401K Withdrawl

badpal

Yes, I will pay taxes on distributions from my Traditional IRA. The big selling point of a 401k or Traditional IRA is that the taxes should be lower when you retire as your income is normally lower.

I have been slowly converting the funds in my Traditional to my Roth. I have 20% withheld for Federal taxes and will get most of that back when I file. The funds in the Roth can then be withdrawn tax free.
How is your traditional ira conversion going? i kinda looked into that but it kinda scared me. need to look again and talk to somebody smart. I just turned 60 so wonder if i should just cash in . A guy gonna pay tax either way and if we get new president in 2021 sure tax rates wont be as good.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
How is your traditional ira conversion going? i kinda looked into that but it kinda scared me. need to look again and talk to somebody smart. I just turned 60 so wonder if i should just cash in . A guy gonna pay tax either way and if we get new president in 2021 sure tax rates wont be as good.
Smaller amounts over time keeps you in the lower tax brackets.

What don't you so an in kind distribution, stay in the market and make your RMD smaller when they time comes.

What are the major drawbacks of them? I aint got none or even checked into them much, But know my 90 year old daddy has some and really seems to like them. Wonder if i should say something to him, but he would just tell me to pound sand anyway.
Lots of hidden fees. They don't have to disclose everything like a mutual fund has to

CoffeeStainedUniform

What are the major drawbacks of them? I aint got none or even checked into them much, But know my 90 year old daddy has some and really seems to like them. Wonder if i should say something to him, but he would just tell me to pound sand anyway.
At 90, I wouldn't fuss too much about it. Some "fixed" annuities might even be as good for his situation. If you inherit them, get them switched over though.

old levi's

blank space
I have a question about taking money out of my Traditional 401K. I am currently working and 61 years old. I am thinking about retiring August or October of next year. We are looking at building a new house in an Active 55 Retirement Community and moving then. I want to take some money out of my 401K next Spring as a down payment to start construction before I sell my current home. So my question is can I take some out just for that or do I have to make myself a loan and pay it back to myself?

Going to relocate in Florida?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Looks nice! What model house are looking at?
I am thinking an optioned out mid-range Abbeville or one of the bigger Magnolia models. You can easily add up to $50-70K in options like another bedroom/loft upstairs, extended garage, and sunroom on the back. This is a gated community with a golf course and giant clubhouse with a indoor pool and workout areas. Sidewalks, golf cart lanes, and hiking trails all over. Its about 35 miles South of Atlanta, housing is reasonably priced out that way.