4/1/10 Fed Gov makes the move to UPS

browndude

No, I was just saying the stockmarket didn't react to the news. In September all stocks rebounded.
If it was a major factor, don't you think Fedex Stock would have went down on the news, of loosing the GSA contract ?

I agree with you, probably good volume.... but not a major money maker, by all means.
Might even be a huge challenge for UPS, to underbeat Fedex by 1 Billion dollars in a 5 year term ($20 million per year, cheaper then fedex).???

uhhhh where i went to school 1 billion dollars over a 5 year term would be $200 million per year not 20 million

I think it's ironic, if we lose a customer to Fedex because we decided not to go lower then them, people think the company is stupid for not matching rates. If we give a larger discount then FDX did, then we are stupid for giving to much away and losing money on the account. Isn't it possible, that a company that has been around for over 100 years, and makes money (even in this last\current recession) does the right thing occasionally?
It would only be ironic if it was the same people making both objections. Not everyone has the same opinion. DUH.

happybob

Feeders
Maybe there is a corolation with whos running the ship in D.C. now. Under the previous republican administration the contract went with nonunion fedex and now its with the union carrier. Could it be that the democrats are taking care of their core suport base?

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Six percent less from what price range. I can't imagine the government negotiating from the same rates that fdx would have charged a corporate customer. I would think there is still a lot of profit to work with here.

anyone want to crunch the numbers on a contract where six percent over five years equates to a billion dollars?
I've never known UPS to take on a revenue losing shipping contract. They let 2 shippers go last year because matching Fedex was too expensive.

Last edited:

Dustyroads

One other factor that enters into an effective analysis of profit on a package involves where the package is being shipped, specifically to what kind of business. UPS delivers to most Federal offices every day, at least in our center, nearly every office in the Federal building has packages every day. To add other pieces to the current volume going to those addresses may involve more costs with pickup and transportation to the delivery center, but the cost of going to the delivery location is pretty much nill, since we go there every day. I'm pretty sure that more volume going to places we already usually deliver is a good thing.

happybob

Feeders
Just curious. Wasn't the old adage that for every additional 70 packages added to the system it would corrrolate to an additional job created?

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I'm wondering if Fred S is finally seeing the writing on the wall? If he loses this FAA re-authorization he will not be able to handle major accounts without incurring a lost.

My take? You'll see major account changes if this decision favors us. When that happens, it will be a great time time to put the screws to the purple and orange.

browned out

There are a lot of good people over there even though they wear the purp and orange. They just need a little more pay and a lot more parcels on their trucks.

Put the screws to the screwer who is known as Mr Fred S as in Mr Smith tries to buy Washington.

JonFrum

Just curious. Wasn't the old adage that for every additional 70 packages added to the system it would corrrolate to an additional job created?
Yeah. I always wondered where they got that figure.

Wouldn't each package have to cost about $2,000 to ship to cover the wages, benefits, and overhead of a full-time position?