6 Years And.......

browniehound

Our routes are up for bid this year, and for the past 6 years I've been on the same route. I guess the guy from across town thought that this route would be better than the route he is currently on, so he bumped me. Though I've become comfortable on this route, which is far from easy, though I make it look that way, I know that this is life and many things don't last in life. At times change can be good, so I'm going to accept this change as God's will, and move on to bigger and better things.

No, this doesn't mean I'm quitting UPS, or God forbid, going into MGMT. It simply means that some things are not in my control, I realize that, and won't fight against this change. Hey, I might even find better things to take pictures of.

Will I pick the "Downtown" route, will I pick a "Central" route, or will I take the route "Out West"? To be continued....

Sorry to hear this as its always tough when you get bumped. You were comfortable for six years and now you have to do something new. I feel for you, but at the same time its not God's will. Its the UPS-Teamster contract and we have to abide by it for better or worse. Its because of this that you have the opportunity to bump, so maybe you should look at this positive?

rod

Retired 22 years
We always bid for life (unless the route changed more than 50%). I delivered the same little town for 25 years. I knew everyone, where they worked, their kids and pets names and who was boinking who. I lost track of the number of times I was sworn to secrecy because someone told me something about someone else. I never ratted on anyone because you wouldn't last a minute in a small town if they found out you were spreading stories. I could do that route in my sleep and thats the way I liked it.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sounds like Karma to me! You run and gun it for the old boss, which makes your route appear to be easier than it is. Then your upset that a more senior driver bumps you! Now everyone is screwed. Also US1 is not safe to drive on while your bulkhead door is open and talking on your cell. Too much eratic traffic. How many accidents have you had in the past two years? Just wondering.
Really, because to me it sounds like there was just a lot of route shifting going on. BTW, you're right, I do drive on US1, though I don't drive on US1 with my bulkhead door oper, nor do I talk on the cellphone I inherited from my soon to be ex. That phone stays home, where it should stay. When I get home I return calls and texts, not that it's any of your business. As for the feelings of the route switch, it's as all things in life. I live day to day, because tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Stung

Getting bumped is part of UPS life for some. John, the guy that ran the route next to mine (well actually my old route when John started) got bumped this year. Been on it for almost 20 years. It will be interesting to see how that route picks up additional volume. It seems that John has been getting by pretty easy because he is the supplier of college football tickets to management. We will see if that continues with someone else running the route.

As to being divorced, that is really tough. And to be totally in love with your girls makes it even tougher. Some parents think of their kids the same way others think of the bag that lunch came in. Shame your wife is not that type.

Enjoy life, accept challenges, overcome adversity, stand tall, and love your children with a passion every time you get the chance. Not saying you should spoil them.........

d
AGREED!!!

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I feeders, we bid every 6 months. I can only go to Atlanta or Columbia, and since I am the low man on the totem pole, I take what's left, and be happy I am not in Package.

air_dr

Sorry to hear this as its always tough when you get bumped...I feel for you, but at the same time its not God's will. Its the UPS-Teamster contract and we have to abide by it for better or worse...
Many people, myself included, would say you are creating a false dichotomy here. The thinking goes like this: God is the first or primary cause, but he typically works through the created order of things, in this case the contract, which are secondary causes, for His ultimate purposes. So in this case a new route for STUG is God's will being fulfilled through the routine route bidding process, even if voices, in all likelihood, will not be heard speaking from the heavens or flames of fire come down to annoint drivers for new route assignments...

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Many people, myself included, would say you are creating a false dichotomy here. The thinking goes like this: God is the first or primary cause, but he typically works through the created order of things, in this case the contract, which are secondary causes, for His ultimate purposes. So in this case a new route for STUG is God's will being fulfilled through the routine route bidding process, even if voices, in all likelihood, will not be heard speaking from the heavens or flames of fire come down to annoint drivers for new route assignments...
Awesome post, thanks!

whiskey

i have been on a few routes. And have made life long friendships from every route. In that respect, package car is by far the best job at UPS. It is even better than any job in Atlanta.

old levi's

blank space
Here's a bump story for you: It took me 23 years to get my first bid route. Got bumped off it 6 weeks later. Oh well..................

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The thing about the route in question is, I started on this route pulling a TP60 with an 800. No power, 22" step, etc... Now the route has a 06 1200 diesel. Still the same pkgs, but a tempting moresel, if you will. The guy that bid the route is out with MAJOR hip surgery. I want to see hoe he fairs, when he gets back. I have my doubts....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Update* I've been hearing that the driver who bumped me, is WAY unhappy with his choice, and is complaining to all who will listen. I took this as hearsay, until my center manager talked to me about this. I told he should just switch us back, to which he said, I don't know, and said he would talk to the union. The driver in question and I are right next to each other in seniority, so the shop steward said the BA gave the okay, because there's no one in between us to get upset. So as of today, I'm back on the old route, WooHoo!!!

I say WooHoo, but really felt the 417 pkgs I delivered, though getting off the clock at 5pm, was quite a treat.

old levi's

blank space
Update* I've been hearing that the driver who bumped me, is WAY unhappy with his choice, and is complaining to all who will listen. I took this as hearsay, until my center manager talked to me about this. I told he should just switch us back, to which he said, I don't know, and said he would talk to the union. The driver in question and I are right next to each other in seniority, so the shop steward said the BA gave the okay, because there's no one in between us to get upset. So as of today, I'm back on the old route, WooHoo!!!

I say WooHoo, but really felt the 417 pkgs I delivered, though getting off the clock at 5pm, was quite a treat.

Well, the burning question has to be: "Did you get some past due sugar from your old route girlfriends?"

brownboxman

It always amazes me to find the differences in how we are managed accross the country, here in Oregon we keep the route we bid till we bid another or quit.

Cementups

Box Monkey
It always amazes me to find the differences in how we are managed accross the country, here in Oregon we keep the route we bid till we bid another or quit.

BBM, it's the same everywhere but the fact that he is in a small center and they are neighbors in seniority allowed it. And they checked with the Union to make sure it was ok.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

BBM, it's the same everywhere but the fact that he is in a small center and they are neighbors in seniority allowed it. And they checked with the Union to make sure it was ok.

We bid every 3 years. The situation with Steve and the other driver switching was OK because they were one after the other in seniority; had there been anyone in between them it would not have worked.

Brown Stain

I am top swing driver and love it because i get to run the good routes, instead of having a tough route for two years. After all we are all here looking to reach the same goal....