401k issue

That's kind of what I do. 10% taken out of my check every week. I don't notice it missing. I know where it's at and I know it's getting bigger. I'll check it once a year max.
It will drive you crazy looking at it everyday. Especially when the market is going down. Make a plan and stick with it. Increase your contributions when you get your raise.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you should diversify. most of mine is in s&p 500. about 60 %. not even sure since i only check once a month and once a year i redistribute funds to keep a proper balance.

for example i have about 10% in precious metals and when that went crazy a couple years ago it was up to almost !5% of my total portfolio so i redistributed 5% to other sectors.

i keep some in a reit fund ( real estate ) and 25% in the international funds which has been performing pretty well. also have a small amount in other sectors like small cap companies, etc. research yourself to see how you should diversify for your age group.

it usually works that when one sector is down like the S&P then precious metals go up and kind of balance each other out. that is basically why you should diversify.

if possible , contribute the max and watch it grow. you also save a ton on taxes. we have close to a mill and it only took 20 years.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just wondering on the prudential site if there is a way to check the daily/weekly dollar amount in my 401k. Im able to see performance in % but don't know how to see how much I've gained or lost dollar wise. Just the other day it seemed like I was up quite a bit, but now it seems lower but can't access my previous account values. I'm invested mainly in the S&P mid cap blend
Don't get caught up on how it moves day to day.

Your quarterly reports are plenty.