401K Withdrawl

badpal

I am thinking an optioned out mid-range Abbeville or one of the bigger Magnolia models. You can easily add up to $50-70K in options like another bedroom/loft upstairs, extended garage, and sunroom on the back. This is a gated community with a golf course and giant clubhouse with a indoor pool and workout areas. Sidewalks, golf cart lanes, and hiking trails all over. Its about 35 miles South of Atlanta, housing is reasonably priced out that way.
Would you have to pay a yearly fee too live there?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I called Prudential last night and talked to a couple of people. Since I'm 61 I can make withdrawls from my 401K but will have to pay 20% Federal taxes and 5.75% Georgia taxes up front. They do make Closing Cost Loans. I can apply for a Hardship Loan and pay 5.7% interest back over five years, those take a week to approve. I just want a short term loan I can pay back when I sell my current house. I'm going to talk to a couple of banker friends next week and see what they can do. I really don't want to take money out of investments, I'm just trying to figure out the smartest way to do this.

I called Prudential last night and talked to a couple of people. Since I'm 61 I can make withdrawls from my 401K but will have to pay 20% Federal taxes and 5.75% up front. They do make Closing Cost Loans. I can apply for a Hardship Loan and pay 5.7% interest back over five years, those take a week to approve. I just want a short term loan I can pay back when I sell my current house. I'm going to talk to a couple of banker friends next week and see what they can do. I really don't want to take money out of investments, I'm just trying to figure out the smartest way to do this.
Take out a home equity loan on your current home?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Take out a home equity loan on your current home?
I could do that but my house would have to be appraised and there are closing costs added in too. The Developer/mortgage company doesn't offer construction loans. The companies like Open Door that buy houses do work with my builder to buy my current house and close at the same time the new one would be ready. But they want to offer about $25K under my current estimated appraised amount for that convenience.

I could do that but my house would have to be appraised and there are closing costs added in too. The Developer/mortgage company doesn't offer construction loans. The companies like Open Door that buy houses do work with my builder to buy my current house and close at the same time the new one would be ready. But they want to offer about $25K under my current estimated appraised amount for that convenience.
No closing costs on a home equity loan

Seriously give your bank a call,they probably have a loan that would work for you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I called Prudential last night and talked to a couple of people. Since I'm 61 I can make withdrawls from my 401K but will have to pay 20% Federal taxes and 5.75% Georgia taxes up front. They do make Closing Cost Loans. I can apply for a Hardship Loan and pay 5.7% interest back over five years, those take a week to approve. I just want a short term loan I can pay back when I sell my current house. I'm going to talk to a couple of banker friends next week and see what they can do. I really don't want to take money out of investments, I'm just trying to figure out the smartest way to do this.

the bank won’t make a bridge loan sometimes called a swing loan
until you sell

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Like I said, I have a couple of banker friends and I will see if I can get a short term signature loan with my excellent credit or something like that. Both were bank presidents and have approval powers. I have taken out a couple of home equity loans on my current house in the past and I did have to meet with an attorney and had closing costs.

oldngray

nowhere special
Like I said, I have a couple of banker friends and I will see if I can get a short term signature loan with my excellent credit or something like that. Both were bank presidents and have approval powers. I have taken out a couple of home equity loans on my current house in the past and I did have to meet with an attorney and had closing costs.
Home equity loan is a second mortgage. Just by another name.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I still say, take the loan from your 401k, aka down payment for primary home, and pay it back when you close, and sell. Less headache, no searching. You are paying yourself back the whole time.