shall be posted by the Employer, within ten (10) days, for a period of five (5) working days, except in the months of November and December.

A permanent new job, for the purpose of this Article, shall be one that has been in existence for a period of thirty (30) calendar days.

Pending the job becoming permanent and the operation of the job selection procedure, management shall have the right to assign any employee to perform the work on a temporary basis. The job selection procedures shall be limited to three (3) moves, the original opening and two (2) others.

Pickles

@Mugarolla , that’s what I was reading was the highlighted stuff.

I feel like it’s not as clear as it used to be. Who does the 3rd move get assigned to? Least seniority driver or least seniority vacation coverage driver?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
When I was driving, 3rd bump, then the job was assigned to the lowest in seniority.

How could it go to the lowest seniority without more senior non-seniority drivers passing. That could allow a brand new driver to jump ahead of someone who's been on the Q list for years waiting for a run to open up.

Where I am the 3rd bid goes to the Q list in seniority order and if no one wants their feeder seniority, the bottom Q list driver is forced to take the run.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
What if the lowest seniority has a spotting job no one wants?
The 3rd bump might be a good job. Say the #25 guy out of 100 has the third bump. After that, the #100 guy gets assigned the #25 job that was vacated. Now, the last guy in seniority that suddenly has a day job won't last long. He will probably get knocked out of that job next time there is bumping going on.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
@Mugarolla , that’s what I was reading was the highlighted stuff.

I feel like it’s not as clear as it used to be. Who does the 3rd move get assigned to? Least seniority driver or least seniority vacation coverage driver?

Depends on local practice, but most likely to a non-bid, or vacation coverage, or qualified list driver.

How could it go to the lowest seniority without more senior non-seniority drivers passing. That could allow a brand new driver to jump ahead of someone who's been on the Q list for years waiting for a run to open up.

Because that's what the contract says.

And that is why we do not follow that language here, and why I forgot it was in the Central Supplement.

Theoretically, a brand new feeder driver could be assigned the 4th best job in the building bypassing 30 or 40 year drivers that would have loved to bid the 3rd open job.

What if the lowest seniority has a spotting job no one wants?

Again, it probably varies everywhere.

Although, it would be difficult to assign someone to an open job that already has a bid. It would then open his job up. If there was no one left qualified, they should just cover it until they can train someone.

And sometimes the bottom feeder driver is forced onto a job that no one wants, including him.

The 3rd bump might be a good job. Say the #25 guy out of 100 has the third bump. After that, the #100 guy gets assigned the #25 job that was vacated. Now, the last guy in seniority that suddenly has a day job won't last long. He will probably get knocked out of that job next time there is bumping going on.

But if there is no bumping going on, and if you are in a building that does not have annual or semi-annual bids, the last guy just hit the lottery.

Even if you have annual bids, this low guy could be on a great job for almost the entire year.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Because that's what the contract says.

Where? I thoroughly understand the 3rd bump rule in my supplement and even posted the page concerning it. It seems very fair since we bid every six months. I find it hard to believe that language that could make feeder seniority skip a hundred drivers or more (I've been to hubs with over 100 drivers on the Q list) is still in the master.

I'm talking feeder seniority. In my area you can be a full-time feeder driver for years and not have feeder seniority. We have Q list drivers who have come into feeders off the street or from part-time with 10+ years in feeders, without gaining feeder seniority. They have turned down chances to take the 3rd bump or bid new runs when our bids come up because they don't want a crappy schedule and make more money on the Q list.

This time of year with vacations slowing down it gets tougher because many of the bid coverage jobs will be on call daily. So the Q list guy who is on call 1 through spring and summer may be on call 18 this week and struggle to get 3-4 days, which is fine because they have been sucking up daily call in mileage runs for the past 6 months and making $2200+ a week vs our bottom runs which are all 4x10 and have you lucky to get 44 hours for the week.

The negative to this strategy is if we lose runs. People with less seniority but who have attained feeder seniority will work before you on coverage.